Droid 2 Global Root and ROM questions

MegaThrasher

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here and I just got a Droid 2 Global for christmas and I'm kinda wondering what to do. This is my first android phone and I've wanted one for a while so I've been to forums and read up on them a lot.

So I installed launcher pro for a more stock looking and faster launcher. I know I want to root (for setCPU underclock and free wireless tether) and maybe a custom ROM. But is Fission the only custom ROM for the Global and how hard/risky is it to put a ROM on because I don't want to brick it and be stuck with a worthless new phone. Also how hard/risky is root?

And one more question. Is there a big performance increase/decrease with a ROM or with root. (Besides setCPU)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
M

MegaThrasher

Reaction score
But do they Droid 2 and Droid 2 global have the same rooting processes? I've heard yes and no and I'm not sure. And also do you have to have a full battery/ is it a good idea?

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
The process itself is the same. ROMs made for the D2 will NOT work for the D2G though. Proceed with caution as there is no full sbf for the D2G! Shouldn't be much longer though.

DroidForums junkie!!

OP
M

MegaThrasher

Reaction score
I don't know what an SBF is but it sounds like it would be a good thing to have so I guess I'll go ahead and root and they wait until there's an sbf before I do a custom ROM.

TwoBuells

Reaction score
I did root and custom recovery using http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...root-custom-recovery-sim-unlock-tutorial.html and so now what.

I don't want a custom ROM till there's an sbf and I got wireless tether.

And will my phone boot into custom recovery every time it reboots or is there a way to make it not do that. Not that it reboots very often.

I'm at the same point that your are.
Rooted D2g
installed wireless tether, drocap (screen capture), droid2bootstraper app, and Fission ROM Manager.
But I have not gotten the stones to try Fission Custom ROM yet.
I did try the bootstraper custom recovery and made a nandroid backup.

Last edited:

Droid2G-0369

Reaction score
i was the same as both of you a few weeks ago and now im running fission on my d2g. if you read read read you will be fine go for it you wont be diappointed and you wont want stock ever again. DROID FORUMS ROCK!!!! get with spaz and droid does they are gurus of the droid :)

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I still consider myself a newb :)

i was the same as both of you a few weeks ago and now im running fission on my d2g. if you read read read you will be fine go for it you wont be diappointed and you wont want stock ever again. DROID FORUMS ROCK!!!! get with spaz and droid does they are gurus of the droid :)

DroidForums junkie!!

TwoBuells

Reaction score
I did it!
now running Fission Rom, install went smooth as glassdancedroid

ok, so I just re booted and I guess Bootstraper runs all the time. So when you first start the phone, it boots into recovery mode and then you must hit the phone button and reboot system everytime???
I'm not sure if I like that but I could live with it.

edit...ok second time I turned phone off than it started like normal, it didn't restart into recovery....

I want to try a different theme so I think I should run bootstraper than the rom manager, choose theme.......this is fun, just like my first Droid.......

Last edited:
OP
M

MegaThrasher

Reaction score
Is Fission a lot more responsive then stock?

OP
M

MegaThrasher

Reaction score
I litterally just put Fission on. Went off without a hitch. Its so much better than stock its like going from COD online to system link response is INSTANT. Btw what's the ROM upgrade for?

And when you put a theme on do you erase your data/cache?

Also is there anywhere I can see black theme screenshots?

TwoBuells

Reaction score
Fission ROM Black theme, ADW launcher blue theme

First five screen shots in this link is from my D2G
Droid Screen shots pictures by Mikey394 - Photobucket

CAP2010122801461.jpg