Droid 2 global LOCATION question!

billy4

Reaction score
Do I need to have all the location settings on? The 3 are : Use Wireless Location, Use GPS Satellites and Enable Assisted GPS. I don't even know what these mean but I had 2/3 checked and wondering if its eating battery up when I don't need them on. Someone please help!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
Wireless location means “try to determine your location from cell towers and WiFi spots in sight”.
Assisted GPS means “When using GPS, try downloading almanac and ephemeris from an internet location instead of trying to fetch them from the satellites”; Assisted GPS usually shortens GPS “cold start” time from 15-20 minutes down to 4-10 seconds.

leobg

Reaction score
To add to GY's great explanation - Assisted GPS uses data services in order to assist cold GPS starts. This means if you are roaming or you have no data plan, you may get charged for data usage (it is really small amount -3-4kb per session, but still enough to get on your bill especially if roaming).

If you need location services to help you with local searches or to assist location based weather information, you can use the wireless location option only (coarse location). This will save you some battery compared to second option which uses GPS satellites (fine location). That one however is a must if you want to use GPS navigation (with google maps for example). Third option is in order to shorten the time of acquiring satellite lock as GY noted, but uses cellular data (as noted here:))

OP
B

billy4

Reaction score
Im looking for the one that's gonna save me the most battery. I don't really neeed my location very much as I don't use navigation at all. I just don't wanna pick the one that sucks the most battery.

OP
B

billy4

Reaction score
So would that just be the Use Wireless Networks one? With the 2 GPS ones off?

OP
B

billy4

Reaction score
Anyone?

OP
B

billy4

Reaction score
You sure about that?

CJM

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
https://twitter.com/Corey
Pretty sure. Running stuff like GPS & WiFi all the time uses more battery. The best way is to try a few different combinations and see which one works the best. But I'm pretty sure leaving the GPS off will save the battery.

Sent from the Unbrickable DROID

OP
B

billy4

Reaction score
Alright thanks ill try it out. Anyone else know anything????

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
I really doubt GPS uses battery when location services are not in use (there is no GPS indicator in the status bar).