Don't have a clue...

amy18

Reaction score
This is all new to me. I gave up my Palm Centro for a Droid last week and it's killing me. I get 50-60 emails a day and am getting constant notifications. I need my phone to ring and audible notification when I get text messages. I searched online and followed directions -- went to the email section and set ringtone to silent and unchecked status bar notifcation - no luck. Clicked on a forum link and some guy wants me to pay him $15 to tell me how to turn off the notifications. I'm not sure how this forum works but I can't afford a phone where I have to pay every time I need an answer.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are you saying someone on this forum asked you for monetary compensation?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

OP
A

amy18

Reaction score
I clicked on FAQ then clicked on a link for Droid Support that said I could ask a question. I asked, they asked me for more details and then a screen came up that said I had to pay for the answer.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Oh you must have somehow ended up on the donation page. No worries answers are free here lol.

Ok so what email app are you using.

OP
A

amy18

Reaction score
I am using my Gmail account.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ok and in the app you changed the notification sound to silent and turned off status bar notifications but it still does both?

OP
A

amy18

Reaction score
Yes. I selected silent for the ringtone and that didn't work. So then I also touched the green check mark where it says "Notifications - Status Bar" so it went to light gray and that didn't help either. Every time you reply to my thread it still makes the Drooooooooid noise.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
first of all, welcome to the forums! you will certainly be able to find answers to your questions, free of charge from friendly people more than willing to simply share info and ideas. i hope you stick around!!

as for your specific request, i'm not exactly sure what you're looking for. you say you need your phone to ring and to get notifications of text msgs, but then you say you need notifications turned off??? assuming you need to get notifications of texts, but not emails, you can set these by opening up each app, go into settings, and choose the type of notification you wish to receive (ie, LED notification, ringtone, vibrate, combo, etc).

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
you might need to reboot for the changes to take effect.

Yes. I selected silent for the ringtone and that didn't work. So then I also touched the green check mark where it says "Notifications - Status Bar" so it went to light gray and that didn't help either. Every time you reply to my thread it still makes the Drooooooooid noise.

OP
A

amy18

Reaction score
How do I reboot? Does that mean I take the battery out?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ya reboot was my next suggestion. Husker beat me to it lol

OP
A

amy18

Reaction score
OK, I have rebooted. No change in Droid's behavior. It still gives me an audible notification and mail message icon in the status bar even though the email ring tone is (still) set to silent and Status Bar Notification is (still) unchecked.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That's really peculiar. Lemme dig around for a sec.