Droid Video Conversion_via_Handbrake_Free

dnallen123

Reaction score
The purpose of the following thread is to, explain in detail, the process of converting a video file into the proper format so that you can play the video on your Droid--without spending a dime.

1st: obtain your video, Ie: *.avi
2nd: download an Open Source (free) copy of Handbrake
3rd: Open Handbrake
4rth: Click on the "Source" button to select your video from a location on your computer...if it's on a DVD, just select the Disk--not the files within.
5th: Select the IPhone preset. This will adjust the size and resolution automatically.
6th: Click on the "Start" button
7th: Once encoding has finished, plug your Droid into the computer via USB.
8th: Pull down the notification bar on your Droid and select "Turn On USB Storage" this will allow you to read/write files from the Droid--as a regular drive.
9th: In Windows Explorer, navigate to the "F:\DCIM\Camera" folder on your Droid's SD Card. F= your drive letter.
10th: copy and paste your newly converted video file into the "Camera" directory, as defined in step 9.
11th: safely remove the device from Windows.
12th: pull the notification bar back down and select the "Turn off USB Storage"...make sure you've completed step 11..press "turn off"
13th: Navigate to your "gallery" application on the Droid
14th: Navigate to "Camera Videos"
15th: Select your video.
16th: Congrats, your done, enjoy.:icon_eek:

sqchram

Reaction score
Will the iPhone preset be appropriate since the droid has a higher resolution screen?

Welcome to Droiforums.net too!

D

dvdcatalyst

Not to be a pain, but you are missing a few important things.

Resolution.
As mentioned in the first reply, the resolution. the iPhone has 480x320 as a resolution, and the Droid has 854x480. Even though DVDs usually have a slightly lower resolution (720x480 848x576 etc) downsizing it to the iPhones resolution will result in a lower quality video file to play on the Droid. The iPhone resolution will be upscaled when played on the Droid to fill the screen more.

Store-bought/rented DVDs.
The method you describe does not work with these DVDs directly, unless you have a program such as AnyDVD (not free) running to remove the protection.

Reaction score
What formats does HB work with? I am trying this with an MPG file and it doesnt recognize the source :(

Palantirion

Reaction score
The purpose of the following thread is to, explain in detail, the process of converting a video file into the proper format so that you can play the video on your Droid--without spending a dime.

1st: obtain your video, Ie: *.avi
2nd: download an Open Source (free) copy of Handbrake
3rd: Open Handbrake
4rth: Click on the "Source" button to select your video from a location on your computer...if it's on a DVD, just select the Disk--not the files within.
5th: Select the IPhone preset. This will adjust the size and resolution automatically.
6th: Click on the "Start" button
7th: Once encoding has finished, plug your Droid into the computer via USB.
8th: Pull down the notification bar on your Droid and select "Turn On USB Storage" this will allow you to read/write files from the Droid--as a regular drive.
9th: In Windows Explorer, navigate to the "F:\DCIM\Camera" folder on your Droid's SD Card. F= your drive letter.
10th: copy and paste your newly converted video file into the "Camera" directory, as defined in step 9.
11th: safely remove the device from Windows.
12th: pull the notification bar back down and select the "Turn off USB Storage"...make sure you've completed step 11..press "turn off"
13th: Navigate to your "gallery" application on the Droid
14th: Navigate to "Camera Videos"
15th: Select your video.
16th: Congrats, your done, enjoy.:icon_eek:
-Thanks for the DIY! Handbrake is an awesome tool.

I used it to turn 3 AVIs into MP4s. All of them transferred ok to my droid and show up in my gallery. But only one actually plays properly - the other two play with a black screen and proper audio. Can you advise me how to fix this?

FireDroid

Reaction score
Trust me, I messed with handbrake for an hour and a half trying to rip "Fanboy's" dvd. It was not working with any of things I was doing, so I tried a free version of DVDCatalyst 3 and it worked the first time easy as anything. I then Bought the software ($9.95) and ripped the whole movie no problems!! It is really worth the $10 bucks for those not as computer savvy!! Oh and it also comes with a PDF instruction booklet with step by step directions with screen shots!!! I cant wait to start ripping my collection! This was also the first time I have tried to rip a DVD.