Droid lag problems

stevo95

Reaction score
I love my Droid but I am close to the point of returning/exchanging it. The lag is extremely bad especially with Exchange email (I use Touchdown). I dont believe I have gone more than 4 days without a freeze requiring a reboot (normally 2-3 days is the average). Can anyone suggest how I can improve the lag? It didnt used to be so bad. These are the apps/widgets I have installed (deleted Adv Task Killer on advice from this forum), any help would be appreciated as I am getting very frustrated!

Home ++
Beautiful Widgets
Touchdown
AK notepad
Barcode scanner
Shop Savvy
Calorie counter
Better Cut
MotoTorch LED
Wheres my droid
Weather bug
Wave Secure
Flight stats lite
Battery life
Documents to go – I have the free version,
Keyring
Glympse
Google voice
Shazam
Tripit
Where
Stocks
Movies
Speed test

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I removed Home++ a while ago, as it was causing lag on my device. Out of your list of apps that is really the only one that jumps out at me that may be causing it.

You will lose your set up, but you can uninstall Home++ and see if it increases performance.

If not, you my want to try a factory reset, as VZW will have you do this before they offer you an exchange anyway.

OP
S

stevo95

Reaction score
I removed Home++ a while ago, as it was causing lag on my device. Out of your list of apps that is really the only one that jumps out at me that may be causing it.

You will lose your set up, but you can uninstall Home++ and see if it increases performance.

If not, you my want to try a factory reset, as VZW will have you do this before they offer you an exchange anyway.

Was a bit slow with Home++, but since I installed BetterCut and Beautiful widgets, it seems to have slowed down further.

DOnt know if anyone has any other suggestions before I uninstall home++ &/or factory reset? Am really loathe to uninstall home++, it's taken me 3 months to get the look of the Droid just right!

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've found the latest version of Home++ pretty stable. Another good alternative is SweeterHome.. it's actually almost too much though. Only reason I'm not using it was because there were too many themes and the theme designer needed some work. But it's VERY functional and powerful.

mfoshee

Reaction score
advanced task killer is a must! keeps your phone from lagging and kills all the apps you dont need running... also lots of widgets slow it down especially with more than the standard 3 homescreens.. i had panda home but got rid of it when it froze my phone

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
advanced task killer is a must! keeps your phone from lagging and kills all the apps you dont need running... also lots of widgets slow it down especially with more than the standard 3 homescreens.. i had panda home but got rid of it when it froze my phone

ATK has been shown to cause problems on peoples phones as well. And you really don't need a task killer app, you have the capability to do that on your phone without using a task killer. Settings/Applictions/Manage Applications/menu/filter and select running. You can kill any task running this way.

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used to be EXTREMELY annoyed with the lag on my Droid.....especially in the browser....but I finally got rid of it by overclocking...and I will probably never go back to the standard clock speed unless I see some problems out of it....it is extremely smooth now on just about everything...oh yeah, and another thing that got rid of browser lag, was switching my stock browser out for the Milestone's browser, and this was before I overclocked it, this browser is actually 10 times smoother than the stock on the Droid...and plus it has multi-touch, and the double-tap if you don't like multi-touch....mix this with about 1GHz CPU speed, and its pretty damn close to being as smooth as the iPhone browser

OP
S

stevo95

Reaction score
I used to be EXTREMELY annoyed with the lag on my Droid.....especially in the browser....but I finally got rid of it by overclocking...and I will probably never go back to the standard clock speed unless I see some problems out of it....it is extremely smooth now on just about everything...oh yeah, and another thing that got rid of browser lag, was switching my stock browser out for the Milestone's browser, and this was before I overclocked it, this browser is actually 10 times smoother than the stock on the Droid...and plus it has multi-touch, and the double-tap if you don't like multi-touch....mix this with about 1GHz CPU speed, and its pretty damn close to being as smooth as the iPhone browser

Dont really want to root my phone as it is a company phone and I would hate to explain that I had bricked something that doesnt technically belong to me :)

I assume there is no way to overclock without rooting (as far as I have read, that seems to be the case).

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Dont really want to root my phone as it is a company phone and I would hate to explain that I had bricked something that doesnt technically belong to me :)

I assume there is no way to overclock without rooting (as far as I have read, that seems to be the case).
"Bricked" is a term that is mis-used. A 'brick' is useless, a paperweight, no hope left. It's incredibly hard to actually 'brick' your Droid.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Every lag problem I had turned out to be either home replacement programs (all of them seemed to cause lags on my Droid with Home++ being the worse; and I hated getting rid of it) or programs that did not "play well" together. Swype did not work well with several of my other programs.

rjm5151

Reaction score
I had the same issue with a few of the home apps panda home and home++. It caused a crazy lag nothing that was at all worth what i was getting out of them. The stock home really isnt that bad with 3 screens and customizable wallpaper shouldn't be too big a sacrifice for anyone that doesnt wanna deal with the annoying lags.