Droid ---- how to root (((2.0)))

Getaphixx

Reaction score
Should be reserved for HOW TO ((((Rooting)))) the droid...

I know everyone is too anxious to recieve and reciprocate!

Let us watch with bright eyes and bushy tails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

OP
Getaphixx

Getaphixx

Reaction score
[video=youtube;C2jDOkzrVew]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2jDOkzrVew&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - Economist "Did you know?"[/video]

WATCH CAREFULLY!!!!!!!!!!

NO DOUBT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MotoDroid

Reaction score
Can't wait until morning!! Need.....Droid....please! Anyway, I'm new to the android OS scene but technology is what I do for a living so I'm sure I'll catch up on it. Rooting??? Does that mean getting admin access at the command prompt of the OS? Sorry but I'm a newb at it.

Trip

Reaction score
Yeah MotoDroid, Rooting basically (as I understand it, haven't done it yet, and probably won't) gives you super user privelages so you can turn things on and off and modify things you wouldn't usually have access to.

MotoDroid

Reaction score
Thanks, Trip! I take it that other Android devices can be and have been rooted then. What are some advantages to this? Is it comparable to "jailbreaking" on a crapple iPhone?

TarzanMan

Reaction score
The primary purpose for rooting a phone is to have access to features that are supposed to be blocked or obfuscated (like tethering).

The reason most people root on Android is so they can run custom programs like themes or OS updates that haven't been officially released.... or even operating systems for other android devices.

It is similar to jailbreaking, except that jailbreaking is usually done specifically to break the SIM carrier lock, or to pilfer paid apps from the app store. Getting root on Android won't do either of those things for you.

MotoDroid

Reaction score
That's cool. I don't condone ripping off apps from developers, but I do like to experiment and customize etc. Sounds like this will be fun. Is there any chance that we won't be able to root the Droid? I'll stay tuned.

Stigy

Reaction score
Rooting gives you access as the "root" user like you would on any linux system.

It allows for extremely customizeable ROM's and other options. My G1 is currently rooted and I am running a totally custom ROM with my apps stored on my SD card and other kernel enhancements that wouldn't be possible without the phone being rooted.

phamous

Reaction score
To obtain "root" or "super user" permissions on any linux based system (android) you're giving yourself the equivalent access of administrator access on a Windows computer. By having root/superuser(SU) access, you can then have access to and modify whatever files you want in the android system stack.

This opens the doors to a limitless amount of possibilities that would otherwise be locked in your stock Droid build.

Extreme levels of customization can be added.

---
On another note, you guys should really try to stay on point when on this forum. So far, this is turning out to be quite the zoo. No offense to anyone! Just saying, if we're going to make development on this phone as fast and as efficient as possible, you're going to want these "root" threads for "rooting" while you can use whatever general threads to discuss android/droid

just my two cents!

administrators/moderators -- goodluck!