Droid 1 Audio Problems

breNTx22

Reaction score
I listen to Pandora through my Droid about 40 hours a week so the audio port gets a lot of use. For the past week or so it's very sensative to movement. What I mean is that if the Headphone jack isn't in there the right way it will be very distorted. Sometimes it will lightly rub against something (leather case, chair arm, ect) and i'll have to move it around a bit to stop the distortion. I've tried many different pairs of headphones and the problem still occurs.

The second problem is that sometimes it "pops" and "crackles" when playing music. Usually this is when I have it turned up past 70%. What's the deal with this?

OP
B

breNTx22

Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced this?
I had this happen with my ipod touch. Its just the headphone jack wearing out. It's just losing connection inside the jack itself. solution: bluetooth headphones?

I assume this can be replaced by Verizon/Motorola. I'll have to call them.

The only problem with Bluetooth headphones is that when I listen to my phone in the office (all day) if I lose signal or the Bluetooth headphone battery dies music will come out of my phone and disturb my coworkers.

Nicky

Reaction score
I listen through headphones about 6 hours a day and have just started having this issue. It started about 2 weeks ago and has gotten worse at a very quick pace. Yesterday I almost gave up trying to listen at all because I had to fiddle with the headset plug every 5 minutes or so. I found this thread and am trying out the "fix with straw" today. I have no other issues with my phone so I hate to risk a refurb at this point.

Fingers crossed.

OP
B

breNTx22

Reaction score
I listen through headphones about 6 hours a day and have just started having this issue. It started about 2 weeks ago and has gotten worse at a very quick pace. Yesterday I almost gave up trying to listen at all because I had to fiddle with the headset plug every 5 minutes or so. I found this thread and am trying out the "fix with straw" today. I have no other issues with my phone so I hate to risk a refurb at this point.

Fingers crossed.

A few days ago I started contacted verizon about a replacement phone. They're sending one out to me. In the mean time, I installed a new kernel to OC my phone to 1.2ghz. This seems to have fixed my audio problem. I haven't had to adjust it the past few days.

The downside is sometimes the device hangs or applications crash/stop responding.

I'm not sure if it's hardware or software. I want to say it's software related because as soon as I put this new kernel on it practically fixed the problem.

On the other side, it could be hardware related because when the sound would go faulty (aka sound like it's playing underwater) it could be fixed by adjusting the placement of headphone jack.

As far as the popping/crackling sound goes. I looked this up and somewhere i read that this was a result of the Droid audio drivers not know how to handle certain frequencies (certain low frequencies I think).

Firesong3k

Reaction score
Honestly, getting a returb really isn't risking anything. First off, they ship you the refurb first and you have 10 days to ship a phone back. It doesn't matter which phone you ship back.. as long as they get one. So if the refurb you get isn't in good condition you just send that one back.

Im assuming you read the numerous threads on here about the nightmare that people went through with refurbs. I would believe about 1/4 of those as most of.them were only people looking for an easy way into a D2. Those bad refurb threads were here and there, but when the D2 came out it seemed like every other thread was someone getting one bad refurb after another. It was people who expected a free upgrade because of their 'problems' with their phone and were just returning phone after phone to get it! I had a D1 refurb and it was actually better then my original when it came to overclocking!! So I guess it was nice people were having these fake issues because the refurbs they were sending out were pretty much new!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
B

breNTx22

Reaction score
Honestly, getting a returb really isn't risking anything. First off, they ship you the refurb first and you have 10 days to ship a phone back. It doesn't matter which phone you ship back.. as long as they get one. So if the refurb you get isn't in good condition you just send that one back.

Im assuming you read the numerous threads on here about the nightmare that people went through with refurbs. I would believe about 1/4 of those as most of.them were only people looking for an easy way into a D2. Those bad refurb threads were here and there, but when the D2 came out it seemed like every other thread was someone getting one bad refurb after another. It was people who expected a free upgrade because of their 'problems' with their phone and were just returning phone after phone to get it! I had a D1 refurb and it was actually better then my original when it came to overclocking!! So I guess it was nice people were having these fake issues because the refurbs they were sending out were pretty much new!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Yeah, I agree. I have faith in the refurb because of the warranty.

Either it works fine and i'm happy with my D1

OR

it breaks, I get a "new" D1 and just load the image on, and then i'm 1 phone closer to being able to play the "I've had 'x' amount of phones that broke, I want a free upgrade!" card.''

Win-Win as far as i'm concerned.

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
I been having the problem for a while now.... it will either get distorted or the music will completely shut off (like when you unplug it) i've just dealt with it until I move onto another great android phone