Dreadful update

Davidbiz

Reaction score
I've just had an auto update installed of a new OS...IT SUCKS! Don't do it. They have arrogantly decided to completely change the UI and screw everything up. Apps don't work, backgrounds are hideous white and not the more user friendly black with white writing..(and no choices!)...and they've added this infuriating "dock" of icons at the bottom of the screen which you can't get rid of. For God's sake, Google/Motorola...you are NOT iPhone! For all our sakes, stop trying to BE iPhone! Everything is less convenient! I really hate it when they do this stuff with NO warning, NO instructions of how to figure it out, and NO options to customize!

SHAME ON MOTOROLA AND GOOGLE!

duyna

Reaction score
I guess each their own its now where like the iphone, better and if you want to really customize then go and root and have fun

ota gb rooted with cm7 with jakebites mod perfect

tbirover

Reaction score
Gee, I think I just got this 1 hr ago and still looking for what changed. Pleased so far. But then, rare in settings, hated a white notify bar. And when first reloaded went straight to alt home ADW EX and missed any new curd stuck on tthe bottom.

notinks

Reaction score
I suddenly have a notification sound every time I get an email where previously it was only on texts. Help?

dx1968

Reaction score
That will be in your email settings....notifications.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You can change everything you're complained about. GB is miles ahead of Froyo.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

OP
D

Davidbiz

Reaction score
Update on update

Okay, so now I have had time to mess with the update. First off, I will admit that performance has improved dramatically. Wifi no longer drops...AT LAST!!!!!but there are issues. #1 I don't like this dock thing that sits at the bottom of the Home pages. I preferred it when the Contact and phone icon were right there at your fingertips at the bottom of the Home screens. Now you have to delete icons by taking them to the TOP of the screens. #2 I don't like the white background with black writing on all the menus. it was easier to read when white on black background. The quick Facebook post page on contacts has gone. You'll have to go into FB and read updates the old fashioned way. There's a weird "Profiles" option which I have yet to understand but it keeps popping up when you try to go "Home." More Bloatware has been installed and can't be stopped or removed.

I guess my big problem is that they upload such a big change to the interface, which has you customizing all over again, without saying anything or warning you.

happyDroid

Reaction score
The copy and paste pretty much sucks. Before I could hold down shift and a direction button, which would then select some text, then hard press the screen and press cut/copy from the prompt. Now doing the same routine requires an extra step; after selecting text, if I hold down I get a prompt with options to select, instead of cut/copy. It is only after I select "select text" even though the text is already selected, is when I can actually press down and get to a prompt to cut/copy.
You can change everything you're complained about. GB is miles ahead of Froyo.
Rightttttt....

Issue 17407 - android - Missing Clipboard History in Gingerbread Droid X - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting
^- Amazing feature for Document control and communication in general, completely removed.

Issue 1106 - android-wifi-tether - Verizon wifi tether stopped working at about August 31st, 2011, 8:00PM CDT - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting
^- Immediately after updating, this occurs rendering that app useless.

There are some unnecessary flaws within Gingerbread that didn't have to occur. Disappointing to see.

Insidious

Reaction score
Okay, so now I have had time to mess with the update. First off, I will admit that performance has improved dramatically. Wifi no longer drops...AT LAST!!!!!but there are issues. #1 I don't like this dock thing that sits at the bottom of the Home pages. I preferred it when the Contact and phone icon were right there at your fingertips at the bottom of the Home screens. Now you have to delete icons by taking them to the TOP of the screens. #2 I don't like the white background with black writing on all the menus. it was easier to read when white on black background. The quick Facebook post page on contacts has gone. You'll have to go into FB and read updates the old fashioned way. There's a weird "Profiles" option which I have yet to understand but it keeps popping up when you try to go "Home." More Bloatware has been installed and can't be stopped or removed.

I guess my big problem is that they upload such a big change to the interface, which has you customizing all over again, without saying anything or warning you.

Really? I love the look of the new blur! The froyo firmware was UGLY!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The copy and paste pretty much sucks. Before I could hold down shift and a direction button, which would then select some text, then hard press the screen and press cut/copy from the prompt. Now doing the same routine requires an extra step; after selecting text, if I hold down I get a prompt with options to select, instead of cut/copy. It is only after I select "select text" even though the text is already selected, is when I can actually press down and get to a prompt to cut/copy.Rightttttt....

Issue 17407 - android - Missing Clipboard History in Gingerbread Droid X - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting
^- Amazing feature for Document control and communication in general, completely removed.

Issue 1106 - android-wifi-tether - Verizon wifi tether stopped working at about August 31st, 2011, 8:00PM CDT - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting
^- Immediately after updating, this occurs rendering that app useless.

There are some unnecessary flaws within Gingerbread that didn't have to occur. Disappointing to see.

You can root and change anything you want. GB is better performing and better battery life.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

chrstdvd

Reaction score
Every time I check for updates for the past month or so, I get a message, "Check for update was not available at this time. Try again later", with an "OK" button. I wonder if I have something frozen with Titanium that controls the update process.

I am not too excited about getting the Gingerbread update because after a year with the D2, I like the way it is now. I do not really feel like starting all over with this phone.

terrymdw

Reaction score
well i got the update and i now i cant get my phone rooted again! i have tried a couple things and no luck. it tells me that i am rooted but i dont have root acess. i a noob to this so i would love help

All.Star.88

Reaction score
Last edited:

go.nocturn

Reaction score
When you try the one click method make sure use debugging is on and clearing the cache and factory reset wouldn't hurt

terrymdw

Reaction score
ok well i am still have no luck getting my phone rooted. i used the MotorolaOneClickRoot_psouza4.zip it tells me that my phone is rooted but i still have not root
access. so i did a factor reset. then i reran everything still no luck.i used the motorlaoneclickroot the box pops up and find my phone reboots its 3 times and says i am rooted. I tried using the adb file that came w/ it but the box pops up and then it closes. i am useing windows 7. can anyone tell me what i am doing wrong? please help!