Droid phone reception

sminton2000

Reaction score
I have had my Droid about a week and I love it except for one thing - I get terrible phone reception in my house. My wife and daugher both have Verizon phones as well and they get great reception here in the house. Neither of their phones are smart phones. I had he exact same problem with the Samsung I760 I replaced with the Droid. Does the phone portion of all smart phones typically not work as well as regular phones? I know I can get a signal booster/repeater that would probably fix my problem but I would rather not have to spend the $$$. This situation is really a PIA. Any insight or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Scott

iiimegamaniii

Reaction score
Heya Scott,

I too came from a Samsung i-760. For me, the phone reception has been the same as well as the call clarity / quality (which was decent where I live). For data, I'm getting better reception with the DROID than the i-760.

I can't say for sure what your problem may be, but thought I'd chime-in to let you know my reception is about the same as my wife's phone (who is also on Verizon using a standard phone).

- Mega

Sleeve

Reaction score
Are you basing reception on call quality or number of bars? Bars were created by marketing people.

Zippster

Reaction score
Heya Scott,

I too came from a Samsung i-760. For me, the phone reception has been the same as well as the call clarity / quality (which was decent where I live). For data, I'm getting better reception with the DROID than the i-760.

I can't say for sure what your problem may be, but thought I'd chime-in to let you know my reception is about the same as my wife's phone (who is also on Verizon using a standard phone).

- Mega

See now for me, my I-730 seemed clearer in call then my Droid.

OP
S

sminton2000

Reaction score
Are you basing reception on call quality or number of bars? Bars were created by marketing people.
I'm basing reception on call quality or lack thereof. The phone drops calls constantly when I try to use it in the house. Wife and daughter's Verizon phones never seem to drop calls.

TomN

Reaction score
That's not good at all! My Droid has about the same reception/call quality around the house as my wife's Storm and my Moto VU204 that I use for work.

Anonymouse

Reaction score
Try calling... *228 I think it is? It updates your phone with local towers, maybe that'll raise your signal?

mjs31

Reaction score
OAs mentioned hopefully you are not basing it on bars. I see the Droid as showing 1 to 2 bars less than the BB tour and the motorola 815 with the same actual reception. Look under status to get your actual reception. All bars are not equal. Should be based on call quality and dropped calls along with you dBm which can be found under phones status.

Edit: oops. I see you already said it was based on reception and lost calls. Mine has not had that issue at all.

mjs31

Reaction score
*22899 is even better. It automatically updates both items without having to go through the system prompts.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
All i can say is that this phone gets full reception in places my old phone didn't, so i'm happy with it. I had Voice and 3g where my other phone only found roaming at. To me it's 100%.

GBH2

Reaction score
I have found the reception on my Droid to be excellent - and I live in an area that has terrible signal strength. Nobody wants a cell tower near THEIR house.

I constantly dropped calls with my xv6900(HTC Touch) and I never drop calls with my Droid. I get better reception than friends with LG env's and env 2's. I think the reception might actually come close to my old v710, which was hands down the best phone I ever had for pulling it a weak signal.

Donkey Hodie

Reaction score
I've also found the reception on my Droid to be very good, consistently better than the BB Tour it replaced.

mrvogt

Reaction score
Along this topic...based on bars alone, I noticed I have more rs showing when I am on 3G than on wifi while at home? Does this make sense? My overall in-house reception is flaky at best. Out of the house it is much better.