Do you think Motorola will overclockthe Droid??

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I've wonder this for a bit. Obviously if we can overclock on our own, I assume they can do a firmware upgrade that will overclock the processor. Anyone think that Moto will do this to help the Droid keep up with the upcoming and current faster competition??? Maybe not to the 1GHz level. But around 800MHz or so. Something faster but still stable.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I would guess not. The droid isn't the only phone they have to sell. They'd rather sell a stable product that doesn't fail during its warranty period than run into issues by exceeding the manufacturer's ratings. 550 to 600mhz isn't that much of a difference. Anything above that exceeds those ratings.

Dustinmj

Reaction score
Yeah that would be a poor move for them, business-wise... it's like giving something away for free. They've already sold you the Droid, so they don't stand to make anything by overclocking it.

Reaction score
Motorola would make MUCH more money by making a new phone with a faster processor and selling you that. They won't overclock the droid, that would only cost them money.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
They probably wouldn't, but I would buy a 800Mhz Droid over the 1Ghz Droid Incredible since it has a keyboard and Droid gets better benches at 1Ghz than the Incredible does anyway, so 800Mhz would make it aboutthe same.

Big Cam

Reaction score
The answer to your question lies in one word in your question. "over"

That means it will be working OVER what it was designed for, there is absolutely no way they will do this, especially when other phones can be sold for more that do it without going "over" what they perceive the standard to be.

R

Romple

They'd drop an OMAP4 in there before raising clock rates. WTB A9!!!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I no longer worry about the heat from overclocking. Outside in the sun the temp gets up to 120 or 140F (in which case it runs at stock speed), whereas indoors with overclocking I've not noticed anything above 112F.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I no longer worry about the heat from overclocking. Outside in the sun the temp gets up to 120 or 140F (in which case it runs at stock speed), whereas indoors with overclocking I've not noticed anything above 112F.

You may not worry about it; Motorola has to. Heat is the enemy of all electronic components. A chip's speed rating is calculated in large part on the basis of the percentage of units that will fail at a particular clock speed. A small percentage will fail running at the stock speed; a larger percentage at 10% above the stock speed; a still larger percentage at 20% above, etc.

The manufacturer determines a stock clock speed based on the tradeoff between performance and failure rates.

Your particular cpu may run fine at 800 mghz or even 1.2 gighz. And it may never fail. On the other hand, it will probably run fine until it's fried. You may not care and assume you can always get a replacement after your cpu melts. Of course, if that occurs you won't be in a position to put your phone "back to stock." And if your insurer determines you've modified the phone, it won't be covered by insurance.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
You may not worry about it; Motorola has to. Heat is the enemy of all electronic components. A chip's speed rating is calculated in large part on the basis of the percentage of units that will fail at a particular clock speed. A small percentage will fail running at the stock speed; a larger percentage at 10% above the stock speed; a still larger percentage at 20% above, etc.

The manufacturer determines a stock clock speed based on the tradeoff between performance and failure rates.

I understand all that. My point is that the risk from exposure to outdoor sun/heat is higher than overclocking. Now, you have an issue if you are running hot AND out in the sun, so they would have to do the same sort of variable clocking speed based on ambient temperatures. If I'm listening to music in the 115F Arizona sun, my Droid is probably over 140F.

What I'm saying is the sun/heat exposure will cause greater failure rates comparatively speaking, so presumably that is taken into account. This means that indoors it should be safe to runner hotter at the cooler ambient temperatures.

Point being, it's a one-size fits all clocking that probably takes into account what sort of heat it can tolerate while running max outdoors in the sun. This creates opportunity for the 95% of the time my Droid is not exposed to high ambient temperatures.

Last edited:

solorca

Reaction score

Your particular cpu may run fine at 800 mghz or even 1.2 gighz. And it may never fail. On the other hand, it will probably run fine until it's fried. You may not care and assume you can always get a replacement after your cpu melts. Of course, if that occurs you won't be in a position to put your phone "back to stock." And if your insurer determines you've modified the phone, it won't be covered by insurance.

That's when you "lose" your phone...