Does using a custome ROM make scroling menus/browsing the net lag free? Like Iphone

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
TBH, I just do not see this guy ever being happy. He has had a droid less than a day and has already rooted it, flashed it at least twice, and posted 54 times with nothing but complaints and questions over and over. Everyone is TRYING to help him and point him in the right direction, but he just does not sdeem to want to take the time to READ and learn... not trying to be a dick to the OP, but really? Take some TIME and read and learn. One day is just not enough time to digest all of the content you need to.

That is a bit unfair.

The screen resolution is AMAZING.
The colors are vibrant.

Infact looking back at my safari browser on my ipod touch it looks like an SDTV compared to my new bravia 40inch.

I love the droid system. It is more PC like, and less limited. I love notifications, and i Love running things simataniously.

I am not downing this product. It is a quality phone.

However the weight is a bit much for me, I find my hands getting tired. And the loss of the snap still kind of irks me... but I guess I didn't realize just how much difference there was in resolution.

I am just trying to find the best phone for me guys. While it is not a fortune, it is a lot of money, and I want to get something I will be happy with.

I think I might return this and look into a Nexus One when they hit later this month.

But really I am not trying to troll or upset the community. I truly appreciate all the help I have been given here. Last night was just very frustrating trying to figure out how to ROOT my phone.

dro

Reaction score
Install droidmod 1.0 with milestone browser and all of your lag will be gone. I am scrolling this forum faster and smoother than an iphone, whereas before it was absolutely unbearable. The nexus one is lol right now, the soft keys are way out of alignment and the multi touch is nearly useless. The weight will grow on you, I personally love it. I thought it was a little too heavy at first too, but that is just quality. I love the sturdy feel and wouldn't trade it for anything. Of course rooting is hard if you have owned the phone for one day, that is obviously an advanced operation. Besides, there are programs that do it all for you! You just click a damn button and it will root your phone then download and flash a rom - no thought required. Trust me though, try out the milestone browser if you have not yet. I would strongly suggest using droidmod for ease of use as well.

http://forum.droidmod.org/index.php/topic,73.0.html
^This will do everything that I just said in about 5 minutes flat, aside from the file downloads. A five year old could flash roms with this, easy as pie.

Last edited:
OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
Install droidmod 1.0 with milestone browser and all of your lag will be gone. I am scrolling this forum faster and smoother than an iphone, whereas before it was absolutely unbearable. The nexus one is lol right now, the soft keys are way out of alignment and the multi touch is nearly useless.

Where do I get milestone browser? I am currently running blackandroid7

Tristor

Reaction score
OCing will help, but honestly I have no lag even with stock ROM or stock kernel on Ultimate Droid 6.5.2 or 7.0. I don't know what this lag is you're seeing, because everything is crisp, snappy, and pretty much instantaneous. After I overclock I'm getting benchmarks in SetCPU of like 115-120ms consistently, compared to 300ish stock.

If you're really having serious problems, use the Droid Verizon 2.0.1 sbf and do full recovery back to stock, then take your phone in and get it exchanged, you could have a messed up handset or something. I've never seen any of the issues you've mentioned on my Droid and I've been hammering the hell out of it nonstop since I got it (not my first smartphone rodeo).

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I honestly think you screwed yourself by not spending a week to get familiar with the phone before messing with it. You deprived yourself a baseline performance measure, and you have no idea how the phone operates under normal circumstances...

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
OCing will help, but honestly I have no lag even with stock ROM or stock kernel on Ultimate Droid 6.5.2 or 7.0. I don't know what this lag is you're seeing, because everything is crisp, snappy, and pretty much instantaneous. After I overclock I'm getting benchmarks in SetCPU of like 115-120ms consistently, compared to 300ish stock.

If you're really having serious problems, use the Droid Verizon 2.0.1 sbf and do full recovery back to stock, then take your phone in and get it exchanged, you could have a messed up handset or something. I've never seen any of the issues you've mentioned on my Droid and I've been hammering the hell out of it nonstop since I got it (not my first smartphone rodeo).

Ill try to post a video later tonight but basically when I flick a page on my ipod touch browser it snaps instantly, and glides beautifully

Conversely on the droid it stutters/lags just a TINY bit. Not ridiculously bad, just not as snappy as the ipod touchs browser

Mind you this is on fully loaded sites.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I think you definitely need to post a video. I got rid of my iPhone 3G and this "snappy" that you keep referring to is in your mind. There were times when my iPhone would stutter big time. I actually feel as though my Droid stutters less often across the board.

And as far as browsing, what you're probably experiencing is a delay caused by the interaction of the given website with the Android browser. Some websites give the iPhone fits while the Droid is just fine, and vice versa.

But seriously, post a vid of your problems or else I'm thinking you're posting BS fueled by FUD.

EDIT: Come to think of it I'm calling BS. There is NO WAY you can call the Droid "sluggish" compared to an iPhone of ANY flavor. My GF has the 3GS, and I used the 3G for 10 months... I know the iPhone. The Droid is far from "sluggish" in comparison.

Last edited:
OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
I think you definitely need to post a video. I got rid of my iPhone 3G and this "snappy" that you keep referring to is in your mind. There were times when my iPhone would stutter big time. I actually feel as though my Droid stutters less often across the board.

And as far as browsing, what you're probably experiencing is a delay caused by the interaction of the given website with the Android browser. Some websites give the iPhone fits while the Droid is just fine, and vice versa.

But seriously, post a vid of your problems or else I'm thinking you're posting BS fueled by FUD.

EDIT: Come to think of it I'm calling BS. There is NO WAY you can call the Droid "sluggish" compared to an iPhone of ANY flavor. My GF has the 3GS, and I used the 3G for 10 months... I know the iPhone. The Droid is far from "sluggish" in comparison.

Again it is not really sluggish. It is delayed.

I feel like I am brushing air when I move around the iphone OS interface.

On the droid it feels like there is WAY more friction.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

They're different phones. If you want it to feel like an iPhone, then get an iPhone.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL

Ohhhhhh. Key word "friction", now I know what you're talking about. That "delayed" feel you're talking about is built in. It's the physics of the scrolling/swiping gesture. If you notice, the speed of the objects on the screen increases to the maximum then slows down as the object reaches it's destination as you move your finger. Kind of like the screen or object is on a spring connected to your finger, it gives a kind of momentum feel to your gesture. In contrast, the iPhone attempts to keep the screen/object directly tied to the point of contact.

If anyone is wondering what I'm talking about... select an icon on your screen, and long-press it so that you can move it around. As you slide your finger around you'll see the icon trail behind your finger. Then, when you stop moving your finger you'll see the icon slide under your finger and come to a stop. That's what he's talking about.

That's built in, Homie. That's the "feel" of the UI, not a processor issue.

Last edited:
OP
X

xythil

Reaction score

Ohhhhhh. Key word "friction", now I know what you're talking about. That "delayed" feel you're talking about is built in. It's the physics of the scrolling/swiping gesture. If you notice, the speed of the objects on the screen increases to the maximum then slows down as the screen reaches it's destination as you move your finger. Kind of like the screen or object is on a spring connected to your finger, it gives a kind of momentum feel to your gesture. In contrast, the iPhone attempts to keep the screen/object directly tied to the point of contact.

If anyone is wondering what I'm talking about... select an icon on your screen, and long-press it so that you can move it around. As you slide your finger around you'll see the icon trail behind your finger. Then, when you stop moving your finger you'll see the icon slide under your finger and come to a stop. That's what he's talking about.

That's built in, Homie. That's the "feel" of the UI, not a processor issue.

Why would they do this? Thanks so much for enlightening me. Is there a work around? Thats a great ay to put it. When I grab icons with my finger on my ipod touch they follow my movements without trailing behind. On the droid they trail

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Like everyone has said already... two different UIs. They each have their preference. It's just a decision that Google made about the UI. Personally, it makes no difference to me either way. As far as a work around, there's none that I know of. One cat. Two different skinning techniques, that's all. Not a big deal. Just get used to it.

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
Like everyone has said already... two different UIs. They each have their preference. It's just a decision that Google made about the UI. Personally, it makes no difference to me either way. As far as a work around, there's none that I know of. One cat. Two different skinning techniques, that's all. Not a big deal. Just get used to it.

Why would you WANT that as a feature tho.

What possible advantage is there to having laggy/fritchiony environment

Tristor

Reaction score

Why would you WANT that as a feature tho.

What possible advantage is there to having laggy/fritchiony environment

What possible disadvantages are there? If that is what you are referring to, I can't say that it makes any difference one way or the other, as they both work fine. This is enlightening to know what you are referring to though, because I use an iPhone 3GS every day for work and my Droid personally, and I find the Droid to be quicker usually, especially when overclocked and an overall better experience.

Now that you mention how it does scrolling and moving icons, I can see exactly what you're talking about. Where I notice it mainly is in the contacts screen as I scroll through my contacts. Nonetheless, I am not at all bothered by it, and it isn't something that "feels" sluggish to me, it just feels different.