Droid Has A Mind Of It's Own

ikho52

Reaction score
Is there anyway for anyone to "hack" my droid? My droid just recently started doing it's own thing. It went into my contacts, picked a contact and than went to texting, but it didn't type anything. Than it went into my advanced application manager and I would be able to interfere with it, but if he/she/it was doing something I couldn't stop it by touching the phone. The only thing that seemed to stop it was locking the phone. I unlocked the phone and than finally was able to get into my settings but than the phone factory reset itself (which was what I was trying to do originally). Now my droid is back to normal and nothing seems strange so far. So if anyone knows what happened please reply.

OP
I

ikho52

Reaction score
I'm sorry I'm not very tech-savy. I don't know what rooted or stock means.

cpinto

Reaction score
Is there anyway for anyone to "hack" my droid? My droid just recently started doing it's own thing. It went into my contacts, picked a contact and than went to texting, but it didn't type anything. Than it went into my advanced application manager and I would be able to interfere with it, but if he/she/it was doing something I couldn't stop it by touching the phone. The only thing that seemed to stop it was locking the phone. I unlocked the phone and than finally was able to get into my settings but than the phone factory reset itself (which was what I was trying to do originally). Now my droid is back to normal and nothing seems strange so far. So if anyone knows what happened please reply.

I don't think I would sleep in the same room with your Droid tonight. You never know.

Guchi

Reaction score
if you list ALL your apps here i bet someone can help... at least it will be a start

Edit: do you happen to be using an anti virus or task killer?

Sweettooth

Reaction score
Wow, first time for everything I suppose. So far I haven't heard of anyone having the ability to remotely control a phone's UI, however as these phones become more and more like regular computers, they also become more susceptible to viruses and scriptkiddies.

While the Android Market is coming along nicely, it still has a lot of unregulated garbage, and if one were to go on a downloading spree, they may find themselves with an apparently useless application that actually stealth installs some kind of malicious code. It's funny that Guchi mentions an anti-virus program. I downloaded and installed the popular anti-virus app from the market like a week ago but something told me at this stage in development, phone viruses, like console viruses aren't much to worry about so I uninstalled it. The only issue is that when they become a problem, how will one be able to reinstall the OS, unlike on a computer? Maybe they will add bricking due to malicious code to the warranty?

Try playing around with the phone some more and see if it doesn't do anything else that's odd. If it does, I'd see about getting a replacement and/or having the phone completely wiped to factory. If everything seems normal all I'd suggest is pay really close attention to what you download and where you browse to. Stick to trusted sites on the phone, save the majority of exploration for the home computer. As for the market, pay attention to the number of downloads an app/game has and read all of the comments. Even if something looks cool, wait til some other people have downloaded it before trying it yourself. Anyone who has the power to create, also possesses the power to destroy.