Does 2.1 fix landscape on-screen keyboard issue

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
In 2.0, the on-screen keyboard doesn't work in landscape mode (at least not on the home screen). That's really the only bug I care much about. Is it fixed in 2.1?

Vitticeps

Reaction score
No. Nothing about the homescreen works in landscape unless you pop out the physical keyboard and of course that means no on screen keyboard.

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
No. Nothing about the homescreen works in landscape unless you pop out the physical keyboard and of course that means no on screen keyboard.

That's a disappointment. I was waiting for 2.1 with the belief that stuff like this would get fixed. I can find apps for lots of things but apps can't fix core bugs like that.:mad:

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I'm not sure thats a bug. What will you type on the homescreen?

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
I'm not sure thats a bug. What will you type on the homescreen?

I could/would type in the quick search box. But trying it again just now, I realized it's worse than I remembered: the home screen is always portrait unless I pop out the keyboard. If you were right and there's nothing to type on the home screen, why does it only go landscape if the keyboard is out?

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Because by default, thats how the launcher is coded. Its a setting in the xml file in the apk.

You need to understand that the phone is built with a hardware keyboard, and as such, the OS has been setup to use that, primarily.

Tomoid

Reaction score
If you download the free app from the market called Helix Launcher it allows the home screens to be used in landscape as well as giving you a lot of other features such as up to 7 screens. And no root needed.

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
Because by default, thats how the launcher is coded. Its a setting in the xml file in the apk.

So, is the an XML file in my phone that I can tweak to fix this?

You need to understand that the phone is built with a hardware keyboard, and as such, the OS has been setup to use that, primarily.

But they fixed it for portrait? That doesn't really make any sense.

(BTW, I have an MS in CSci and 25+ years experience developing for everything from mainframes to embedded Linux; I'm certainly aware of system constraints and limitations. A feature that works in portrait but not landscape is buggy.)

OP
C

Chris.Nelson

Reaction score
If you download the free app from the market called Helix Launcher it allows the home screens to be used in landscape as well as giving you a lot of other features such as up to 7 screens. And no root needed.

Thanks. I'll try that. I also note that with the DockRunning app running the landscape screen almost works (that app seems to force landscape and I can page left and right and get the on-screen keyboard to work in the search box). It doesn't flip between landscape and portrait, though.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
It is not a bug, it is designed to not rotate unless the keyboard is out while on the home screen(s). As stated above just get helix launcher if you really want it to do this. I have helix, and I turned off that feature as it is really annoying to me.

edthesped

Reaction score

+1 For Helix...

BurtB

Reaction score
There are threads from way last November where many complained about the home screen not rotating after a day or so. Example: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...ndscape-desktop-without-opening-keyboard.html

Thats what happened to me - home would auto rotate initiallly then not after a day of use.

Those of us that posted about this were told that we were delusional - the home screen NEVER rotated without the keyboard out, and that this is a "feature" of the Droid.

FWIW I believe some one posted pics or maybe a video of his home screen rotating sans keyboard.

My 2 cents.

dylanthecat

Reaction score
As you stated there are many threads on this, but was there actually a video? I know I wanted to see one. I actually posted a photo to shown how you could quickly shut the keyboard and then snap a photo before the screen went back to portrait, to make it look like your phone did rotate in landscape. No need to debate this again though, just curious about the video.