Droid Bionic or Droid X

Zeaq

Reaction score
Im about to get a new Droid smartphone and im just not sure. Should i wait to get the Droid bionic in a few months or get the droid X. This will be a major upgrade for me considering i have a Samsung Trance. I won't be getting the money in to purchase any of these tell about the end of the month though. So what would you guys recommend?

GDP

Reaction score
It would be worth the wait for the Bionic.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

K20turbo

Reaction score
Yup I would wait out for the bionic. It has 4g, better screen the qhd display, dual core processor, and seems it has no motoblur interface. Plus im sure there will be other upgrades like better camera quality, build quality, etc...
Too bad I used my upgrade on the d2g

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Here's a question for you: Can you live with the fact that you bought a "last generation" phone and be happy with it?

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a release date for the Bionic, along with the other 4g devices, just an estimate time. I heard that Q1 would be the release time of the new 4g devices, that's it (i didn't pay much attention to CES this year).

If I were in your shoes I would personally wait it out. At least give yourself the option to check out the Bionic in person before making a purchase. Once you buy the X, you're pretty much stuck with it unless you buy it within 30 days before the release of the Bionic. I wouldn't want buyer's remorse, but if the Bionic requires a 4g plan, then I personally wouldn't find it necessary.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the way they are going through phones now, the Bionic will be outdated two weeks after it's released.

Nobody is going to have a new generation phone. Something new is always coming out.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
the way they are going through phones now, the Bionic will be outdated two weeks after it's released.

Nobody is going to have a new generation phone. Something new is always coming out.

Couldn't agree more with this.

However, the difference between the Droid X and Bionic, to me at least, seems like a generation gap. I haven't seen live footage of either, but the stats alone give me this impression. Which is why I say "last generation". There is always something better around the corner, but the difference between the X and Bionic is significant, imo.

OP
Z

Zeaq

Reaction score
Yes but will 4g cost more? Also can i get the phone brand new for a first smartphone upgrade?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Yes but will 4g cost more? Also can i get the phone brand new for a first smartphone upgrade?

I haven't heard anything about 4g pricing for Verizon. Some say it'll cost more (which makes the most sense to me) and some say it'll be the same rates as a 3g plan.

Verizon can't stop you from getting whatever phone you want as a first phone. I came from years with AT&T and the first phone I got on the Big Red was the Droid. They had no problems and were happy to sell me the phone.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Couldn't agree more with this.

However, the difference between the Droid X and Bionic, to me at least, seems like a generation gap. I haven't seen live footage of either, but the stats alone give me this impression. Which is why I say "last generation". There is always something better around the corner, but the difference between the X and Bionic is significant, imo.

I don't know that much about the Bionic other then it's got the front view camera and it's got the dual 1ghz processor.

The question really is, how much difference in speed is the dual processor going to make? Because it's dual, doesn't mean twice as fast. That won't be the case at all.

Now the fact that it's 4G, that's a big deal. But it's going to take Verizon 2 more years to get their 4G network where there 3G is now. So how good will 4G coverage be for the next year?

If I'm wrong on the camera thing forgive me, between tablets and phones I might be getting mixed up.

Googleaddict

Reaction score
Want 4g LTE the best processor.1080p video vs 720p and a little higher res screen (854 X 480 Vs 960 X 540)? Wait a few months for the bionic. Want a processor thats still blazing fast? A still great screen and more then adequate 3g speeds? Get the X. Both 8mp cameras
Also, who knows how locked down the Bionic will be.. Some people have been saying it doesnt have motoblur, but it does. just a new version of it.

Your call, enjoy either one ;)

Last edited:

Detonation

Reaction score
I think we should make a subforum called "Should I buy a phone now or wait" and put all these topics in there. There's been at least 5 posts a day like these since the new phones have leaked...

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think we should make a subforum called "Should I buy a phone now or wait" and put all these topics in there. There's been at least 5 posts like these since the new phones have leaked...

Right now I have one in the X forum as well. But even if we were to create a subforum people will ask here as well.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
You'll have to learn to ignore those threads....

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Reaction score
I'd wait if I were you. The Bionic is twice the phone the X is. Release date looks like April at the earliest. Read the new Bionic thread that's up in here.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Googleaddict

Reaction score
I'd wait if I were you. The Bionic is twice the phone the X is. Release date looks like April at the earliest. Read the new Bionic thread that's up in here.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Care to elaborate? I dont see how the Bionic is 2x the phone the X is. The bionic would need a 12mp camera, 4.3 inch screen full HD 1.5-2ghz dual core tegra 2, and android honeycomb preloaded to be twice the phone the x is imo.