Droid And T9 Predictive Text

phaze3131

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am wondering if the droid will have t9 capabilities (unlike the iphone).

Like where its just the 1-9 numbers and the bottom would be * 0 # and where it has t9 and the ability to store words in the t9 dictionary.

Thanks!

I really hope it has this or there is a really good app for this!

Droid

Reaction score
The droid keyboard will have all the features the mytouch and g1 have. I don't think the keyboard has received improvements in 2.0 so if it wasn't there before...

OP
P

phaze3131

Reaction score
The droid keyboard will have all the features the mytouch and g1 have. I don't think the keyboard has received improvements in 2.0 so if it wasn't there before...

No I am talking about t9 on a 12 button normal keypad, which would have to a digital version because the droid only has hardware for the QWERTY keyboard.

This video shows exactly what I mean at minute 3:46:
[video=youtube;G3qeDaFDbHE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3qeDaFDbHE]YouTube - LG enV Touch Cool Features[/video]

I'm just so fast using t9 I know some phones that do have the software for it, I hope the droid does also.
moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png

moz-screenshot.png
Untitled-4.jpg

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b302/phaze112/Untitled-4.jpg

J

JohnDroid

According to these specs, it does support T9....

Motorola Droid Specs

Technical Specifications

Network: CDMA 800 / 1900 Form Factor: Slide / Google Android OS v2.0 Dimensions: 116 x 60 x 14 mm Weight: 169 g Antenna: Internal / Dual Antenna Navigation: Touch Screen (Haptic Feedback) / QWERTY Keypad Battery Type: 1400 mAh Li-Ion Talk Time: 6.42 Standby Time: 270 Memory: 16.0 GB Expandable Memory: microSD / TransFlash Safety

Radiation (SAR):
unknown.gif
Imaging

Main Screen: 0 colors (TFT / Accelerometer / Proximity Sensor / Ambient Light Sensor)
480 x 854 px External Screen:
no.gif
Camera: 5.0 MP / 4X Zoom / Dual-LED Flash / Auto-Focus / Geotagging / Video Recorder Audio

MP3 Player: VCAST Music / Rhapsody FM Radio:
no.gif
Speakerphone: Dual-Microphone Noise Reduction / Group Call Push-To-Talk:
no.gif
Multimedia

Wallpapers: 480 x 854 px Screen Savers: 480 x 854 px Ring Tones: MP3 Themes:
yes.gif
Games: Android Market Streaming Multimedia: VCAST Video / YouTube Messaging

SMS:
yes.gif
EMS:
yes.gif
MMS:
yes.gif
Email: POP3 / IMAP4 / SMTP / Gmail Chat: AOL / ICQ / Google / Windows Live / Yahoo

Predictive Text: T9

OP
P

phaze3131

Reaction score
hm

apparently it does not have the vertical t9 predictive text in the phone as Leakdroid.com has said, they have a test unit.

"The Droid on-screen keyboard is the stock Android on-screen keyboard, so it only has the full-QWERTY mode unfortunately."

This really sucks I'm not sure how anyone is ok with this? You can use one hand using t9 just as fast as using 2 hands using the QWERTY style.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well i don't know about you but i can type about 200 times faster with a full qwerty vs t9. It's merely what people are used to doing.

J

JohnDroid

I agree, I suck at T9. Full keyboard is a requirement for me.

souljerr

Reaction score
I think I'd lose my mine if I had to go back to t9 for typing and input. I guess I could see the advantage of having it as an option but keyboard is the only way for me.

OP
P

phaze3131

Reaction score
t9 was out years before any qwerty keyboards were even on phones so I'd say people should be used to t9 way more than qwerty. qwerty you need 2 hands that is just flat annoying.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
yeah, but qwerty is alot easier for me to zoom through typing, even though i need two hands i can type a message about 100 times faster. t9 has been around forever, but then again so has morse code.

souljerr

Reaction score
t9 was out years before any qwerty keyboards were even on phones so I'd say people should be used to t9 way more than qwerty. qwerty you need 2 hands that is just flat annoying.

AM Radio was out a long time before Sirius/XM too but that doesn't mean technology can't advance. My dad still listens to the Giants play on KNBR 680 on the AM dial while I chose the MLB package on satellite radio. They both accomplish the same thing - personal choice is a good thing. I personally like the keyboard and prefer phones that have em. To each their own. :cool:

miniboss

Reaction score
I'm going to have to teach myself how to get efficient on that keyboard. T9 is always good to have just in case you need to message with one hand.

OP
P

phaze3131

Reaction score
AM Radio was out a long time before Sirius/XM too but that doesn't mean technology can't advance. My dad still listens to the Giants play on KNBR 680 on the AM dial while I chose the MLB package on satellite radio. They both accomplish the same thing - personal choice is a good thing. I personally like the keyboard and prefer phones that have em. To each their own. :cool:

Yea I agree... Just like windows Vista came out after Windows XP and that was soooo much better.

T9 is just easier when you need to use one hand and want to type just as fast with one hand as with 2, while not even looking either.

I mean sure Windows Vista... I mean a Qwerty keyboard where you need 2 hands to type... or a t9 touch pad where you can just fly through with one hand on the phone and one hand sipping a bottle a bottle of water... hmmm lets think what's better.

Many other phones have this capability. The droid should too, without a doubt. It's everybody who is too set in their ways to learn something more advanced and a little more complicated like T9 which is probably the reason they did not include it.

Learn something new, it might make your life a whole lot easier.

Last edited: