Does using a custome ROM make scroling menus/browsing the net lag free? Like Iphone

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
Like everyone has said already... two different UIs. They each have their preference. It's just a decision that Google made about the UI. Personally, it makes no difference to me either way. As far as a work around, there's none that I know of. One cat. Two different skinning techniques, that's all. Not a big deal. Just get used to it.

Why would you WANT that as a feature tho.

What possible advantage is there to having laggy/fritchiony environment

What possible disadvantages are there? If that is what you are referring to, I can't say that it makes any difference one way or the other, as they both work fine. This is enlightening to know what you are referring to though, because I use an iPhone 3GS every day for work and my Droid personally, and I find the Droid to be quicker usually, especially when overclocked and an overall better experience.

Now that you mention how it does scrolling and moving icons, I can see exactly what you're talking about. Where I notice it mainly is in the contacts screen as I scroll through my contacts. Nonetheless, I am not at all bothered by it, and it isn't something that "feels" sluggish to me, it just feels different.

It is interesting you mention the contacts screen because that is where I feel the least amount of lag/friction. It feels very close to my ipodtouch contacts.

demon69120

Reaction score
Anyone saying that OCing and installing a custom 2.1 ROM saying it's as smooth as the iPhone either has never used an iPhone or is a liar.

Yeah I have an iPod Touch and scrolling/zoom is smooth as hell. I just got the Droid a weak ago, tweaked it up, OC to 1.1 GHz, and installed the latest Ultimate Droid 7.5.

Pinch zoom and scrolling is still very clunky. Better than stock but not nearly as smooth as iPhone AT ALL. Good thing that everything else in the Droid owns the iPhone up... but still iPod Touches and iPhones murder Droids at smooth scrolling.

devildog9999

Reaction score
<Troll> If you really like the Iphone so much better, go back and get one. The trolling the last few days has quite honestly become obtrusive, and counter productive. Hopefully a Mod will lock this up soon. </Troll>

chumba8

Reaction score
I have 2 iphones and havent used one ever since i bought the droid I now have ultimate droid 7.5 and its even faster and smoother but even A BONE STOCK DROID isnt THAT bad or diffrent from the iphone maybe you have a bad droid it happens my last droid didnt like OC and was a bit laggy but still just as good as the iphone

WUSS

Reaction score
Xythil (and everyone else)

I think there are 2 main elements that everyone keeps referring to as "friction" or "lag" that needs to be straightened out.

One is a common term interface designers, especially people who make interface's that have a lot of axis movement, usually referred to as "inertia". Inertia recreates an organic feel to elements like drawers, slides, etc. by not instantly opening and closing gui elements.

Instead, they accelerate, hit max speed, then decelerate. Much like you would do opening a kitchen drawer. You don't slam it open, then slam it shut. iPhone does not implement inertia quite to the exxageration that Android does in many of it's components.

Secondly is framerate. I believe what you interpret as "laggy" is not literally the phone not having enough processor power to execute simple GUI animations, but rather the way the OS was designed.

I don't know if a test has ever been run on the different framerates iphone and android are designed to operate at (talking OS here, not video, or games, etc.), but I used to do A LOT of flash animation, and if I had to take an educated guess, I would say iPhone OS runs at about 50-60 fps for it's gui elements, and Android runs more about half that (30 fps) or so.

I too was an iPhone owner, and I know exactly what you're talking about. The framerate on iPhone OS is much higher which simulates a "smoother" navigating experience. And yes, part of the reason why the droid or any android phone won't ever see that smoothness is largely due to it's ability to multitask, and even at low usage, always has a handful of apps open. iPhone can dedicate all of it's CPU power to the simple task of keeping that high fps rate up for that delicious GUI feel you keep drooling over.

I've had a rooted Android phone for almost 2 years now (started with the G1) after selling my iPhone, and I haven't looked back. G1 had Cyanogen w/ OC and Droid runs black/ultimate droid w/ 1ghz OC and what you're looking for doesn't exist.

HOWEVER, I will say, the closest I ever got to simulating the smooth transitions of the iPhone as far as just the GUI elements was to download Spareparts, and simply speed up the transition speeds. Try it, i think you'll know what I mean when you see it.

For the final record, interface - transitions - will -never - be - as - smooth - as - the - iphone - period. It's been mentioned many times already, but that's not where Android's emphasis is. It all depends on your priorities. If you're happy with the app store and the iphone gui, stay with your iphone. If you want multi tasking, open source, and crazy hackability all on the most reliable data and voice network in america, stay with Droid. Neither phone is perfect, pick your poison and live with it.

Last edited: