Do You Need a Data Plan?

wuzuprad

Reaction score
Hey do you guys know if you can get this phone without a data plan? I like the family plan im on right now which has no data. All I want is a phone that is like an ipod touch with ability to get apps (android apps are fine), has built in GPS that is free (just like you would get if you buy a gps unit at the store) can get on a WiFi network to surf the internet, and be able to play games, store music and video/movies for playing with a good and intuitive interface. Id like it in a phone because i dont like carrying multiple devices to do all these things. I want a more powerful phone that does it all but just dont want to pay more then im paying now for a data plan. WiFi works for me.

I know with verizon a lot of times they require a data plan. I wanted a blackberry but did get one cause they would have forced me to get a plan for the phone.

Will I be able to get this phone with my current plan?

J

JohnDroid

You will always be able to get a phone without a data plan. You should be able to turn off data on your phone all together, I've done that many times when going out of country and when I don't want to rack up a huge data bill.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know the iPhone requires you to have the data plan and I thought even blackberry phones required it??

OP
W

wuzuprad

Reaction score
Yes I went to the verizon store about 6 months ago for my new phone after my contract was up. I wanted to get a blackberry because of the features of the phone. But I did not want a data plan. But they wouldnt sell me a blackberry without one. And ya the Iphone is the same way where its required. So I ended up getting stuck with a phone that doesnt do anything but txt and call people.

Im sorry im kind of a newb as far as phones go but im just wondering if i will be able to get the phone from like amazon or newegg and have it be "unlocked" or whatever and just tie it to my current phone plan? Thanks for the help so far though!

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yes all verizon phones as of i think november last year, if they can access the internet, basically all smart phones and dumb-phones, require data plans. I think the data plan pricing is a little different between the two but none the less it still requires a data plan.

OP
W

wuzuprad

Reaction score
Now is that only if you get the phone through verizon? Is it possible to say, get the phone from amazon or newegg or whatnot and just change your number over to that phone? I know you can change phones by calling a number and giving it the ESN number on the inside of your phone behind the battery. Then using the new phone to activate your number again. Know what i mean? Will this work if you can get the phone from somewhere besides verizon?

J

JohnDroid

They may require a data plan if you want the subsidized price, as they give you a bigger discount on the phone assuming you will be generate more revenue from a larger monthly bill.

However, the phone will work without data, so assuming you buy the phone outright you can use it without data.

OP
W

wuzuprad

Reaction score
Sweet! Thanks! thats what i needed to find out. Now i just need to know if the droid can be purchased from somewhere like newegg or amazon when it comes out. if so and if the price isnt too high (say no more then around $500 or so) then i will be seriously looking into getting this.

Thanks again for your answers!

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
it will likely be over $500. but really, getting a phone this powerful without a data plan is like buying a porsche without a motor... you could do some things with it like sit in it and make engine noises or adjust the mirrors, but it would really be kinda pointless. if you just want a mean texting device, look into an lg or an env2.. that would be more suited for what you want, and not at the (maybe) $500 price point. check out the new chocolate that is coming out... it looks pretty cool.

J

JohnDroid

it will likely be over $500. but really, getting a phone this powerful without a data plan is like buying a porsche without a motor... you could do some things with it like sit in it and make engine noises or adjust the mirrors, but it would really be kinda pointless. if you just want a mean texting device, look into an lg or an env2.. that would be more suited for what you want, and not at the (maybe) $500 price point. check out the new chocolate that is coming out... it looks pretty cool.

With WiFi he'll get the same benefits without the charge. Just depends on how much wifi coverage he has.

OP
W

wuzuprad

Reaction score
Really who needs a data plan? Every where I go there is free WiFi which is pretty much work, school and home. That pretty much sums up 90% of my day is in between those 3 places. Sure you might go out to eat or to a movie or something but why would i need internet access there? I just dont see the point of it unless they bring the costs way down from what they are now. So as stated, WiFi works for me. and no i don't just want a txting phone. Ive got one of those already, I want an all in one device. Movies, music, Free GPS navigation, games, and whatever other applications i might find useful. What i want is pretty much an iphone without a data plan and on verizon (with free gps as well) . Right now ive got an LG Dare and that phone is pretty much good for nothing but txting and calling people. And that is better then an Env2 and a chocolate in my humble opinion.

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
yeah, maybe i didn't understand what you wanted.. and something i wasn't taking into consideration was the wifi. i haven't had a phone with wifi, so the data plan has been necessary. but that really might work pretty well without it. good call.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
it doesn't matter if you get the phone directly from verizon or at&t or anything of the likes. First it would have to be an unlocked version of it... most unlikely to come out quickly (might be wrong). Second off, you would have to get a voice plan somewhere, it doesn't matter where you get it from (verizon, at&t, t-mob, sprint) they all will charge you no matter what, unless you can trick them into not doing it. Because most of the time they have to program is # with their network ID's and other crap. So basically just get the phone through one of the companies, save yourself some money because if you get it unlocked it's mainly for the purpose of putting it on a network that doesn't offer that phone. (i.e., Iphone on verizon) Companies give you a better deal on the phone up front because they get the money of the phone later on with your contract. Which is also the reason why you pay cancellation fee's. (I know they make ALOT more then just the small price of the phone back)

OP
W

wuzuprad

Reaction score
Thank you for that help. But new2u did you say you could get an unlocked iphone on your verizon plan?

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I was merely using it as a for instance, but I do know of people that had bought the iphone and unlocked it, and used it on a different network. I'm not sure if it was verizon or not. I think it was sprint or t-mob