Droid does GPS tethering for Google Earth on PC "Guide"

exabits

Reaction score
In this guide you will learn how to use your android phone as a standalone gps for google earth on pc.

Note: Your phone and computer must have bluetooth.

1. Download and install google earth on your pc.
2. Download GooPsPro2_5_3Beta.exe -Thanks developer Dave for compatiblity code change
3. Download and install BlueNMEA from Android Market

Setup:

1. Pair your phone with pc through bluetooth
2. Create a com port for bluetooth on your pc. Goto your bluetooth settings. Select the middle tab "COM Ports". Click Add... then ok. After this you should have a com port listed.
3. Start the Goops program you downloaded earlier. Goto options and select the com port you created in the previous step. Uncheck Autoconnect, Autoscan and Compress.
4. Now press Connect, GE should open and Goops will say opening COM"#": #- the number you selected
5. On your phone open BlueMNEA, press connect, your bluetooth pc should be listed, select it. If all went well it will establish a connection and you will then have gps on your pc. If it doesnt connect, often trying again will fix it. If not, something else is wrong.

Edit: This is for Real-time GPS tracking and Navigation. Best used with a Carputer.

Last edited:

SGTiger

Reaction score
Wonder if its possible for other PC navigation software besides Google Earth to see the Droid as a GPS unit?

OP
E

exabits

Reaction score
It is definitely possible. Whether the software will have to be tweaked to properly communitcate with BlueMNEA is the real question. For this to work properly I had to work with the developer of Goops. He had to tweak Goops to properly read the output of BlueMNEA. Before the code change, Earth would locate me to Algeria, Africa ><. In short there was a hemisphere communication problem between Goops and BlueMNEA. A quick code change from him landed me in China "Beta1". Another quick change later and he landed me at my doorstep "Beta2". At this time it was flawless but he found another spot in the code to change and which seemed to make it more accurate. Hence the Beta3 that I have linked here.

KKB

Reaction score
I'm showing up in Africa too

@exabits
DO you still have problems with showing up in Africa. I've tried the steps several times. The BT connects great, G Earth works great accept for me being in the ocean just off the west coast of Africa. Help? This could be a great feature.

OP
E

exabits

Reaction score
@exabits
DO you still have problems with showing up in Africa. I've tried the steps several times. The BT connects great, G Earth works great accept for me being in the ocean just off the west coast of Africa. Help? This could be a great feature.

No, all problems of the Africa location were fixed by the developer of Goops. I'm guessing you are trying to use Goops that you downloaded from his site. You must use the beta3 Goops version he released to me, in the first post.

KKB

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply!

I may be missing something. This is the one I downloaded. From Post 1

"
1. Download and install google earth on your pc.
2. Download GooPsPro2_5_3Beta.exe -Thanks developer Dave for compatiblity code change
3. Download and install BlueNMEA from Android Market

Setup:

"

OP
E

exabits

Reaction score
Hmm, well if the beta3 that I linked in the first post isn't working for you then I suggest emailing the developer. He was very quick to respond to me and more then willing to adjust his code for my needs. Out of curiosity, where in the world are you located? I assume it's not in the USA. You may try downloading goops from GooPs End User License Agreement. See where the standard 2.5 will locate you

KKB

Reaction score
I'll try the developer

I'm in Northern Colorado. Your first post was a result of a google search for bluetooth+gps+tether. Those instructions were the only ones I tried. I actually had never heard of GooPs.
Thanks for the lead.

monkeydog

Reaction score
I followed the directions to a T and cannot get this to work on windows xp. I downloaded everything and made the com port and set everything up exactly as said. When I try to connect with bluenmea it doesn't find anything.

OP
E

exabits

Reaction score
I followed the directions to a T and cannot get this to work on windows xp. I downloaded everything and made the com port and set everything up exactly as said. When I try to connect with bluenmea it doesn't find anything.

It sounds like you need to set your computers bluetooth to discoverable.

Edit: I just want to mention my "guide" isn't perfect. There is a detail or 2 missing, such as enabling bluetooth discovery. It's not the easiest gps system to setup but it does work very well once done.

Last edited:
OP
E

exabits

Reaction score
I'm in Northern Colorado. Your first post was a result of a google search for bluetooth+gps+tether. Those instructions were the only ones I tried. I actually had never heard of GooPs.
Thanks for the lead.

Is this where it is locating you when you think your connected?

Edit: I recently had a conflict with new A2DP bluetooth drivers on my pc. BlueNMEA would connect but Goops/GE weren't getting the gps cordinates from it. Is this like what you are experiencing KKB?

If BlueNMEA connects properly...you will see something like this.

http://imageshack.us

Last edited:

monkeydog

Reaction score

It sounds like you need to set your computers bluetooth to discoverable.

Edit: I just want to mention my "guide" isn't perfect. There is a detail or 2 missing, such as enabling bluetooth discovery. It's not the easiest gps system to setup but it does work very well once done.

Thanks that worked. Now to just figure out how to keep it from zooming way in on my location.

OP
E

exabits

Reaction score
That is good to hear. I'm not sure but I think only the unlocked/paid version of goops will allow turning auto zoom off.