Droid Sales marching towards 1 million

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
one-mil-droids.jpg

Motorola and Verizon’s $100 million marketing push seems to be paying off: The much-ballyhooed Droid smartphone made by Motorola and powered by Google’s Android 2.0 OS is inching toward its goal of a million devices sold during the fourth quarter of 2009. The two companies have thus far sold between 700,000 and 800,000 Droids, according to data collected by RBC Capital Markets analyst Mark Sue.

Broadpoint AmTech analyst Mark McKechnie estimated a few weeks ago that Motorola was going to sell 600,000 Droids. Looks like we have gone well past those estimates. McKechnie expected Motorola to sell about a million Android-based phones during the quarter. Demand for Droid might be stronger than previously indicated, Sue’s numbers show.

Droid Nears Its Million-Device Target – GigaOM

ltfrakes

Reaction score
I was trying to find out how many iphones AT&T has in service, but all the info I find seems old. Any idea on the numbers?

stads_md

Reaction score
Corporate Sales

Any idea of the percentage of those 600K units sold to corporations? How many units does VZ/GOOG/MOT project it will sell to corporations over the next few quarters?

I ask, because a majority of whatever units were sold for corporate use will be put back to VZ stores over the final weeks of Q4 (as trial periods run out). And any projected future sales for corporate use are overstated.

I respect the issues that personal users are bringing up (and they are issues for me as well), but in terms of the top line the biggest issue -- and the story that I don't even see showing up on any of the tech/gadget blogs -- is the lack of support for secured ME Activesync use.

The issue is already the third most-starred on Google's Android code page, passing issues that have been outstanding for six to twelve months. No formal response from Google has been issued. And both the existance of the issue and this lack of coverage from VZ/GOOG/MOT will (perhaps irrevocably) kill this phone as a corporate tool.

Would love for this site or others (e.g., Engadget) to push for a formal reply.

Thanks. Love the site.

Varking

Reaction score
Regardless, this means the phone is doing very well and I would hope with more users, that would lead to more and more new apps in the market, as well as raise the quality of apps in the market.

H

hackthedroid

I was trying to find out how many iphones AT&T has in service, but all the info I find seems old. Any idea on the numbers?

Well I don't know how many iPhones AT&T specifically has in service, but Apple has sold over 30 million as of August of this year.

stads_md

Reaction score
Regardless, this means the phone is doing very well and I would hope with more users, that would lead to more and more new apps in the market, as well as raise the quality of apps in the market.
V.:

Well, okay -- and I agree the phone's been well received; I'm liking it more than I expected -- but how many will be able to keep it.

The Activesync issue trumps however much corporate users may otherwise like the phone. Corporate IT admins cannot allow the phone to be used without security protocol in place. So, I'm questioning "how well the phone is doing," if the 700-800K number includes (and it almost certainly does) a significant number of corporate users who will have to return the phone.

z.

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
I'd personally like to know how it's pacing in the comparative timeframe of the iPhone (when it was initially released). That'd be interesting to track over the coming months.

- Mega

10ACTony

Reaction score
V.:

Well, okay -- and I agree the phone's been well received; I'm liking it more than I expected -- but how many will be able to keep it.

The Activesync issue trumps however much corporate users may otherwise like the phone. Corporate IT admins cannot allow the phone to be used without security protocol in place. So, I'm questioning "how well the phone is doing," if the 700-800K number includes (and it almost certainly does) a significant number of corporate users who will have to return the phone.

z.

Do you really think that a corporation will get these or any phone in bulk before there IT dept has a chance to see if they meet requirements. I can't see the number involved as that great to drastically affect year end results.

10ACTony

Reaction score
I'd personally like to know how it's pacing in the comparative timeframe of the iPhone (when it was initially released). That'd be interesting to track over the coming months.

- Mega

I'm not sure that comparing the Droid's release to the iPhones release would be fair. iPhone was the first of it's kind and there was nothing but millions of folks looking for something like that. Now there's 30M users that already have a competing product. I think Droid is doing just fine.

atlharry

Reaction score
No corporate IT department would do such a thing (unless they just didn't care about their jobs). Even the mighty iPhone has only recently seen an increase in corporate use... YEARS after its introduction. As far as corporate use is concerned, BB is still king.

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score

- Mega

I'm not sure that comparing the Droid's release to the iPhones release would be fair. iPhone was the first of it's kind and there was nothing but millions of folks looking for something like that. Now there's 30M users that already have a competing product. I think Droid is doing just fine.

Nooooo... I said, it would be interesting to see how it's pacing and to track it over the coming months. I'm fully aware of iDrone's presence / established customer-base. ;)

- Mega

StupidGenius

Reaction score

- Mega
I believe a recall reading on a tech site that the original iPhone sold 1 million units over its first 10 weeks.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
No corporate IT department would do such a thing (unless they just didn't care about their jobs). Even the mighty iPhone has only recently seen an increase in corporate use... YEARS after its introduction. As far as corporate use is concerned, BB is still king.

Yup only the Iphone 3Gs was allowed into most corporate places. And I being in IT would never buy a phone in bulk without testing it out. If any IT admin did this, I would hope he got walked right out the door the next day. The reason I state this is because this is #1 a new phone #2 a whole new operating system, which wasn't even released for public SDK until what.. 2 weeks before it's official release. BB is king because they have strived to do one thing, and one thing only for the past years. As many of the bugs get fixed and the OS becomes alittle more mainstream, then 1 unit. You might see it being incorporated a little more into the business place.