droid tether to xoom?

ericu

Reaction score
Please advise: I want to tether my Xoom (3.2) to an android phone (right now I have a Droid). I’ve read more posts than my brain can deal with and have not found the solution. It may be out there but as I said, there are so many posts dealing with so many phone types, computers (windows based), and android operating systems that my head is spinning.

I had a Toshiba Thrive (3.1) that connected to my Motorola Droid (1) by using PdaNet tablet. This worked well but I returned my Thrive because of GPS problems. I ended up getting a Motorola Xoom (3.2) but PdaNet tablet will not connect. I don’t know if it is the result of going from 3.1 to 3.2 or because of some other difference in the Thrive vs the Xoom.

I have tried other (non-root) solutions to connecting my tablet to my Droid (Bluetooth tether). These would not connect.

My questions:

1) My Droid is through Verizon and it is due for an upgrade soon. Are there newer phones that will act as wifi hotspots (without rooting) and work with my Xoom? If so I will just upgrade to one of these (suggestions??) and be done with it.

2) If I need to root does anyone know of a tried and true solution to tethering a Droid to a Xoom (3.2)?

Thanks

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The newer phones do have wifi hotspots where you pay for the tethering ability. That is a non-rooting solution that will most likely work.

To be sure, I'd bring the Xoom into a Verizon store and tell the reps you'd like a demo of your xoom being tethered to the new phone you want, just so you know it works for piece of mind.

OP
E

ericu

Reaction score
How to: Bluetooth Tether to Motorola XOOM Using Original DROID - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog But you do need to be rooted on the droid at least, not sure about the xoom.

Thanks for the link. I think I'll give this a shot. One question - the link above refers to another link that shows instructions for rooting the droid. It refers to build FRG22D. I'm assuming I need a root for my phone's build: FRG83G. I found some sites for rooting that build. Not having done this before I assume I follow the root for FRG83G and then follow the remaining instructions in the link you provided.

Thanks again

OP
E

ericu

Reaction score
How to: Bluetooth Tether to Motorola XOOM Using Original DROID - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog But you do need to be rooted on the droid at least, not sure about the xoom.

Thanks a ton. I finally decided to root my droid. I used superoneclick instead of the method described in your link. I couldn't get wifi tether (version 3.1 beta 2) to work on my phone (couldn't find any bluetooth option) but found another bluetooth tether (open garden wifi tether) that seems to work fine. For those who might want to know my phone is an original droid running 2.2.2/FRG83G and my xoom is running 3.2.

Thanks again

Stachre

Reaction score
another bluetooth tether (open garden wifi tether) that seems to work fine. For those who might want to know my phone is an original droid running 2.2.2/FRG83G and my xoom is running 3.2.

A number of users are having issues with Bluetooth tethering on 3.2. Several have reported the loss of tethering altogether with specific devices that worked with 3.1; however, the more common one is that the first BT tether attempt succeeds, and subsequent BT tether attempts fail until reboot.

I'm investigating the latter and working on a fix, so I'm curious... do you have any issues disconnecting then retethering your Xoom to your Droid?

wcjeep

Reaction score
No problem with bt tether between my moto xoom 3.2 and Droid x with GB. Neither rooted.

Boaty1302

Reaction score
No problem with bt tether between my moto xoom 3.2 and Droid x with GB. Neither rooted.

How did you do it. I bought my xoom today. While in the store, I tethered my Droid X to the floor model and it worked fine. Now that I am home, the two connect but I can't get on the internet. What gives?

wcjeep

Reaction score
I'm using wireless tether from the market. It also works with my neighbors droid x on my xoom.