Do You Think Verizon Should Be Able to Edit the Internet Before You Access It?

David Reed

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Stupid,dumb,LG flip phone.
We pay them for a pipeline to the internet, not to be censored. Verizon has no right to tell us what we can and can not see on the internet. This is no different from folks trying to ban books from the library because it does not fit with their world view. It is not Verizon's place to prevent folks from seeing what is out there. If Verizon feels that this is a service that is of value to the public and that there is a market for it, then they should offer it as a distinct product offering. I wonder how many customers they would get...

Although I AGREE completely with you, I will split hairs here........

The internet
vs
the www.?????????

Most of us DO refer to it as "the internet", but that is not really true.
The "internet" was developed as a tool of the military/security services of the US.
The "www.?" was an offshoot for commercial purposes that morphed into the public use we know today.

So, that aside, your point is well taken and agreed upon. Censorship is not to be tolerated. If I agree to it UP FRONT, FINE.
I didn't, won't and don't plan to.
I will vote with my feet, if a provider offers me a better option.

Can you spell "Chick-fil-A"?

David B. Reed, Sr.
Springfield, Missouri 65802
A hard-headed, 58+ year old, die-hard, freedom-loving, Constitutional governance, fire-breathing advocate. And, if you don't like that, you can kiss my grits!!!

androidify

Reaction score
If they do this i will drop them so quick and then tell them to stick my early termination fee where the sun doesn't shine! Completely ridiculous! If you are in favor your just as bad as them! Censorship of the internet is complete crap!

jaybogg

Reaction score
Most of us DO refer to it as "the internet", but that is not really true.
The "internet" was developed as a tool of the military/security services of the US.
The "www.?" was an offshoot for commercial purposes that morphed into the public use we know today.

:icon_eek:I always thought Al Gore invented "the internet":biggrin:

ntrddragn

Reaction score
censorship is censorship no matter the reason. its seems more and more big corps and govt thinks we the people are dumb and we are to dumb to think. they want to think for us and the unfortunate thing is most people just roll over and say thanks, i dont want to think anymore. this is just chipping away at our freedom and rights. a little chip here a little chip there, we wont see it until its too late.

Cooly1911

Reaction score
WTH is wrong with the verizon idiots? They raise the "control freak" bar right past the damn stupid mark!! This is still America!

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
My answer is HELL NO!

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
WTH is wrong with the verizon idiots? They raise the "control freak" bar right past the damn stupid mark!! This is still America!

ROFLOL! :D:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

kwp1911

Reaction score
The minute they try it, I'm taking my $100+/mo. service to another provider!

al15

Reaction score
Lose customer

If Verizon succeeds, they will lose at least one customer!

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Everyone should know that this is not going to happen. End of story.

Even if we know it won't happen (or will), the point that we're all pissed about is they are so arrogant they think they can, and should, and are trying to.

maaybraak

Reaction score
surferdave said:
They aren't really interested in making moral decisions about what you can or cannot see. They are interested in favoring the websites of parties who pay them to do so.

But no doubt once they use this excuse to route your browser to Bing instead of Google if Microsoft is the high bidder, special interest groups who specialize in being offended will start hammering them to censure the web, and they will fold like all companies do.

Couldn't have said it better.

Sent from my ICED. 235 DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

Tigre

Reaction score
Academic or Impediment?

How am I to know if the content I view is being filtered? If the types of things that Verizon is wishing to censor (and that may not be what you think) are the kinds of things that I don't notice in my own specific experience of the internet, then I am not impacted.
Unfortunately, the company offers very good service, when compared to its various competitors; it becomes difficult to choose to go elsewhere if it is just academic. On the other hand, should their actions become an impediment to the way I need to use the internet through their service, I would not hesitate to take my business to the next best cell option, letting my "dollars vote".