Droid or Eris or wait for the Passion?

FlyByNight

Reaction score
I have been following the Droid since the first post on HoFo's first prerelease thread. I was convinced it was the phone for me, but then the nagging doubts began. To me Droid is the best out there in terms of speed and processing power, but the UI is not very attractive. Maybe not fugly but close. The fact that Motorola released the Droid with the camera issues it has and not having BT voice dialing working kind of makes me wonder if the Droid really isn't ready for prime time. I'm not sure after all this hype and anticipation that I want to deal with workarounds until these issues are fixed.

The ERIS' UI is beautiful. It looks like HTC will be upgrading to 2.0 in time. However, I don't know if I can live with the slower processor. Compared to the Droid, there isn't much information or many reviews on the Eris yet.

The Passion seems like it might offer the best of both worlds, but if it really exists, HTC has managed to keep a tight lid on it.

There have been hints to wait for a couple of weeks after the Droid is released and see what happens. I'm not sure what this means--perhaps the Samsung Android?

All comments would be welcome.

Ps. I just came across Droidforums.net, and this is going to be my first stop for Droid news. It is laid out better than other forums on the subject.

denlem

Reaction score
I've been following this as well. I see the HTC video posted in another thread here and love that interface. But, I love Motorola phones because I live in an area that barely gets a signal, and Moto tends to pick up a signal better out here in the woods.

There are things about the droid like the keyboard and camera that make me second guess it, but i'm going to take the plunge.

Once thing I think I will do is get it on a 1 year plan. Phone sequals tend to come out in about a year, so this way when the refined DROID 2 comes out, i'm not locked into a 2 year contract and will be able to upgrade.

Hockey4jack

Reaction score
Wait for the Passion. That thing has a Snapdragon processor, nothing can beat that. And with HTC SENSE UI...

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site! I would go down to the Verizon store and spend some time playing with each phone. I'm normally the type of person that does a lot of research on any product I buy regardless of price. I just like to be 100% positive when I lay out the cash for something. If you have some doubts, wait a while, read the reviews and first impressions from other members. Maybe this forum will hold you over until the passion gets released :)

Hockey4jack

Reaction score
Welcome to the site! I would go down to the Verizon store and spend some time playing with each phone. I'm normally the type of person that does a lot of research on any product I buy regardless of price. I just like to be 100% positive when I lay out the cash for something. If you have some doubts, wait a while, read the reviews and first impressions from other members. Maybe this forum will hold you over until the passion gets released :)

Thanks, and I agree. Probably going to wait until Christmas until I make my decision on a Droid phone, anything could happen over the next two months. If anyone is torn between what Droid phone to get, they will all most likely be released before the holiday season starts.

goathog02

Reaction score
I think H4J has the right idea. I made the stupid decision to buy the Storm first day it was out. Had I waited even a week, I never would have made that decision.
2-3 weeks will surely give enough time to 1. tell id the Droid is worth all the hype. and 2. If there is something better in the pipeline.
For me, I'll probably but the Eris. I like the looks, the Sense UI, and it will hold me over till next year when the real horsepower comes out.

BTW - From what I have read, while the Snapdragon is fast, battery life will be a big issue.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
You have 30 days to return the Droid if you don't like it. That was the same situation for the Storm. One month should be plenty of time to figure out if the phone is for you or not.

goathog02

Reaction score
You have 30 days to return the Droid if you don't like it. That was the same situation for the Storm. One month should be plenty of time to figure out if the phone is for you or not.

Well, as the saying goes, "Monkeys Learn".
Problem was, I really believed the hype. Everyone said it would get better. It has been a year, and I am tired of waiting.

As the infamous George Bush says: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me ...can't get fooled again"

kekchi

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, liking the droid and eris, wanting the passion to combine the best of both.

My plan is to wait 2 more weeks, and rethink the situation. During the next two weeks, we should have more rumors of what will be offered during the holiday season, if the passion is to come out.

From verizon's pov, it would make the best business sense NOT to have the passion come out within the next 30 days, so they aren't stuck with a lot of returned droids. Of course, if the droid were to sell out fast, they'll be rushing out whatever they've got next.

BTW, it was really hard to leave the verizon store empty-handed. I love the new droids.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score

Well, as the saying goes, "Monkeys Learn".
Problem was, I really believed the hype. Everyone said it would get better. It has been a year, and I am tired of waiting.

As the infamous George Bush says: "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me ...can't get fooled again"

I don't blame you for wanting to wait it out. Who would have thought that it would take RIM a whole year to get that mess straightened out. At the time that the Storm came out, I was dead set against not having an actual keyboard. That turned out be be a blessing I guess. If RIM really wanted to wash the bad taste out of the first Storm users mouths, they should have some some major hardware upgrades to go along with the new OS for the Storm2.

OfTheDamned

Reaction score
I'm waiting more because I am forced to (upgrade date not here yet). I think it is actually a blessing in disguise though. I really like both devices and I would love to see them both merged into a single device. I love the Sense UI on the Eris and I really like the size of the device. Although I also love the screen on the Droid, Android 2.0, Google Nav and the bigger processor as well. I know 2.0 and Google Nav will come to the Eris in time too. The faster processor and bigger screen I can't do anything about. The way I see it though, no matter what I get it will be a pretty big upgrade from my 8330 Curve so I can't really go wrong. I just don't want to get a device I will hate or be kicking myself over in a few months.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting more because I am forced to (upgrade date not here yet). I think it is actually a blessing in disguise though. I really like both devices and I would love to see them both merged into a single device. I love the Sense UI on the Eris and I really like the size of the device. Although I also love the screen on the Droid, Android 2.0, Google Nav and the bigger processor as well. I know 2.0 and Google Nav will come to the Eris in time too. The faster processor and bigger screen I can't do anything about. The way I see it though, no matter what I get it will be a pretty big upgrade from my 8330 Curve so I can't really go wrong. I just don't want to get a device I will hate or be kicking myself over in a few months.

I'm coming from the Curve 8330 as well. We should both really enjoy not having to wait for apps to open and the browser to take 10 minutes to load. Bye bye Blackberry!

Hockey4jack

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat, liking the droid and eris, wanting the passion to combine the best of both.

My plan is to wait 2 more weeks, and rethink the situation. During the next two weeks, we should have more rumors of what will be offered during the holiday season, if the passion is to come out.

From verizon's pov, it would make the best business sense NOT to have the passion come out within the next 30 days, so they aren't stuck with a lot of returned droids. Of course, if the droid were to sell out fast, they'll be rushing out whatever they've got next.

BTW, it was really hard to leave the verizon store empty-handed. I love the new droids.

Good theory, waiting for 2 or 3 weeks and see what happens. If the Passion does come to Verizon, my guess is we will see rumors/updates in the next couple of weeks. It could be that Verizon and HTC are waiting for Sense UI and 2.0 to come out with their update, then they will ship the Passion with 2.0.

naman919

Reaction score
I'm really interested in the Passion as well, but just got done playing with the Droid. I forgot how frustrating the lack of a physical keyboard can be and found myself attracted to it. After the Storm debacle I'm in love with my Tour.

I like the feel of the keyboard on the Droid. The buttons are hard to distinguish, like everyone says, from a touch-type perspective, but i feel like that's something you'll get used too.

Hmm.....I can multi-fru my Tour for the Droid, but don't want to risk looking silly going back to the Tour.