Dont Get Your Hopes Up for a Motorola NEXUS

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
If you thought that because Motorola Mobility will soon be owned by Google Inc. that it would make the OEM a shoe-in for future Nexus devices — that may not be the case at all. Andy Rubin added some clarification on this subject during the company’s conference call earlier today and explained just how Google chooses the next Nexus device (queue angelic music). Here’s an excerpt from that conversation:
Google Nexus Program

We have this strategy where we have this Nexus program and we have this lead device strategy. That strategy has worked quite well to help focus the team. What we do -- around christmas time of each year -- is we select a manufacturer that we work very closely with to release a device in that timeframe.
That includes also semiconductor companies and all the components that go into the device. Essentially teams huddle together in one building, they jointly work in these development efforts, they go on for 9 to 12 months, and ultimately at the holiday season or right before it, devices pop out that are based on this effort.
We don’t expect that to change at all. The acquisition is going to be run as a separate business, they will be part of that bidding process and part of that lead development process. And obviously Android remains open to other partners to use as they are today.
The funny thing about Android is the competition that exists within the manufacturers who license the OS. Even with this announcement, I’m sure there is a little doubt or skepticism going on the back of Sony Ericsson, Samsung, HTC and LG’s head and who could blame them. Guess we’ll have to wait and see how this pans out. What do you guys think? Any of you relieved to hear Andy Rubin’s process for choosing Nexus devices will remain unchanged? Who are you rooting for to build the next Nexus device?

SOURCE: Google: Nexus program explained, unfazed by Motorola acquisition | This is my next...

creaky

Reaction score
I would like to see a Moto Nexus but suspect that the project must be so far along that this decision was made long ago....

sent from my Cyanogenmodded X

Tillmorn

Reaction score
I'd still like to see a Moto Nexus personally. Mostly because they haven't had one yet, and as I stated yesterday...Moto is the only company to stick by Android and not venture into Windows Phone territory in this generation. I feel that Google would be crazy, even with this buyout, not to throw Moto a bone based on that fact alone. Besides, their whole DROID line sells incredibly well. Market it (for Verizon) as the DROID Nexus, people will rush to buy it since most have heard good things about the Nexus S. And those of us in this community would fall all over it. HTC and Samsung have had their field day with Nexus devices already, albeit with no release on Verizon. Moto needs some loving in that department. Or maybe I just like their build quality over other companies? Funny thing is, I'm more of an HTC fanboy than Moto.

Obviously, this would have to be for the 2012 device as the 2011 is supposedly being run by HTC?

sb1831

Reaction score
The ICS Nexus has been in development for roughly 6-7 months MINIMUM according to Rubin. I can assure you're they're not going to purchase MotoMobil and then rush out a less than superb phone just so that Motorola can have the next Nexus device. While they may have been considering the acquisition around the time of the manufacturer selection my bet is going to be that it WON'T be Motorola for the very reason I listed above. Let's be realistic, Google bought Moto in large part because of the patents they hold, afterall, if you look up the names on the patent for a "radio telephone system" TWO motorola employees are listed. They also bought them because they turn a profit though. They change things up now and have Moto put out a Nexus in 4 months and risk devaluing a company they just purchased? I don't think so.

GBH2

Reaction score
I'd still like to see a Moto Nexus personally. Mostly because they haven't had one yet, and as I stated yesterday...Moto is the only company to stick by Android and not venture into Windows Phone territory in this generation. I feel that Google would be crazy, even with this buyout, not to throw Moto a bone based on that fact alone. Besides, their whole DROID line sells incredibly well. Market it (for Verizon) as the DROID Nexus, people will rush to buy it since most have heard good things about the Nexus S. And those of us in this community would fall all over it. HTC and Samsung have had their field day with Nexus devices already, albeit with no release on Verizon. Moto needs some loving in that department. Or maybe I just like their build quality over other companies? Funny thing is, I'm more of an HTC fanboy than Moto.

Obviously, this would have to be for the 2012 device as the 2011 is supposedly being run by HTC?

I pretty much agree, although I am probably more of a Motorola fan. I was hoping for a Motorola Nexus at some point. Funny thing is I think that Google's acquisition of Motorola makes this less likely than before. I doubt we will see a Moto Nexus any time soon.

Maybe if we are lucky we will see a Motorola Nexus-6 (Droid Replicant) that would be cool.:cool:

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'm not gonna lie, I too along with a thousand others would love to see a Motorola Nexus.

Sent from my DROID 3 directly to YOU!

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm starting to look forward to the Bionic next month, then maybe the Moto-Nexus will be out next time my contract comes up. :icon_ banana: That would seem to be the most likely time frame.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I'm starting to look forward to the Bionic next month, then maybe the Moto-Nexus will be out next time my contract comes up. :icon_ banana: That would seem to be the most likely time frame.

Did you not read the thread lol. They basically said to not get our hope up for one.

sb1831

Reaction score
Did you not read the thread lol. They basically said to not get our hope up for one.

I got "we select the manufacturer of the Nexus device 9-12 months in advance." I think all this meant was that we can clearly assume the next Nexus is NOT a Moto phone but I'd be willing the bet what falls after that will be a Moto product. Nexus whatever drops this December and then right around oh say Sept2012 when iPhone whatever is about to drop the Droid Nexus drops (I kinda like the way that sounds too)

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I got "we select the manufacturer of the Nexus device 9-12 months in advance." I think all this meant was that we can clearly assume the next Nexus is NOT a Moto phone but I'd be willing the bet what falls after that will be a Moto product. Nexus whatever drops this December and then right around oh say Sept2012 when iPhone whatever is about to drop the Droid Nexus drops (I kinda like the way that sounds too)

I like the sound of Droid Nexus too. But Google looks for specific things for their Nexus devices. And all I get is that so far, Motorola hasn't impressed Google enough to be selected for a Nexus device. AS OF NOW!

Cipherr

Reaction score
I thought that the Nexus phones were done by more than one manufacturer sometimes for some reason, like cpus from X, an Amoled screen from Samsung, etc etc? In any case, I personally thing Google wont give Moto exclusivity nor favoritism for the same reason Microsoft doesn't.... like, buy IBM then make Windows Operating Systems exclusive to IBM build PC parts. Android (and Windows) marketshare dominance is fueled by the fact that they can run on any manufacturers hardware out there. Which is the exact opposite of Apple, which is why Apples Mac lost all its marketshare to Windows, and Why Iphone is losing all its marketshare to Android, and so on and so forth. I dunno, it seems like the obvious sensible thing is to not **** where you eat. They would paint themselves into a corner pissing off Sony HTC and Samsung and sending those guys running to WP7. It wouldn't end well for Google and Android squeezing the lifeblood out of their OS by doing that. Seems like common sense to me. But everyone seems to be assuming they are going to give Moto all these perks and exclusive stuff to their own detriment, so maybe I'm the crazy one.

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I thought that the Nexus phones were done by more than one manufacturer sometimes for some reason, like cpus from X, an Amoled screen from Samsung, etc etc? In any case, I personally thing Google wont give Moto exclusivity nor favoritism for the same reason Microsoft doesn't.... like, buy IBM then make Windows Operating Systems exclusive to IBM build PC parts. Android (and Windows) marketshare dominance is fueled by the fact that they can run on any manufacturers hardware out there. Which is the exact opposite of Apple, which is why Apples Mac lost all its marketshare to Windows, and Why Iphone is losing all its marketshare to Android, and so on and so forth. I dunno, it seems like the obvious sensible thing is to not **** where you eat. They would paint themselves into a corner pissing off Sony HTC and Samsung and sending those guys running to WP7. It wouldn't end well for Google and Android squeezing the lifeblood out of their OS by doing that. Seems like common sense to me. But everyone seems to be assuming they are going to give Moto all these perks and exclusive stuff to their own detriment, so maybe I'm the crazy one.

Yea I agree with you. That would be suicide for Google and its Android Operating System.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just to clarify, its fairly certain the upcoming nexus release is going to be Samsung, its name and supposed specs are already released
Google nexus prime
Android 4.0 ice cream sandwich
720p super AMOLED HD screen
4g lte capable
1.5 GHz dual core processor
Release date supposedly before the end of the year

However, I would hope Motorola does get their shot at the next nexus phone, it'd be nice to see what they'll bring to the table

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Just to clarify, its fairly certain the upcoming nexus release is going to be Samsung, its name and supposed specs are already released
Google nexus prime
Android 4.0 ice cream sandwich
720p super AMOLED HD screen
4g lte capable
1.5 GHz dual core processor
Release date supposedly before the end of the year

However, I would hope Motorola does get their shot at the next nexus phone, it'd be nice to see what they'll bring to the table

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Where did you get this info from. Last I read was that Google was looking at LG or HTC for the next Nexus.

Reaction score
With Google buying Motorola why would there even need to be any more nexus phones made? I thought the point about nexus was as a market test for Google.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums