Does using a custome ROM make scroling menus/browsing the net lag free? Like Iphone

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Apple devices can't multi-task, so the browser gets ALL the attention from the CPU when using it... you'll never get that with the Droid, or any multi-tasking capable device.
Personally I see this as a great limitation of iPhone/iPod.... not something to look for in other devices :)

Tristor

Reaction score
Nothing can make "browsing the net lag free", and it's not lag free on the iPhone either. In fact, the Droid (on Verizon) tends to be faster browsing than the iPhone (on AT&T) because AT&T has a horribly ****ty network run by cheap greedy bastards.

The majority of changes in this ROM are the bring Android 2.1 features to the Droid as well as to bring in features made on Android phones from other major vendors (HTC Sense UI, Nexus One Gallery, etc.) and with compatible overclock kernels you will see some performance benefits on this ROM compared to the stock ROM. That's the majority, beyond that, it's primarily UI/Theme changes.

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
Nothing can make "browsing the net lag free", and it's not lag free on the iPhone either. In fact, the Droid (on Verizon) tends to be faster browsing than the iPhone (on AT&T) because AT&T has a horribly ****ty network run by cheap greedy bastards.

The majority of changes in this ROM are the bring Android 2.1 features to the Droid as well as to bring in features made on Android phones from other major vendors (HTC Sense UI, Nexus One Gallery, etc.) and with compatible overclock kernels you will see some performance benefits on this ROM compared to the stock ROM. That's the majority, beyond that, it's primarily UI/Theme changes.

Fully loaded pages. I am not talking about surfing. I am talking about moving aroudn fully loaded pages. On the iphone it is crsiper with 0 stutter, 0 lag, you move and it moves with you

On the droid it lags behind just enough to be annoying. Especially when you are trying to scroll through a page quickly

Joel

Reaction score
I am running koush at 600 and I can zoom in and out, put my finger on the screen and spin it around while the screen follows it exactly. 5 services and 10 Alps running right now. I don't get the lag issue, but I went to a 2.0.1 and then 2.1 rom right after I got the Droid.

Aero320

Reaction score
xythil:

I stood in line the first weekend when the orignal iPhones were introduced and later, purchased the iPhone 3g and iPhone 3GS. I switched to Verizon because of the better 3G coverage (and because I was using one of AT&T's partner towers too much and they did not want customers like me).

The weak link on the iPhone is not the phone itself but the limited 3G coverage it has. Even when you are in a 3G area with the iPhone, the battery life is dismal. It has taken a little time to get used to the Android operating system ... my phone does not exhibit any of the slowness that you describe. I am running Ultimate Droid 5.5.2 and do not have the phone overclocked.

Battery life is excellent (I am almost always on 3G and rarely ever use wifi anymore).

I am a Mac guy and do miss the connectivity part of Mobile Me, but I am getting used to it. By the way the sound from the Droid speakers is MUCH better than the iPhone, an accessories are cheaper.

chumba8

Reaction score
I camped out overnight to get an orignal iphone payed 599+ 2 extras + all the tas and bs and I did love it at the time a lot of the guys are right Verizon is way better cust service is bettter 3g is just as if not faster where i live my droid is now running blackdroids 7.0 and my phone is stupid fast and has NO lag maps is soooo fast pinch is just asa good oon web and maps I couldnt ask for more ( i can all i want is the 3d launcher and launcher buttons back but I want a lot of stuff lol) and the droid is open sorce making it possible for people to do what they have been doing APPLE wouldnt stand for that

chumba8

Reaction score
lol sorry I guess i just hate peroids lol ...... it slows my typing way down if I have to think about punuation sp? lol see i can hardly spell :p jk
:motdroidhoriz:
All I can say is I loved the iPhone yes at ONE point so i know where your coming from the DROID SMASHES the iphone in every way and with 6.5 OCed to 1100 mhz my phone flys 11s on linpack and i got a short bench yesterday of 111 thats fast also I havent had any lag in the the droid since 2.1 2.0 or 2.0.1 i really didnt like i agree and YES The Black Droid's roms are a bit smoother then the rest Petes i hear are good but only used the blackdroid roms since like 3.0 lol and its for a reason

Here ...............

You obviously ran out of periods on your computer/phone so I figured I'd donate a few. :icon_ banana:

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Regarding OP, I don't see any difference from non-root except coming out of sleep as I underclock down to 250

Tristor

Reaction score

Fully loaded pages. I am not talking about surfing. I am talking about moving aroudn fully loaded pages. On the iphone it is crsiper with 0 stutter, 0 lag, you move and it moves with you

On the droid it lags behind just enough to be annoying. Especially when you are trying to scroll through a page quickly

In that case, no there is not any lag. In fact... I didn't have any lag with the stock ROM. I will say that once you root, flash recovery, and flash over a decent custom ROM (Ultimate Droid, Simply Stunning, Smoked Glass, and Bugless Beast are all recommended) with an overclocking kernel, everything is extremely fast. All you really need to know in the Droid vs iPhone 3GS comparison is that with a Droid flashed with custom ROM + OC Kernel you can end up with a phone running at twice the raw speed, which makes any speed loss from background apps negligible to nonexistent. The actual hardware in both phones for CPU/SoC is the same (OMAP3), so the Droid has a huge advantage over the iPhone there.

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score
I have to say. I updated to DroidMod 7 and honestly the lag is still there in the browsers and menus.

Things just arnt instant. Mind you I am again talking about fully loaded things.

I will try to post a video to show what I am talknig about.

Basically when I scroll it feels like it is skiping a few frames, it doesnt feel fluid like my itouch safari browser.

I havnt overclocked yet. Maybe that will fix it.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to say. I updated to DroidMod 7 and honestly the lag is still there in the browsers and menus.

Things just arnt instant. Mind you I am again talking about fully loaded things.

Basically when I scroll it feels like it is skiping a few frames, it doesnt feel fluid like my itouch safari browser.

I'm concerned that you'll never be happy... The Droid is not the iPhone/iTouch. Things will be different. Just how it goes.

Overclocking should help a bit, but just keep in mind that the iPhone/iTouch makes itself so snappy because it's got a lower quality resolution to render and doesnt handle multiple apps at once.

Just remember they're two different beasts.

OP
X

xythil

Reaction score

I'm concerned that you'll never be happy... The Droid is not the iPhone/iTouch. Things will be different. Just how it goes.

Overclocking should help a bit, but just keep in mind that the iPhone/iTouch makes itself so snappy because it's got a lower quality resolution to render and doesnt handle multiple apps at once.

Just remember they're two different beasts.

Is it the resolution that makes it seem like it is lagging then? Maybe that is what I am picking up on.

Honestly i am NO fan of apple. I would never use a Mac. But that word sums it up perfectly.

The Iphone OS Snaps.. it is SNAPPY. It reacts instantly

and going from that to the more sluggish driod is frustrating.

Maybe the nexus one will be improved?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Iphone OS Snaps.. it is SNAPPY. It reacts instantly

Again, it's snappy because Apple chose snap over functionality. Just what makes the iPhone the iPhone.

The resolution on the Droid is literally double that of the iPhone, using the same type of processor and speed. This is where the snap comes from. Video games running in standard definition dont tax the processor nearly as much as video games in HD -- it's the same concept.

Try OCing -- I have mine at 800 and I love it. Some people push theirs farther, but I dont really find the need.

devildog9999

Reaction score
TBH, I just do not see this guy ever being happy. He has had a droid less than a day and has already rooted it, flashed it at least twice, and posted 54 times with nothing but complaints and questions over and over. Everyone is TRYING to help him and point him in the right direction, but he just does not sdeem to want to take the time to READ and learn... not trying to be a dick to the OP, but really? Take some TIME and read and learn. One day is just not enough time to digest all of the content you need to.

dro

Reaction score
I am a noob with flashing roms so I just did the Droidmod thing last night. I can not speak for this rom, but my lag is completely gone. Before, scrolling on this forum was absolutely unbearable, worst lag I ever encountered on the phone. Now, with the milestone browser and Droidmod, it flows better than an iphone. Tested this at 800 and 1000 mhz, both smooth as butter. The problem is with the stock browser imo, it renders too much while you are scrolling and zooming. The milestone browser cuts ALL the crap when you start scrolling, and creates a seamless experience. I even tried xscope after flashing this rom, but the milestone browser shut it down completely in terms of smooth scrolling.

I would love to see a video comparison of the stock browser lag vs milestone butterness, maybe I will do one later.

Edit: iphone adds here? wtffffff

Last edited: