Droid browsing issues.

oatmealboy

Reaction score
First off, the relevant info:

-Android 2.1 ESE81, stock, updated manually on 4/2/10.
-Helix Launcher using 7 home screens.

Home area: Santa Clara County, California.

I've had my Droid since mid-February. My experience using 3G for web browsing, google maps, and the like have been really positive. There are very few areas in which there was only 1x-RTT service, and that was mostly concentrated in San Francisco.

Yesterday, having spent most of my time in San Francisco, and along the Penninsula (San Mateo County), I was unable to browse for any websites. I had tried soft-resetting the phone, took the battery out for 30 seconds, and even cleared all data and cache. I had no problems using Google Maps and Navigation, browsing the Android Market, and using Seesmic.

When I start up the stock browser, the Google homepage loads normally, as well as Google News. But any other page either loaded extremely slowly or would load up to about 50% and just sit there. I even used the Speedtest app to check my 3G throughput, and it ranged anywhere from 130-1800kbps down and 250-700kbps up.

It wasn't until I got back into my home area that the browser started loading webpages properly again.

I never had this problem in these areas until yesterday, though the last time I was in these areas was when I was still using Android 2.0.1.

Could it be a specific issue with my phone, or was VZW service in SF and San Mateo County having a bad day?

EDIT: I should probably add that sometimes, it would not even load Google or Google News correctly. And I had the same problems whether I used the stock browser or Dolphin Browser.

Last edited:

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Weird, I'm on the peninsula but no issues. Maybe the rain was the cause? R u still having trouble?

OP
O

oatmealboy

Reaction score
I have not been back up the Penninsula, so I couldn't tell you. My phone works fine, currently. I'll have to venture back up soon to try it out again. I get the feeling it was just a fluke.

droidgirl1

Reaction score
Oatmealboy? I'm sorry I just have to ask. Whats the story behind your username? I'm sure that there is a good story to this one and I just had to ask.

:)