Droid 2 Battery Drain

akpitt12

Reaction score
I purchased the Droid 2 and the battery life on it frankly sucks. The ATK doesn't seem to work because of the way Froyo 2.2 is made. I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing these issues and a possible solution. I've had to charge it twice today, once only after 5 hours.

SerenityIV

Reaction score
Yeah, me too... and it seems to be an issue with quite a lot of people... I don't know what it is. This is my first smart phone, but I really didn't think the battery would drain that fast... today I tried to do as little as possible, and I went to play with it later in the day, and it was dead... I didn't even turn the screen on!!! It has to be something with all the apps. running. I have Advanced Task Killer, but as soon as you kill the tasks, they pop right back up. I'm a little frusterated... Any tips to help this battery draining issue would be fantastic

AtrusNex

Reaction score
Does it get the same bad battery life without ATK running? ATK has been known too destroy battery life in some cases, not improve it. You might try using it without it for now.

SerenityIV

Reaction score
Yeah, that's what I've been hearing, so that was part one of trying to improve the situation... idk, it just doesn't make sense. Why make a phone with so much capabilities with apps., widgets, etc. if the battery isn't going to last more than a few hours?

AtrusNex

Reaction score
Would you mind posting what you battery usage is showing? It might help people lead you to your problem.

SerenityIV

Reaction score
Well, it says the display is using 90%... but again, I have it set to 15 seconds to turn off or w/e... It's on automatic, and I tried to put it to the lowest setting, and the percentage doesn't move..? The other big one is about 10, and is the Android System... and there used to be another one up there: the Motorola Services thing... What's really weird though is about a minute ago, there were a ton of apps. showing about 1%, then I deleted the App Killer, and all of those are gone under the battery management thing... so now the Display went from 50% usage to 90%... the display seriously can't be the bulk of my power... It's not on that often? or is it?

AtrusNex

Reaction score
The display is usually only outdone by long voice calls. If it's anything like the original droid, 50% seems about accurate, 90% seems a little ridiculous honestly, unless there have been some significant efficiency improvements in the processor.

The reason the others disappeared is, most likely, because ATK has stopped trying to kill the processes and they went to sleep like they should, instead of using the CPU to have to restart and then be shut down again.

AtrusNex

Reaction score
Oh, and I would suggest you let the phone sit unplugged for a while. At least a half hour. Maybe restart it and see if your power consumption is any different now. If you still have problems please post what the battery usage is doing.

SerenityIV

Reaction score
Very interesting... do you know how to get rid of apps. like City ID... it won't let me uninstall some apps. like that... also, how do you use the new feature to update all the apps. at once? Thanks for the help too... I'm a n00b at this, haha.

hobby31

Reaction score
I read somewhere that 2.2 interferes with task killers and they don't work on Froyo.

SerenityIV

Reaction score
And is there a good app. for sound options? I can't seem to get the vibrate/silent mode down, haha. I feel really stupid about that. Coming from a Voyager, I was just able to put it on Vibrate, but it seems that my texts and email notifications don't vibrate, just the incoming calls do.

SerenityIV

Reaction score
I tried turning the phone off and replugging it in... the battery before I turned it off said 20% charged, and now that it's plugged in, it says 80% charged, hahaha... Also, under usage, there is nothing there... tried refreshing, but still nothing.. perhaps it takes a few minutes?

AtrusNex

Reaction score
Unfortunately, because stock applications are stored on the system partition, the only way I know to get rid of them is with root privileges. You'll have to wait for the phone to be rooted then it will be a simple task.

The Froyo sound issue is just a strange choice for the developers for Froyo. Supposedly the whole system is going to be re-vamped for 3.0, but otherwise the only fix I know of off hand is to run a custom ROM like Cyanogen. I do believe there are some apps in the market for this purpose I'm just not familiar with them.

AtrusNex

Reaction score
I tried turning the phone off and replugging it in... the battery before I turned it off said 20% charged, and now that it's plugged in, it says 80% charged, hahaha... Also, under usage, there is nothing there... tried refreshing, but still nothing.. perhaps it takes a few minutes?

The phone doesn't show battery usage when plugged in. You have to unplug it for it to log that information.