Dock app turning off display?

Aanorn

Reaction score
Last night I put my phone into its dock and the screen shut off as soon as the clock popped up. I tried to turn it back on and it wouldn't respond. If I held the power button in a little longer I finally got the silence/airplane mode/shutdown window to pop up, when I hit home or back buttons the screen shuts back off. When I removed it from the dock it comes back on no problems. This morning I installed dockrunner to see how it responds and the screen shut off again...I thought I was in trouble when I couldn't get it back on turn the dock app off. I finally figured out that when I got the silence/airplane mode window up I could hold in home and switch to another app long enough to open notifications and turn off the dock app from there.

So, any ideas why the dock app is turning the display off?

And yes luckily my alarm did still go off this morning but with no screen I couldn't turn it off until I removed the phone from the dock lol.

edit: oh, I guess I should have put this in the tech/bugs thread? I saw accessories and just went here because its related to the dock oops

BertramEvans

Reaction score
Try: Press Menu button(at bottom of screen) - then Settings - then Applications - then Development - then Stay Awake (screen will never sleep while charging). This should keep the phone from turning off when you dock it in the cradle.

joeyspindler

Reaction score
Wow, I totally noticed the same problem this morning. I have been using my dock for over a week and it hasn't ever done this before. The only thing i could come up with is that i received my Android Update yesterday and i figured that was the reason.

OP
A

Aanorn

Reaction score
I should have mentioned I did already enable "stay awake while charging". I went looking for that this morning once I got control back. It worked fine before without that on. Its not simply timing out, it shuts off immediately. Glad to hear I'm not alone. I couldn't find any other mentions of this. I considered the update as well, but I updated mine at 1am the previous night before bed and it worked that night.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This has been an ongoing issue with me since I got my Droid and Dock in November. At first I thought I was the only person having this problem but now I'm finally seeing others with the problem...not that it's a good thing at all, however maybe they'll figure out how to fix this problem. One night I went as far as doing a factory reset of my phone. The main motivation for getting the dock was to use it at night on the nightstand like I did with my Storm. It's hit or miss with the Droid for some reason.

OP
A

Aanorn

Reaction score
Well to save you the trouble, I DID do the factory reset. The one under the privacy section of settings and also the hard reset one where you hold 'X' while powering it up. In either case it still acts the same way. What ever changed in the phone isn't something that gets rewritten on a reset. As far as that goes, I was impressed how the phone fixed my contacts and reinstalled all my apps shortly after the reset. All I had to fix were my desktop icons. I was going to go into the verizon store today to ask them about the issue but the place was packed and I don't have high hopes of store employees resolving the issue unless they just gave me a brand new phone without a hassle :D The only thing I haven't tried is unstalling every app I have on my phone. Technically they weren't installed just after I reset it and tried the dock out but somewhere in there it did reinstall them.

OP
A

Aanorn

Reaction score
Ok, I have my dock clock working again. Found a thread on the motorola forum from november (pre update) of people with this issue. One of the last posters said he reset his phone but did not sign in to gmail, and thereby did no sync his phone and reinstall any apps and his worked. He never came back and said if he found which app was the issue. So what I did was...

1. uninstall every app my phone had until the list was blank
2. reset my phone, skipping the gmail sign in
3. docked my phone and it worked!
4. signed in to gmail, it synced my contacts, but since i uninstalled my apps my list is stll blank
5. dock app still working!

So now I'm only going to install one or 2 apps a day and check my dock after each on, maybe even reboot the phone each time until I find one that blanks out my display while docked. If such a thing happens I'll post what it was on both forums.

btw, here's a list of apps I have if anyone else has the problem and wants to cross reference.

astro file manager
compass (snaptic)
countdown widget (mbaird)
google goggles
google skymap
imagine multitouch (softwareforme.com)
mini info (dynotes)
movies (flixster)
pandora
phonemypc
the weather channel
tv guide usa (jersey productions)
unit converter (mathpad software)
video player (jeff hamilton)
ak notepad

also have visual voicemail update and google map update installed, those are apparently safe

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok, I have my dock clock working again. Found a thread on the motorola forum from november (pre update) of people with this issue. One of the last posters said he reset his phone but did not sign in to gmail, and thereby did no sync his phone and reinstall any apps and his worked. He never came back and said if he found which app was the issue. So what I did was...

1. uninstall every app my phone had until the list was blank
2. reset my phone, skipping the gmail sign in
3. docked my phone and it worked!
4. signed in to gmail, it synced my contacts, but since i uninstalled my apps my list is stll blank
5. dock app still working!

So now I'm only going to install one or 2 apps a day and check my dock after each on, maybe even reboot the phone each time until I find one that blanks out my display while docked. If such a thing happens I'll post what it was on both forums.

btw, here's a list of apps I have if anyone else has the problem and wants to cross reference.

astro file manager
compass (snaptic)
countdown widget (mbaird)
google goggles
google skymap
imagine multitouch (softwareforme.com)
mini info (dynotes)
movies (flixster)
pandora
phonemypc
the weather channel
tv guide usa (jersey productions)
unit converter (mathpad software)
video player (jeff hamilton)
ak notepad

also have visual voicemail update and google map update installed, those are apparently safe
Just to save you some time - since you just did a factory reset, why not just go ahead and reinstall all the apps and if it doesn't happen, then you saved yourself a few days - however if it doesn't work, delete the apps again and then go with plan B which would be install 2 per day.

The reason I bring this up is when I had the problem I did that same thing but reinstalled everything and it worked. I probably added 15 or 20 new apps over the weekend and the phone in the dock is still working (knock on wood).

OP
A

Aanorn

Reaction score
LOL, that's not a bad idea. The guy on the motorola forum responded and said he's got all but one back on and no trouble. Now that I think of it there are like 10 other apps I tried out that I uninstalled, any of them could have done it. Or just a weird glitch who knows. Thanks!

bronk33

Reaction score
This was happening to me. Do you guys have the unlock pattern turned on?
I turned mine off...and the dock works find now.

bronk33

Reaction score
Confirmed...turned unlock pattern on, and screen turns off in dock.
Sorry you guys had to delete all of your apps :-(