Droid 1 screen dead-no display-only backlight

TheRagnarok

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

This droid is bricked or what?

Faulty hardware? (Do I need to reflow any chips?)

Following sbf files give different results.
sany0009h.jpg

moto-droid2.01stock.sbf
The droid shows only a backlight upon turning it on (with the
keyboard/touch buttons not lighting up).

FRG22D.sbf
Shows backlight on the first 15 seconds upon power on starts dim, gets a
little brighter, then goes black with touch & keyboard buttons now lighting up. Also touch buttons respond with the little vibrator jumping.

Bought this listed on Ebay as "AS-IS No Power and not Charging Battery" for $60 "Best Offer". The battery works fine and powers the phone. For some reason I thought I could fix this so it was a boredom/impulse buy.

Would it be possible to root this so I can display the screen onto my pc over usb with "android screen cast" or "android screen monitor"

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
:welcome: to the forum!

You bought it as is. And there it is. Looks like it's been beat to death and dropped a few times. Definately hardware. If anyone wants to know what a bricked droid looks like, I'll send them to this thread ;)

good luck and have fun

dlwhtrose

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
Welcome to the forums.

I have seen a thread around here a while ago that showed a video of someone changing out the screen. If you are real adventurous you could try that otherwise, I would say that you are out of luck.

Sorry. Did the add say any thing about the phone screen not working??? If it did not you may have a recourse through PayPal or Ebay because its not functional. "As Is" terms are not always the end of the story. See if you can see the listing and see how they described the phone.

Good luck.

OP
T

TheRagnarok

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.

I have seen a thread around here a while ago that showed a video of someone changing out the screen. If you are real adventurous you could try that otherwise, I would say that you are out of luck.

Sorry. Did the add say any thing about the phone screen not working??? If it did not you may have a recourse through PayPal or Ebay because its not functional. "As Is" terms are not always the end of the story. See if you can see the listing and see how they described the phone.

Good luck.

The item was listed as stated below:

Motorola Droid. NO POWER AS IS.

Verizon Wireless ANDROID OS Phone. Unknown ESN i can provide in private message if you want,

CONDITION: Used cosmetic condition. THE PHOEN WILL NOT CHARGE OR POWER ON.. Sold AS IS NO RETURNS FOR PARTS.

INCLUDED ITEMS: Phone, Battery, Battery Cover

PAYMENT: Please make all payments via Paypal Thank you.

SHIPPING: We ship all items within 24 hours of paymet (excluding holidays and weekends). We use safe secure packaging and iNSURANCE IS AVAILABLE AT BUYERS COST. Please ask.

We strive for POSITIVE 5 STAR FEEDBACK & ebay views anything less as negative so we will fix ANY problems you might have.

Hmmm no mention of dead screen, should I dispute?
I mentioned to the seller that the phone showed signs of being previously disassembled (it had tool marks where you pry the stickers off on the back, and that it was missing the screws that hold the motherboard/logicboard in). No Reply. :laugh:

teddyearp

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Razr 5g Rooted
Myself, I would interpret the very first part "NO POWER AS IS" as just that. To me, the first part tells me that if the phone will not power on, then I wouldn't expect the screen to work. The second part tells me that it is AS IS and shouldn't expect it to work at all. Further down it stresses "AS IS NO RETURNS FOR PARTS" as just that, no returns, period. A parts phone would probably show some signs of someone else taking it apart, or not. If I bought that phone, I would not expect anything whatsoever out of it. I think the auction listing is accurate to what you received. And I have been buying and selling on eBay almost since since they started.

You said you boght it on a whim to see if you could fix it, I suggest you look into doing just that. I believe I have seen screens for sale on eBay, and dlwhtrose says theres a thread here to fix it.

good luck

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
If USB debugging is enabled and you could see the phone in DDMS you'd probably find the phone is coming up and working, just no display. I've seen that before,.just as you describe and it required a motherboard replacement to fix. Replacing the digitizer/screen didn't work.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Reaction score
If USB debugging is enabled and you could see the phone in DDMS you'd probably find the phone is coming up and working, just no display. I've seen that before,.just as you describe and it required a motherboard replacement to fix. Replacing the digitizer/screen didn't work.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
How is USB debugging enabled on a moto droid?

I agree with what others said above. Even though they do not indicate that the screen seems dead, it does say it doesn't power up. They did SOMETHING to it.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Settings> Applications> Development> USB Debugging

I leave mine on all the time because it means I can plug my phone into my PC without the USB Mass Storage screen popping up automatically as well as other reasons. You might want to turn it on as it's a requirement for tethering and ADB to work. As such there's a chance the Droid in the OP may be testable.

MotoCache1

Chief Droid Scientist
Reaction score
How would you even GET a motherboard legitimately without having a donor phone?
The cell phone shop had a D1 there that they use for testing (swap suspected bad component into their known good phone, see if problem follows component or not) and they just sold the motherboard out of it. Had a good ESN, so no biggie. Not sure if the repair places can buy bare replacement motherboards or not. Could also buy phones with trashed displays, cosmetically damaged cases, etc. to harvest motherboards out of.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Good point. Since that's almost as expensive as buying a used phone anyway, it kind of defeats the purpose unless you're a die-hard fixer, in which case kill the boredom with new phone bits! :)

OP
T

TheRagnarok

Reaction score
-Update- seller is giving me a full refund

Well, the seller is being really cool and giving me a full refund.
And after I finally got this thing to turn on... and it had a dead screen. dancedroid
Also, I tried to use DDMS but it wouldn't show up in the device list.
I could flash .sbf files to it though.

Anyway, was just aiming for a cheap Droid with a $30 a month no-contract prepaid plan, and the ESN was clear (checked the "add a line" feature on the verizon site).

Maybe I should just get a working used one (with a no-contract plan).

Anyways.... thanks for all of the advice. You guys sure know your phones. :)

Maybe I'll be back with a Droid in tow?