Does wireless tether work on Froyo?

tu3218

Reaction score
I think I'm gonna go ahead and install this on my phone but I remember reading this didn't work. I was wondering if this is fixed now.

cyb3rtr0n

Reaction score
Im using BB 0.4, Fabolous' NExTheme for BB 0.4, Chevy 1.1 medv kernel

installed wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre2.apk, allowed root access when superuser poopup appeared.

when I click on "press to start tethering" I get the message "unable to start tethering, please try again"

Using Root Explorer, I browsed to /data/data/android.tether/bin and allowed permissions to read/write and execute for the tether file in that folder. long pressing on the file brings up a menu where permissions is an option.

now when I press "Press to start tethering" i get the message that it has started with errors. I check the show log and three things have failed.
1. setting ad-hoc mode failed
2. setting essid failed
3. setting channel failed.

but it does say tether is currently running, and I get the wifi connection on my laptop

Initially I made this post saying it wasnt working. but after I gave permission to the files above, I fixed my problem. even with the fails in the show log I can connect to the android wifi and get a up and down stream.

Last edited:

jkhouw1

Reaction score
I've tried both wireless_tether_2_0_5-pre2.apk, and wireless_tether_2_0_2.apk running Bugless Beast V0.4 Android 2.2 FRF84B but am unable to get wireless tether to work. It starts with no errors on phone, the laptop is able to connect to it using code (and shows connected), but the laptop reports no internet access.

The droid has inet access (tested opening phone browser).
the droid shows laptop connected to wireless tether as authorized client.

Am I missing something stupidly simple? I had this working with pre-froyo bugless builds but can't seem to get this work now...

tia

continental

Reaction score
I have the same problem as Tia. I start wireless tether with no errors other devices connect and i allow access control, but when i try to use the internet in other devices connected to droid phone i get no internet.

FYI running p3 kernel 1250 and wireless tether 2.0.5 pre2. Anything more i should be running or missing.

Thanks

ALonso

ckamc

Reaction score
bb 0.4, nextheme, p3 124-800mhz kernal. had a problem in the past .2.1 froyo with the pre2 version i got off google site. would not work, the i downloaded the version listed in market and it worked fine.

check your permissions, i know thats part of it

SwinePunk

Reaction score
Continental,

I am having the same issues, did you find a fix?

bekyndnunwind

Reaction score
I am having the same issues as continental. I am currently using Chevy's 1.0 LV kernel, and wondering if the low voltage is causing the issue.

Frustrating, because it appears everything is working and connected, but I cannot get any webpages to load on the PC...