Droid Questions

Fusion

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have an upgrade coming in late may and I don't know would be better for me. The Droid or the Blackberry (Essex / Tour 2 / Bold) whatever it is lol.

I use a few instant messengers like AIM, MSN messenger, yahoo messenger, skype.

I like to browse the web alot.

I need a good keyboard.

And the battery needs to go a little over half a day.

How is the droid with all these things?

Thanks in advance :blackdroid:

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Hey guys,

I have an upgrade coming in late may and I don't know would be better for me. The Droid or the Blackberry (Essex / Tour 2 / Bold) whatever it is lol.

I need a good keyboard.

In a nutshell yes. The keyboard may take some getting used to. But it'll do what you need and then some.

warrior21

Reaction score
With one app on the droid you can have all of the messengers. The keyboard is nothing like the blackberry so it will take some getting used to but overall it isn't too bad. My wife was a curve user and now loves the droid. In her words the benefits definitely outweigh the negatives.

VolDroid

Reaction score
I was using a Blackberry before the switch myself and if you are browsing the web "alot" then the Droid will blow it out of the water. Like the other guy said you can get the instant messengers on here also.

AndyP

Reaction score
droid v blackberry

Your one statement says it all. I like to surf the web. I just got out of a storm2 and into a droid. I love the droid. Web surf, video- no comparison.

I miss my keyboard a little but I am getting used to the on screen keyboard. My hands are too big for the slide out one.

The droid is so much better than a blackberry- I will never look back. Battery life is better too.

If business email is a must though check to see that you will be able to use the droid. The blackberry blows it away in this category.

Otherwise- GO DROID!

ajGoes

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need a good keyboard.

It would be a huge stretch to describe the Droid's keyboard as "good". If you discipline yourself to use it a lot in the first week or so, you may grow to tolerate it and quit making errors. The original Droids that you'll see in Verizon ads had a more tolerable but still ill-conceived keyboard. I'm amazed the new keyboard ever made it into production.

YMMV, of course.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need a good keyboard.

It would be a huge stretch to describe the Droid's keyboard as "good". If you discipline yourself to use it a lot in the first week or so, you may grow to tolerate it and quit making errors. The original Droids that you'll see in Verizon ads had a more tolerable but still ill-conceived keyboard. I'm amazed the new keyboard ever made it into production.

YMMV, of course.

Glad you put that in there.:) Many people are happy with the keyboard. I myself use the virtual keyboard.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score

I need a good keyboard.
My take:

Web browsing is better on the Droid. Try one out and see for yourself. The sites you frequent could make a difference. It's also possible that it might not matter at all.

The Droid's physical keyboard is not what I'd call good. It is a very subjective matter so, again, you need to try it out for yourself. Coming from a BB 8310 I thought a physical keyboard was a must-have. These days, I only use the physical keyboard for gaming. For everything else I use the virtual keyboard with Swype.

Remember that a lot of things are very subjective when it comes to selecting a smartphone. You need to find what suits you -- not what suits everyone else. Get out there and get some first hand experience.