Droid not staying online while connected to Wifi

HaCutLf

Reaction score
Has anyone ever ran into an issue with their phone not staying online while connected Wifi router? Distance doesn't seem to make a difference. As soon as I log onto the network, it works for a few seconds then stops connecting to the internet. Just for the record, the search function didn't yield any results.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

vonfink13

Reaction score
My first router did the same thing as long as the security on the router was on. Once I turned off the security /password it stayed connected just fine... i was not comfortable with that so I took that one back and got a Cisco N router.. and all was fine... i have since upgraded to fios and my droid 1 hooked up to that no problem...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
My first router did the same thing as long as the security on the router was on. Once I turned off the security /password it stayed connected just fine... i was not comfortable with that so I took that one back and got a Cisco N router.. and all was fine... i have since upgraded to fios and my droid 1 hooked up to that no problem...

Mine does this all the time too, but you know what doesn't? My iPad. I've seen it lose connection when I've been away a while but never when I'm using it. Can't say the same for my Droid 2. Or my D1 for that better. I do believe the D2 does better then the D1 did.

But I do use security. I've also thought about using my neighbors wifi but it doesn't come in all the time.:D

OP
HaCutLf

HaCutLf

Reaction score
Argh, I'm not really wanting to upgrade my Android phone until the next big hardware upgrade/4g, etc. I do have another WiFi modem that is at my gf's house, I guess I'll just have to make sure she steals it back when she moves in.

Just strange how it logs in nice and quick but absolutely won't connect to the net after 2 or so minutes. I wonder if they ever officially addressed it.

Anyone else have any fixes for this?

hunterjones35

Reaction score
My Droid X is having the same issue ever since I installed my new wireless Netgear router. It is a Netgear WNDR3700 N600 dual Band Giabit. My phone is a totally stock Droid X. I will see if disabling the router WEP encryption helps. If anyone has any info on this issue please assist.

vonfink13

Reaction score
my first router was a netgear and it gave me nothing but trouble. i took it back and got a cisco linksys n router and the problems disappeared.

hunterjones35

Reaction score
I just got this off of the Netgear forums and even though it is for Blackberry it may help those of us with Netgear routers. Here is the post:

I am unable to connect my Blackberry 8820 to my wireless router
Symptom:
Blackberry 8820 won't connect to a wireless 802.11n router.

Cause:
If your router has a beacon length over 340 bytes (e.g. WNDR3700, WNDR3400), you may experience a problem connecting your Blackberry 8820 (maybe some other models too) to your wireless network. This is a limitation on the Blackberry device, not the router.

Resolution:
Please choose 1 of 2 work-arounds provided below.
1. If you are using a mix-mode security (WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK), switch router's wireless security
mode to WPA2-PSK(AES) only.
a. Login to your NETGEAR router (see How do I login to my router?).
b. Go to Wireless settings menu.
c. Change Security option to WPA2-PSK(AES).
d. Click 'Apply' button.

2. Disable WMM (WiFi Multimedia) in your router.
a. Login to your NETGEAR router.
b. Go to QoS setup menu.
c. Uncheck 'Enable WMM' option to disable.
d. Click 'Apply' button.
e. Connect your Blackberry to the wireless router.
f. Go to QoS setup menu.
g. Check 'Enable WMM' option to enable WMM feature.
h. Click 'Apply'button.

Note: Once you have connected your Blackberry device to the wireless router, you can enable WMM or switch back to mix-mode security.

choglidite

Reaction score
Linksys Dual Band Wifi

Great job Hunter! :icon_ banana: I spent three hours on the phone with a 2nd level tech from Motorola. My Droid X would not stay connected to my Linksys WRT400N. (Dual Band) They finally decided the phone was bad and had me return it to Verizon. New phone - same issue. Interestingly, my wife's Droid X works fine. I tried your solution to set the security to WPA2-PSK(AES) and now my phone works. Thank You!!!!! :lifting:

halkilmer

Reaction score
Disabling 'WMM' (Wi-Fi Multimedia) under the QOS Setup on my Netgear N600 WNDR3400 solved everything for me! Thanks a lot!

bscans

Reaction score
This was driving me crazy! Went from DroidX to Droid Razr Maxx and it just refused to stay connected. Disabled WMM on my Network WNDR3400 and still connected after 30 minutes. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Update. That worked for a few days (for the Maxx; however my Xoom began experiencing the same issue with WMM disabled), now it's back again. Going to try WPA versus WPA2 with AES.

Last edited: