droid 2 global dust in the screen

bigdad84

Reaction score
I have a droid 2 global and I got my first speck of dust under my screen and I've only had it for 3 days. I'm going to take it into verizon and see what they do. Will they give me a replacement phone because its a manufacturers defect? I carry it in my pocket all the time and I am guessing that this is the reason why the dust got in the screen so quickly. Is there any kind of case that will prevent this because just one little speck of dust in my screen bothers the heck out of me.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
the original droid is well known to have dust under the screen due to the ear speaker.

i do recall some members replacing their units for the dust, but is it really worth replacing it for a CLNR?

K20turbo

Reaction score
I remember the back in the days when my razr would always get dust in screen i hope this isnt an issue with the d2g. I can already see dust in the ear speaker within a month of usage.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Dust under the screen is considered a Manufacturer Defect so yes you can replace it. Advice would be to go to a corporate store that will give you a 'new' phone and not a CLN pos. Given you've only had it a few days that shouldn't be an issue but you might have to go to a few stores (some may be low on stock after xmas week).

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
If it's under 30 days old you will get a new device.
Over 30 and it'll be a CLNR...

elydoug

Reaction score
I had a Storm1 that had HUGE amounts of dust under the screen after the first couple of weeks. Couldn't even read some text when the sun hit it. Verizon store manager took over my case and said that dust under the screen is NOT a defect and will not be replaced. "Phones are not usually replaced for cosmetic (I know, but that is what they constantly called the problem) issues". Good luck...

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I had a Storm1 that had HUGE amounts of dust under the screen after the first couple of weeks. Couldn't even read some text when the sun hit it. Verizon store manager took over my case and said that dust under the screen is NOT a defect and will not be replaced. "Phones are not usually replaced for cosmetic (I know, but that is what they constantly called the problem) issues". Good luck...

You had a douche store manager (that and if I recall that was a huge issue for that phone, so might have come down from corporate). As for the D2 (and most other phones) the screen is sealed so anything getting 'in' or 'under' the display is a defect in the fact the screen casing isn't/wasn't correctly sealed. I know the D1 had some issues with this when it was released and didn't hear of anyone being turned down for a replacement.

elydoug

Reaction score
Good to hear. It was a big issue with me too. The tech told me that the Storm was a one piece screen and no dust could possibly get under it! I told him that the screen was a two piece glass/transflective(?) sandwich with very thin sticky tape around the edge to hold the two together (I eventually separated them myself and cleaned the dust but it always came back...). I am glad to hear that the D2G will be replaced if the dust gets too bad. I just got one for Christmas to replace my Storm 1 but the D2G crashed and I had to send it back already so I'm back to my dusty old Storm!

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Good to hear. It was a big issue with me too. The tech told me that the Storm was a one piece screen and no dust could possibly get under it! I told him that the screen was a two piece glass/transflective(?) sandwich with very thin sticky tape around the edge to hold the two together (I eventually separated them myself and cleaned the dust but it always came back...). I am glad to hear that the D2G will be replaced if the dust gets too bad. I just got one for Christmas to replace my Storm 1 but the D2G crashed and I had to send it back already so I'm back to my dusty old Storm!

Wow, that sucks. Thought the D2 was doing better. Well hopefully you're next unit will be good to go. Did you get the phone from VZW or a 3rd party? You may want to try taking it to a Corporate store next time to save the delay of shipping (hopefully there won't be a next time...). Good luck.

evilp8ntballer7

Reaction score
well honestly being a tech and issuing CLNR phones is my job, I'd say that dust under the screen is probably not something it would get swapped out for, at least not here, its not that I would decide that but as far as other people go its not something serious enough, some canned air would proabably take care of it.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
well honestly being a tech and issuing CLNR phones is my job, I'd say that dust under the screen is probably not something it would get swapped out for, at least not here, its not that I would decide that but as far as other people go its not something serious enough, some canned air would proabably take care of it.

Nice to see that VZW has loyal employees helping it go after AT&T's award of worse customer service:icon_ banana:

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
haha well I have an iphone and work at verizon so what do you think about that.

Ah, that explains it, anyone that thinks being told how they can or can't hold their phone to make a call is acceptable is obviously demented and probably a brainwashed minion out to ruin competitors :rofl3:

elydoug

Reaction score
Thanks but if you had had any experience with the Storm dust problem, you would know that suggesting a "can of air" would be like asking me if I had tried restarting the device. It was definitely a manufacturing issue. I found a tutorial that showed how to remove the screen from the case, pry apart the two layers of glass, and wipe the dust out. Then press the two screens back together and re-assemble the phone. Warranty be gone! I'm really not a picky guy, there was a LOT of dust. I finally went with a Seidio 360 case that had an integrated screen protector and that held the dust at bay for a couple of months. Thats just water under the bridge, but I am glad that the same problem on the D2G will not be brushed aside like the Storm 1.