Do you still use K9 Mail?

brianlayman

Reaction score
I have 4 email accounts that I use with separate signatures. Has the built in/default droid bionic email program progressed enough to make k9 mail obsolete? If not, what is the quickest way to transfer settings?

Would love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks,
B

jspencer67

Reaction score
you have to use the Messaging Icon (which incorporates all Email Accounts/Text Messaging/FaceBook/Twitter) into one screen and you have to select which one you want to check

your email icon will only go to your default email

plus you can not (as I can tell so far) use multiple tone notifications for different accounts (so you know which account just received a new email)

IMO Motorola took a step backwards when it came to accessing/managing email accounts

stevo95

Reaction score
Using Touchdown, so far so good. TD was a bit of a frustrating app, but they have improved it and with the Bionic's faster processing capability plus the 4G connection, it seems to have improved performance further.

OP
B

brianlayman

Reaction score
you have to use the Messaging Icon (which incorporates all Email Accounts/Text Messaging/FaceBook/Twitter) into one screen and you have to select which one you want to check

your email icon will only go to your default email

plus you can not (as I can tell so far) use multiple tone notifications for different accounts (so you know which account just received a new email)

IMO Motorola took a step backwards when it came to accessing/managing email accounts

It sounds like the default email still isn't setup for advanced use. Having multiple sounds to tell me when to pull the phone out of my pocket to look is one of the reasons I switched to K9

Im sticking with the built in email ... working fine for me, used to use k9 ..

Do you use the phone for business email? How many email accounts do you have on it?

I guess I wouldn't be even asking about it if i didn't have to setup everything again. I'm tired of doing it for every reset/rom change/upgrade. I guess I'll finally go digging to see where it is stored. Maybe I can save it to the dropbox folder so that it always comes down to the phone even if I upgrade.

idefiler6

Reaction score
I picked up K9 on my D2 because stock Gmail would not allow copy and paste easily, and the default android email client had a 5 minute sync window. Is the stock moto email app THAT good that it can do all of that and more?

Milehighjc

Reaction score
I used K9 and Handcent on my Droid 1... havent installed either on the Bionic YET... trying to see how I get along in daily use, so far so good (2 days).

OP
B

brianlayman

Reaction score
From my reading backing up/transferring the settings for k9 mail requires root and adb. To do it more gracefully, Root and Titanium Backup is the best option. So that's my plan. And if that works, I'll probably set up my remaining email accounts on the Bionic too.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I still use K9 and Handcent. Didn't even try the programs that came with it because I like K9 and Handcent.

82DMC12

Reaction score
The reason I switched to K9 on my OG is because you couldn't quickly select a bunch of emails and delete them with the stock app on FroYo. Now that you can do that on the Bionic, I don't personally see a reason to go back to K9. Seems like it just WORKS.

TeeX

Reaction score
I still use K9 and Handcent. Didn't even try the programs that came with it because I like K9 and Handcent.

same here on both counts. I just restored those apps off Titanium Backup, so I didn't need to set everything up. Also, using Handcent, I was able to restore all my text messages from my old Droid X :)

bb_or_droid

Reaction score
It sounds like the default email still isn't setup for advanced use. Having multiple sounds to tell me when to pull the phone out of my pocket to look is one of the reasons I switched to K9

Do you use the phone for business email? How many email accounts do you have on it?

I am confused. I have my corp email and several gmail accounts. Each one has a separate notification tone without using 3rd party apps. What additional functionality do you seek?

OP
B

brianlayman

Reaction score
I am confused. I have my corp email and several gmail accounts. Each one has a separate notification tone without using 3rd party apps. What additional functionality do you seek?

Specifically that really. I want to have several IMAP email accounts with separate notification sounds and separate signatures.

This wasn't possible on the OG Droid. So I was asking if it is now. It sounds like you are saying it is..

idefiler6

Reaction score
My corporate account won't sync with either, so I have a shortcut to the webmail client if I ever need it. Got a blackberry for that but would rather just carry this bionic. If I could get into our VPN and sametime server for IM purposes, I could leave the BB home.

Renae

Reaction score
I'm using enhanced email and handcent. The stock program kept telling me that my password was invalid, pissed me off and put on enhanced, had bought it when k9 pissed me off.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk