Droid 3 - Steeldroid locked in infinite loading screen

Droidrook

Reaction score
I tried rooting my droid 3 for the first time today, with disastrous results. I've rooted both the droid1 and the x2, and I was confident that I could perform this without any problems, and yet here I am asking for help. I downloaded the newest version of steeldroid v3.0 and the Ice Cream Sandwich theme from this page:

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/steel-droid-d3/176183-steel-droid-compatible-themes.html

F
irst I installed the droid 3 official bootstrap from the marketplace, and ran the first option (it said bootstrap recovery). Then I installed rom manager and clicked on flash clockworkmod recovery. Then I pasted both the theme and steeldroid into my internal sd card and rebooted into recovery mode. I first used nandroid to create a backup of everything on my computer. I wiped the cache and also the Bolvik (spelling?) cache under the advanced menu. Then I clicked on "install zip from sd card" and it took me right to internal storage and I selected the zip file holding the steeldroid update. It ran successfully, and feeling confident I immediately returned to "install zip from sd card" again and selected Ice cream sandwich. It loaded fine, so I wiped the cache one more time and rebooted. It loaded into the cool swirling crystals screen on loadup, and I waited...and waited...and waited...

After 30 minutes I did a battery pull and tried again. after another 20 minutes I pressed the power key and x and loaded the recovery, but instead of loading clockworkmod's recovery screen I got the stock one, and it for some reason is accessing my external sd card and refuses to access my internal which is where my rom and backup information is. I did a factory reset, but that didn't help anything either. I don't know how to use an adb shell to access the terminal, or any really advanced options. I just want to get this fixed so I can get my phone working again, any help would be truly appreciated.

-Trent

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You needed to install hashcodes recovery. I think your only solution at this point is to SBF.

Hashcodes recovery is available from power off state, where as ROM manager cwm is not.

Its called Droid 3 bootstrapper, and is searchable on google. I'm not near a computer otherwise I'd link you.

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yes that is the thread with the info you need IIRC.

Let us know how you fare.

Sent from my XT862, while on the move.

blackbelt27

Reaction score
Not sure, but its possible the cache wipe could have caused it, also the ics theme flash right after steeldroid could have made a gap in some configuration protocol. I would avoid similar circumstances

FYI restoring a backup of a previous firmware version causes an infinate bootscreen