Does Thunderbolt come with SIM card

royolpunk

Reaction score
The Title is a bit misleading, so read this carefully.
I'm buying a Thunderbolt from someone off contract.
However, does he need to ship the SIM card? or does he ship it with no SIM card, then I take it to the VZ store and they give me one? or what? thanks, I just don't want to screw anything up.

Also, if you guys have an opinion how is Google Voice for texting. I'm going to be getting rid of my texting plan to cut down on my bill.

MrKleen

Reaction score
I purchased my Thunderbolt from Best Buy and had to purchase the sim card separately. I think it was $19.

robdec17

Reaction score
I purchased my Thunderbolt from Best Buy and had to purchase the sim card separately. I think it was $19.

Your kidding .. Thats not right! It's included with the phone. You should not have been charged for it.

mkjellgren

Reaction score

You got taken for a ride then...I also purchased mine at best buy, first think they did was pop a sim card in it...

To answer the original question, yes, the tbolt requires a sim to work (not just for 4g, the phone won't work at all without it, 3g included). If I'm reading your question right however, I dont think that's what you're asking. The way I read it, you're wondering, since you are purchasing it from "a guy" and not from a store whether or not you will need your own sim for your account or whether the sim that came with his tbolt will work on your line. Basically, if the tbolt has not yet been activated, the sim that is included will be identical to one you would get were you to have one put in at the VZW store. You'll need to go into the store and have them activate it for you. If the included sim has been activated previously on the other hand, you will need a new sim as that sim has already been associated with a phone number. I hope I understood that correctly...

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

MrKleen

Reaction score

You got taken for a ride then...I also purchased mine at best buy, first think they did was pop a sim card in it...

To answer the original question, yes, the tbolt requires a sim to work (not just for 4g, the phone won't work at all without it, 3g included). If I'm reading your question right however, I dont think that's what you're asking. The way I read it, you're wondering, since you are purchasing it from "a guy" and not from a store whether or not you will need your own sim for your account or whether the sim that came with his tbolt will work on your line. Basically, if the tbolt has not yet been activated, the sim that is included will be identical to one you would get were you to have one put in at the VZW store. You'll need to go into the store and have them activate it for you. If the included sim has been activated previously on the other hand, you will need a new sim as that sim has already been associated with a phone number. I hope I understood that correctly...

How much did you pay for your phone at Best buy? I will go back and get it refunded... I paid $599 for mine. ( full price )

mkjellgren

Reaction score
I signed a new contract. It was $249 on contract, same as in the VZW store...

MrKleen

Reaction score
Maybe its because I did not do it on contract and had to pay full price.

Thanks.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
The T-Bolt comes with the SIM Card, Won't work without it. I have heard of this happening at best buy over on HTC Thunderbolt Forum. You need to put your foot down, they must be thinking that the sim card is an add on, and it isn't. See a manager. Have them call a VZW store to verify.

OP
R

royolpunk

Reaction score

THis was what i was asking. He activated it w// a sim but doesnt want the tb anymore so hes giving it to me. So i need to take the tb to a vz store and have them give me a new sim?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

mkjellgren

Reaction score
Yes. You need to get a sim activated on your account. As it sounds, it'll cost you $20. Each sim is exclusive to a persons individual number, just like on gsm networks. If you get a new phone, pop the sim in and its activated on your number...I understand the confusion though. Cdma networks do things completely differently, LTE, though is different.

Last edited: