Dollar Store Micro USB?

hawksurf

Reaction score
Hello all,

I found some Micro USB cables at the dollar store. Is there any risk in using these to charge my Incredible?

Thanks!
Hawksurf

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Third party chargers have known to make the Droid go crazy.

RichSmithSWM

Reaction score
I bought a mess of them at a dollar store to use with the HH Computers we have at work. Some worked, some didn't. We did find that the wires were resistive and were seeing a voltage drop of over a volt on some of them.

everstar80

Reaction score
I would go to a store like best buy or other stores that deal with phones specifically so that you know what you're getting and don't waist money on something that doesn't work. And sometimes you find where they have overstock in stuff like this you'll find a mark down.

Detonation

Reaction score
I would go to a store like best buy or other stores that deal with phones specifically so that you know what you're getting and don't waist money on something that doesn't work. And sometimes you find where they have overstock in stuff like this you'll find a mark down.

Terrible advice. Cables from stores like Best Buy are barely any different than the cheap ones you find online. But they mark the price up a ton because they can and people don't know any better. If you want good, cheap cables, get them at monoprice.com

everstar80

Reaction score

Terrible advice. Cables from stores like Best Buy are barely any different than the cheap ones you find online. But they mark the price up a ton because they can and people don't know any better. If you want good, cheap cables, get them at monoprice.com

I was saying what I would do personally, as the aforementioned companies I spoke of, you would more likely be able to speak to customer reps that know what you need. So tell me how that's terrible advice? Thought so.

Detonation

Reaction score

I was saying what I would do personally, as the aforementioned companies I spoke of, you would more likely be able to speak to customer reps that know what you need. So tell me how that's terrible advice? Thought so.

The customer reps just want to sell you their overpriced cables. You think they are going to tell you "just go buy the cheap generic cables at some other store, they are the same" when they can sell you a more expensive cable and get their commission?

VideoGameMatt

Reaction score
Around when i first got my droid i discovered a magical land called monoprice.com and on this site i found micro usb cables for about $3 for a 15 foot cable. Needless to say i ended up with a ton of cables and these cables are all i use now for anything. I have micros for my droid. Minis for any external thing that requires them and regular sized ones for other things. Trust me monoprice.com is the way to go if you need to get cheap cables. I've never had a problem with anything i've bought from there and i've bought quite a few things.

OP
H

hawksurf

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. If I do use the cheap cords, and don't immediately notice any changes, does that mean nothing is wrong?

Hawksurf

Laramie

Reaction score
If you need it in a hurry, I'd at least try and find one by Belkin, or other name brand. I lost my cord for my X in a recent move, and got one on clearance from Target for 10 bucks. Yes, I could have gotten it cheaper on monoprice, but I coudln't wait for shipping.

If you can get, just get the cheap ones from monoprice.

tbirover

Reaction score
So glad you asked, along that line…
I’m using GPS and switching to screen always on a lot (very useful little critter that Droid 2) drive 3 vehicles, at 2 work desks daily + multiple point of use at home. Toting the remote ‘office’ back and forth is bad enough, I’d would like to not have remember to pack up and carry at least one source of power around.
I’ve a collection of mini -> USB cables, car and power chargers from previous phone and Bluetooth etc. Including phone to PC w/some transformer or some?thingy or other. No clue what I was thinking about the VCast stuff and there was a time I lived on the phone, it’s quite a currently useless collection. Now I need micros and loathe to just toss the outdated $$$’s and start over.

Any known or presumed issues w/connector making the mini end a micro with the Droid 2?
All is Motorola OEM one thing or another and done some look/see at the charger issue. Not finding much info online re smartphone complexity particular to Droid 2 but best as I can understand, lower than designated stock output is slower in general. Can it be dangerous to the Droid 2? Is there a point it becomes so or not get anywhere at all and just generate heat and waste the highest electrical in the US?

One particularly appealing simple straightforward male/female adapter approx size of a SD disk w/no additional cable. But pricy for several from Radio Shack locally. No name I recognize and oddly the only one I’ve found, staff had no experience and took a while to figure out it even existed - with a sample. (Scary when I know more about something I don't know diddly about.)
Online not seeing that in first go round just cable w/connector, as noted pretty doggone cheap but price of Paradise is free shipping anywhere but HI and AK. (And soooo often 3xcost + another $20 in handling – it’s ridiculous.) Usually do well on Amazon, not sure what I’m getting tho for quality. A relative toss up on the adapters, unless I know who (say through Amazon.) Reading product reviews is like comments on apps, terrible to excellent w/no mention of specific output all to common.
I want quality and willing to pay for it but heck, the mini Car charger I got is not seeming due it’s price.
I’d really rather not burn up the Droid to learn – so much for that bright idea. Is there some guide lines (expressed in For Dummies format) to make choices?
Trade offs to be aware of? Adapters more trouble than $'s saved?
What is superior quality, reasonable, fine considering dirt cheap (disposable)? Can I make any and what mini things useful again?
Mahalo