Droid 2 won't boot After Epic Install

makickal

Reaction score
Hey guys,

After rooting, bootstrapping and installing ROM manager I decided to install Epic. I download it from this forum from my phones browser and installed it from ROM manager. Everything was fine until I woke up this morning and noticed by battery was dead. I went to charge my phone and now all that happens is the the phone will just get stuck on that white Motorola boot logo. I've tried it without the battery in and only using the wall charger. Nothing seems to get the droid 2 to boot up again. Any ideas?! Is there some way to get into the recovery manager while stuck at the boot logo? Any ideas will help. Thank you! Freaking out here lol!

OP
M

makickal

Reaction score
I've looked through all the forums. Though I have now been able to get to that battery charging animation. Good news is I have a full battery again lol. Still can't get past boot logo though. Ahh!

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now if this were a regular Droid the cure would be simple. Boot into recovery and wipe the data and cache. But it's not, so that's kind of pointless isn't it?

I don't know this ROM is brand new I hope you get some help. If I can I'll try and find somebody who might help.

OP
M

makickal

Reaction score
Got it! After the 48th attempt it turned on. I was holding the power button down and volume button. I don't see why that would matter as the bootstrap would have to be running in order to have any effect on getting into recovery mode wit the Droid 2. I'm thinking it's a bug with epic. If you have low/zero battery life it may not let you to boot-up even with an external power source. You'll have to wait for a near full charge then unplug it and try booting again.

Now that this crisis is averted.. :) is it not a good idea to use ROM manager to install Roms on the Droid 2?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
rom manager is not ready to be used with the d2 yet. I suggest installing roms through recovery. Glad to see you fixed your issue.

OP
M

makickal

Reaction score
I see.. Thanks guys for the quick responses.

OP
M

makickal

Reaction score
Update: After installing epic and finally getting my phone to boot up again, I noticed I lost Bootstrap and super user in the process.

Nazrix

Reaction score
Same issue here, hanging on M logo. Just got a new battery and installed it, it's not fully charged yet, seems to mirror the above poster's cause.

Will let it charge up a bit and retry.

Droid 2 w/ Epic 1.1 installed today.

Nazrix

Reaction score
Update:

Got it to boot up, but had to plug it into my notebook.

I'm super new to Android, so I don't really know the terminology, I just got the phone yesterday...but here's what I did.

Was plugged into an iphone wall charger (1A vs. 800mah one M provides), wouldn't boot past the battery screen or M splash-screen. If I held down Power + Volume -> bootloader with ver., battery status, connection method, and "Program OK" and USB/Connect to PC message appeared.

Restarted it a few times using that, no go, regardless of whether it was just on AC, Battery, or any combination.

Booted from battery only holding power + volume, got the bootloader screen instructing to connect to PC, did so, some drivers failed to install, unplugged it, removed the battery, put battery back in, plugged USB from PC back in, held the power button, then it booted up rather quickly.

Not really sure what made it work. I just got the Seidio Indocell 2800mah which caused this (since I had to put the battery in and left the phone dead). The battery level reached 100% by the time I tried this combination that worked, so I don't know if that was what did it or not.

Nazrix

Reaction score
Yeah, boot hangs when I power off + power on it while it's plugged in to an AC outlet no matter how many reboots.

But, once I plug it into my laptop, it'll boot up... gonna try to uninstall this for now since I use many different charging methods/swap batteries...but not looking forward to bloatware coming back :(

Nazrix

Reaction score
Hmm, I could use some help if anyone might know, but... how do I get Epic off of here, when I go to bootstrap and click the reboot, it hangs on the motorola symbol, this happens with any reboot now... am I screwed?

I installed it using this:

xda-developers - View Single Post - Epic Unleashed 1.1! Get your bug fixes here!

there's 1 line about removal "If you need to undo this thing, boot back up into bootstrapper using Droid 2 Bootstrapper -> Reboot Recovery -> Back Up and Restore (after the reboot) -> Restore." and I've tried this method and I can't get past the reboot/booting into bootstrapper.

grasstopher

Reaction score
i had a similar issue naz. i got it to work by:

boot using factory settings (hold x while booting)
clear cache
format
reboot and move past tutorial
download Koush's program and install
open program and click bootstrap recovery
now click reboot recovery

hope that helps... matt was helping me in the other forum and i guess it's not advised to use the stock recovery program but it's the only thing that i could get to work. you might want to wait for him to comment before trying the above

Nazrix

Reaction score
Thanks! Glad to hear it's not just me.

Maybe I'll give that a try, I was trying to use some SBF flash thing but it wasn't working, RSD Lite wouldn't let me click "start" so at that step it failed.

This is what i was looking at -> http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-rooted-help/76378-droid-2-sbf.html

Were you having an inability to reboot completely like me (without doing a hard reset removing battery, etc.) ?

grasstopher

Reaction score
it rebooted once for me but very slowly. the os was really laggy so i powered down. when i tried to bring the os back up it was stuck at the M logo like your phone. i was able to format with the stock recovery program and was surprised to find Epic still installed and my phone still rooted. it wouldn't restart properly, however, so i formatted again using the stock utility and that's when matt told me to retry the bootstrap.