Droid apps and safety

Ajenda79

Reaction score
Hello,
I was curious if anyone knew of a way to monitor data transmission from the Motorola Droid phone? Basically, I wanted to ensure my data (phone numbers, gps, etc.) is not being transmitted to a 3rd party without my consent by using an app downloaded from the Market. I only download from Trusted sources, and have Anti-Virus, but wanted to check for additional precautions.

Thanks,

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
you'd probably have to set your phone up to only use wifi. then, use custom code on the wireless router or a separate proxy/monitor to analyze the traffic. of course, it might not be much help if the hacker is encrypting your private data.

personally, i think you are being paranoid. i would uninstall antivirus as there are no known android viruses. just pay attention to the privileges that the app asks for. if you don't want the app to have access to your sd card or contacts, don't allow it. the biggest worry is that dolphin or xscope are sending my passwords to some server in china or russia but i am trusting them for now.

OP
A

Ajenda79

Reaction score
Thanks, I suppose you are right that I may just be paranoid. I will just use caution with app downloads, like I have been.

xdreamer

Reaction score
That does seem rather shady now doesnt it:icon_eek:

Rindaen

Reaction score
In the 2 year's I have used an iPhone I purchased 1 App.
When I finally get the X I dont see purchasing many.

I dont download apps unless I can verify the Company that created it.
Been using Windows to long to not watch whats installed.

Im hoping one of the big game makers makes games for Android.

I think im more surprised that there is actually an Anti-Virus program for Android :(

bje1982

Reaction score
So does this company Lookout make a mobile app? Sounds like a scare tatctic to get you to buy a security app lol

Edit: and does anyone remember the sms hackers for the iphone? remember they were hacking into peoples iphones and sending texts from it? hmmmmmm im not worried if someone wants to read the texts I send my wife your pathetic. I would never store sensitive info on my phone.

droidman101

Reaction score
So does this company Lookout make a mobile app? Sounds like a scare tatctic to get you to buy a security app lol

Edit: and does anyone remember the sms hackers for the iphone? remember they were hacking into peoples iphones and sending texts from it? hmmmmmm im not worried if someone wants to read the texts I send my wife your pathetic. I would never store sensitive info on my phone.

yah, they make a mobile app, i only use it for someone stealing my phone because it has a siren :). and yes, NEVER, i repeat, NEVER store extremely confidential stuff on your phone, its a recipe for disaster.

Droidfish

Reaction score
In the 2 year's I have used an iPhone I purchased 1 App.
When I finally get the X I dont see purchasing many.

I dont download apps unless I can verify the Company that created it.
Been using Windows to long to not watch whats installed.

Im hoping one of the big game makers makes games for Android.

I think im more surprised that there is actually an Anti-Virus program for Android :(

There are a couple anti-virus programs for android and one of them is the company behind the security conference article that you linked to a couple of posts back. Lookout Mobiles references to security flaws are too convenient for me to believe. Linux(and android) is far more secure than windows because everything that has the ability to change your system(good or bad) requires permission to do so. So if that wallpaper was accessing all that vital information it is more the fault of the people that downloaded it and didn't check to see what permissions it needed access to. So just pay attention to what you download.

Owning an iphone or android phone(or a smartphone in general) and not taking advantage of applications is not even worth the purchase of a smartphone, IMO. The power of android lies in the applications that are being developed for it everyday, not in the devices as they come out of the box. The devices just make them capable of maximizing the potential of the apps.