Droid Rookie

Maximus205

Reaction score
Sup people. Just got my first ever smartphone/Droid and love it. Its like I've been in a cave or something. I've been lurking the forums for awhile reading about the phone and you guys sold me on it once I read that it was customizable. I'm wilingl to learn how to root so I can customize and hopefully make my own wallpapers and boot up intros. I'm on the road 5 days out the week so I have plenty of time to learn. Thx in advance for any help or support I receive from you guys. DROID DANCE!!!dancedroid

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Welcome

Sup people. Just got my first ever smartphone/Droid and love it. Its like I've been in a cave or something. I've been lurking the forums for awhile reading about the phone and you guys sold me on it once I read that it was customizable. I'm wilingl to learn how to root so I can customize and hopefully make my own wallpapers and boot up intros. I'm on the road 5 days out the week so I have plenty of time to learn. Thx in advance for any help or support I receive from you guys. DROID DANCE!!!dancedroid

Welcome aboard and thanks for introducing yourself. There are plenty of great videos out there that can walk you through rooting and other sites that do a step by step as well. Or a few apps that will do it for you. Once you feel comfortable and do it, start looking into custom ROMs. I suggest getting ROM Manger (paid [inexpensive] but well worth money) due to the additional things you can do within the program and Titanium Backup. Together, they make saving & restoring everything in case of problems very easy.

J

Johnly

Welcome, after you have read up on rooting, the process is actually not that bad...sounds like you will be soon : )

OP
Maximus205

Maximus205

Reaction score

Welcome aboard and thanks for introducing yourself. There are plenty of great videos out there that can walk you through rooting and other sites that do a step by step as well. Or a few apps that will do it for you. Once you feel comfortable and do it, start looking into custom ROMs. I suggest getting ROM Manger (paid [inexpensive] but well worth money) due to the additional things you can do within the program and Titanium Backup. Together, they make saving & restoring everything in case of problems very easy.
Yea I just saw the Rom Manager app but didn't know which one to get. One is free and the other is premium for $3.99. Is there a difference besides the price? Also whats a good app that can root for me?

fish1552

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S23 Ultra
Twitter
fish1552
Yea I just saw the Rom Manager app but didn't know which one to get. One is free and the other is premium for $3.99. Is there a difference besides the price? Also whats a good app that can root for me?

It's been so long I can't really remember the difference between the two. One thing I *do* know is that it turns off the ads, which to me is worth it in itself. :) And I believe that it also allows you to keep more than 1 backup and mange those backups such as rename, browse and delete.
When you download the free version, so options will be greyed out, which are unlocked when you get the premium version.

As far as root apps you might want to just monitor the forums here and see. EasyRoot sounded like it was gonna be good, but Google abruptly pulled it from the market after a few days. I think another is something like DWMod? I did a Google search and came up with Droid Root Pro & DroidRootKit (Official AGreen BHM's Droid RootKit Support Thread), but honestly, I did mine using the manual method with SPRecovery and RSDLite. It only took me 20 minutes maybe and 75% of that was reading everything carefully to make sure I did it right. Plus with the video, it made it much easier to see it rather than read it. I just paused it at each step. I found it here: How to: Root Android 2.1 and Install Android 2.2 on Motorola DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Hope that gets you started.

OP
Maximus205

Maximus205

Reaction score

It's been so long I can't really remember the difference between the two. One thing I *do* know is that it turns off the ads, which to me is worth it in itself. :) And I believe that it also allows you to keep more than 1 backup and mange those backups such as rename, browse and delete.
When you download the free version, so options will be greyed out, which are unlocked when you get the premium version.

As far as root apps you might want to just monitor the forums here and see. EasyRoot sounded like it was gonna be good, but Google abruptly pulled it from the market after a few days. I think another is something like DWMod? I did a Google search and came up with Droid Root Pro & DroidRootKit (Official AGreen BHM's Droid RootKit Support Thread), but honestly, I did mine using the manual method with SPRecovery and RSDLite. It only took me 20 minutes maybe and 75% of that was reading everything carefully to make sure I did it right. Plus with the video, it made it much easier to see it rather than read it. I just paused it at each step. I found it here: How to: Root Android 2.1 and Install Android 2.2 on Motorola DROID | Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Hope that gets you started.
Extra thx for the video. dancedroid One more question if you dont mind. ROMS. Can you have more than one? Because I see people making wallpapers and emulators but you need a certain ROM to run it.