Droid 3 One-click root verified

boinkman

Reaction score
Droid 3 One-click root verified on Droid X2

I'm not the first but I just rooted ota gingerbreaded dx2 using the one-click method for droid 3 without a hitch. It's good to be back.

ckburks

Reaction score
OK... Just tried it via DROID life instruction... No root though it says success...

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

mattbc1

Reaction score
Go to motorolas website and you can download them there. you need them to use your phone with your computer.

berfles

Reaction score
Ok, mine already work but I'll get the latest anyway. If this doesn't work will I risk bricking the phone, or will it just not work? I know normal rooting doesn't risk it but this seems fishy to me with the OTA GB update and whatnot.

mattbc1

Reaction score
If it doesnt work youre phone will be fine, just search the forums for the bootstrap recovery so you can make a backup if you mess something up after youre rooted. I used the one click method and it didnt work the first couple of times but after that it was fine.

berfles

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x2-hacks/156070-sbf-file-rsd-lite-drivers-instructions.html

I see it listed there so I guess I'll use that one.

If I have this correct in my mind, the bootstrap lets you recover from a more serious problem? At first I thought it was just to back your data and files up but it seems more than that.

And can I get a basic overview with what I do with the D3 one click version here? I'll try to find it on the forums but if I can't I want to get this out here so someone can guide me without wasting a whole day of looking. It looks like I set the phone to Charge Only, then run the .bat file and follow instructions. Is that it?

berfles

Reaction score
Well, I ran MyBackup Pro as a precaution and used the link above, looks like I'm rooted... I tried to install AdFree and it asked for SuperUser permission and seems to work... That was pretty painless, now I need to figure out how to get started freezing garbage software and getting rid of my memory issues.

mattbc1

Reaction score
Sorry I didnt get back, ive been at work. You definitely need to get the bootstrap recovery, it basically allows you to make a backup of your entire system so you can go back to that if you mess anything up. If you are going to freeze or uninstall anything or flash any roms it is essential. Some apps.that you can use to freeze/uninstall are bloat freezer and titanium backup, you can get them on the market.

berfles

Reaction score
I'll work on getting that now, but I didn't want to get into it before rooting, I thought rooting would be a lot more involved with the OTA GB update. It worked first time with no issues though.

I bought TiBackup too and went through a list on XDA to freeze a bunch of stuff. Not sure if it worked or not, they still show up in the app list and I think TiBackup said they wouldn't. Maybe a reboot would help.

Thanks for the help though.

BRoCKLoCK

Reaction score
So you rooted a DX2 on 2.3.3 using the Droid3 MotorolaOneClickRoot_psouza4.zip method. I had been thinking about trying it myself since it was reported to possibly work on other devices than just the D3. Thanks for your verification.

I do have one question though.. Have you tried wireless_tether_2_0_7 or any of the 3.0+ betas? Does the WiFi Tehering app work? Do you get random reboots, if it does work? I have heard various things such as it works but not in access control mode, to it not working at all in gingerbread. Im not even sure if it works in 2.2.2. I would like to know anyones input on this subject, since i see one of the only real reasons to root right now would be for Wireless Tether, considering the lack of stable ROMs at this time.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. And Thanks for posting your results with the 2.3.4 method. It sounds much easier than reverting to froyo, gingerbreaking, bootstrapping and backing up, then installing a pre-rooted GB (which i already have, minus root) only to see if i can wifi tether. Wifi Tether still works great on my OG Droid BTW.

ckburks

Reaction score
Third version of one click... Still no root! Crap crap and more crap!

mattbc1

Reaction score
Third version of one click... Still no root! Crap crap and more crap!

Yeah, it doesn't seem to work for everyone. I had trouble because I was downloading the file on my phone and transferring it to my computer ( I don't have internet access at home). Once i downloaded it using a computer it worked fine. Also, are you extracting the files after you dl?

ckburks

Reaction score
Tried it both ways...