droid and streaming radio

kijutsu

Reaction score
For some odd reason, when streaming audio (low bitrates) the connection drops continuously. It seems localized to my droid, as I used to listen to the same station on a WinMo device without issues. I have tried several programs and all do the same thing. Any help you could offer is greatly appreciated.

AntiNorm

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Here is a stream that consistently shows this problem on the Droid, using a 3G connection, no matter what program I use:

http://wduq7.streamguys.net/listen.pls

It's a 24 kbps BBC World Service stream. I've seen it happen on other streams as well. My Droid almost never makes it past about 10-12 minutes, and sometimes it won't even make it to one minute. I reactivated my old WinMo phone temporarily earlier this evening, and it made it past 30 minutes on the first try, before I closed it.

This has me baffled as well.

OP
kijutsu

kijutsu

Reaction score
Here's something odder...

I've found that hi-bitrate streams work great. 96, 128, 160, 192 kbps all work wonderful. The station I listened to that caused me the most havoc was from rangerplex.com (can't post direct link to station due to RIAA legalities and LoudCity), they recently upgraded to a higher bitrate (96 or 128 depending on the show), up from 24 kbps.

Also, I've found that when I SSH into my box here at home, when stuff is idle, the connection seems to drop.

I believe it boils down to a TCP timeout issue, too short specifically. 24kbit isn't enough to keep the TCP timeout from kicking in periodically. Maybe a rooted droid could be used to change the TCP timeout, and see if that helps any?