Droid 2 | D2.35 to D2.37 Bootloader

wheeler32

Reaction score
Droid 2 Stuck in Bootloader D2.37, Now D2.35

The 'brick' happened back on Sunday and I've been searching around a half dozen forums since then with no luck. It's time to have a thread of my own as none of the other threads have worked thus far. The device is a Motorola Droid 2 that has been rooted using ADB and the .apk files - it had been running 2.2 (2.3.20 System) but now I don't even know that there is an OS on it.

So we were out on a hike and the device was was nagging and nagging about this 2.3 Gingerbread update - I knew that I had root and an update wasn't an option without unrooting. However, through an incidental bump in or out of the pack, the update ended up running without my knowledge. Next thing I know, the device is bricked in my pack with a "Bootloader D2.37" message.

Contacted Verizon and SquareTrade, neither of them are up for replacing it - even did the factory wipe, cache wipe, etc. with Verizon's help. Verizon's recommendation was to have a go at flashing it back to 2.2 so I've been working on that for the last 72 hours with no luck.

It hadn't been working with RSD Lite 4.8, 4.9 or 5.0 on Windows 7 (both x86 and x64) but it kept failing with the 'pass through' error so I've switched over to a sbf_flash.bin file on Fedora 14 - it runs without errors but the device was still stuck in the "Bootloader D2.37" message. Then I had a forum recommending reverting to the D2.25 so I went through and did that too - now it's stuck in the "Bootloader D2.25" message instead. I've been using the 2.3.20 file from the thread here - this is the only variable that has been constant throughout this process.

I've been remembering to pull the battery, wait, replace the battery, load recovery console and do the factory wipe and cache wipe each time but no luck - it's just stuck in the bootloader loop. Now I'm waiting until my roommate is back tonight to swap my dead battery for his full battery. I know that I'm missing one or two little details so ... help?

- Wheeler