Droid Hardware, Is anyone experiencing a slightly wobbly/ loose slider?

Dandar

Reaction score
I just picked up my Droid a little less than a week ago. The phone has really lived up to most of my hopes and expectations. I've been dying to get an I-phone but refused to sacrifice service. Don't get me wrong, the I-phone really is a great product, but the Droid is the closest thing to an Iphone without actually having one.

I just noticed the other day that the top part of the phone has a slight gap between the 2 sliding pieces. If you press firmly on one corner it will tap up against the bottom piece. It doesn't really affect the functionality of the phone and its really a very slight gap, but I'm kind of neurotic and its been driving me nuts.

I wanted to get some opinions from other Droid owners. If you push "firmly" on the bottom right corner (holding the phone landscape) does it hit up against the phone? Or are the 2 sliding pieces resting firmly against each other?

(Holding opposite corners of the phone alternating pressure is there any tapping what so ever?)

Some comments would be greatly appreciated! :icon_ banana:

raven1911

Reaction score
Mine rocks very, very slightly but it doesn't cause any problems. I can feel it but not really see it rock. I am pretty particular about these things to and it does not bother me at all. Remember the phone is two pieces. I feel it more when the slider is open, but again cannot see it, only feel it very slightly.

You have a month to return the phone, maybe exchange it for a new one and see if it improves.

OP
D

Dandar

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.

Yea I guess I'm just being my neurotic self. I do find comfort in that other people are experiencing the same thing. Just want to figure out if I should exchange it or not

suzukimethod

Reaction score
I'm on my third droid (first one restarted, had a hardware error), second one the camera would not start up at all and crashed the phone (even after a couple full factory resets).

The third one feels solid so far - except i have the little wobble/rocker action on touchscreen press you are describing. so yes - there are others of us out there :)

But t this point - as long as the software works and is stable (seems to be so far - fingers crossed) - it's going to take more than the wobble to get me to swap it....

as an added bonus - the gel/plastic cover i am using stops the wobble, and there is plenty of room to put it on and off w/o getting stuck when sliding...

Nedaroth

Reaction score
I just picked up my Droid a little less than a week ago. The phone has really lived up to most of my hopes and expectations. I've been dying to get an I-phone but refused to sacrifice service. Don't get me wrong, the I-phone really is a great product, but the Droid is the closest thing to an Iphone without actually having one.

I just noticed the other day that the top part of the phone has a slight gap between the 2 sliding pieces. If you press firmly on one corner it will tap up against the bottom piece. It doesn't really affect the functionality of the phone and its really a very slight gap, but I'm kind of neurotic and its been driving me nuts.

I wanted to get some opinions from other Droid owners. If you push "firmly" on the bottom right corner (holding the phone landscape) does it hit up against the phone? Or are the 2 sliding pieces resting firmly against each other?

(Holding opposite corners of the phone alternating pressure is there any tapping what so ever?)

Some comments would be greatly appreciated! :icon_ banana:

You got to be kidding, I can do 10x more with my Droid then i could ever do with my iphone.:motdroidhoriz:

darreno1

Reaction score
Rock solid, absolutely no wobble I can detect with the keyboard opened or closed. I don't know, if I were you I'd check out another Droid. The one at the Verizon store was solid as well as best as I could remember.

Veedo

Reaction score
You are not crazy! I was going nuts today pressing down on the bottom right corner. There is a very small gap, enough to notice it when pressing the return key. I also noticed some scratches on the back of slide out part of the screen from the latches. This really drives me nuts. I have read that some people left on the clear sheet of plastic. I thought it was meant to come off?

OP
D

Dandar

Reaction score
Oh don't get me wrong, the functionality is definately on par if not more to an Iphone; however, in terms of specifically hardware, the Iphone is just a super smooth/solid and just is a quality product.

The Moto Droid is also great, but the hardware I'm finding out is not as well made/designed. I've had 3 different Droids so far, and all of them have been slightly different (restarting issue, poor reception, call quality issue, loose slider) and just seems that its not as high quality that you would expect from a 600 dollar electronic.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied, but damnit, it should be good every time.

ezeddiekun

Reaction score
Hehe I'm having that problem except I have to actually try to push it for it to wobble. Im still doing a exchange, it'll get worse eventually!!

Reaction score
I have a Droid as does my wife. Mine has the small gap as you describe, but is not really effecting any functionality. My wife's also has the gap, but on hers when you type and have the vibration feedback running, its kind of annoying. It almost seems like the two pieces hit each other when it vibrates leaving a clanking sound. Its much worse than mine and might be traded in for another one.

OP
D

Dandar

Reaction score
Oh just an update, so I picked up that silicon droid case from Verizon. It makes the phone slightly bulkier, but it fits really nice. The best thing about it is that it takes away the gap between the 2 sliding pieces!!! It makes the phone totally solid which in itself is already worth the 16 bucks.

Highly recommend the silicon case for all my Droid OCD sibilings out there

The case provides a lot of grip to the phone and fits very snugly across both top and bottom pieces. The first one I got was a little loose and I returned it for another one which fit a lot better. If you go pick one of these up be sure it test it out first before leaving the store!

Enter your location

helloledbetter

Reaction score
For those that did an exchange due to the screen wobble:

did you do it over the phone or go to the store?
how much hassle/resistance did they put up over it?

Thanks!

ezeddiekun

Reaction score
I agree with Dandar, the silicone case is really well worth it and makes the slider a bit tighter.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums