Do We Really Need A Screen Protector?

cebosound

Reaction score
I just got my case for my Galaxy Nexus. Now I was thinking I need to pick up a screen protector to be closer to fully protected. I have done some research and have narrowed down my choices to Zagg Invisasheild or SGP Steinheil. I have used screen protectors off and on over the years. But I have came across some info saying we don't really need screen protectors these days when considering the type of screens our phones have now.

So my question I pose to you is.... Do we really need screen protectors?

And if so, what kind do you like?

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
These glass screens are so much more scratch resistant than what was on the old phones (Blackberry, Palm, etc.) that I've stopped using screen savers. I carried a Droid 1 in my shirt pocket for two years, a Bionic for 3 months and now the Gnex and I've yet to have any type of scratch. I know others have, so these screens aren't scratch proof. If I worked in a sandy environment I might consider a screen protector, but otherwise I'm good. YMMV

markgam

Reaction score
The screen protector not only protects your screen from scratches it also offers some protection to your screen if you drop your phone. It could keep your screen from breaking.

Sent from my TBolt

pool_shark

Reaction score
I don't believe a little flimsy piece of plastic will prevent your screen from cracking.
I haven't used a screen protector since my Treo 700P 6 years ago.

markgam

Reaction score
I don't believe a little flimsy piece of plastic will prevent your screen from cracking.
I haven't used a screen protector since my Treo 700P 6 years ago.

Believe it, it has a lot to do with physics but I will not bore you with the details.

Sent from my TBolt

jsan2727

Reaction score
on my old Droid Incredible I had many small scratches just from dry fingers, don't know about my new bionic

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Just because something has fortified glass does NOT mean that it is scratch or crack resistant. I wouldn't take the chance. I would much rather spend the $10 to get a protector than risk scratching a $700 piece of electronics! ;). I've seen lots of horror stories! ;)
I've never just had a plain screen.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
A simple way of putting it is, plastic is much better at absorbing an impact than glass. Adding a thin piece of plastic between your phone's screen and the tile floor you accidentally drop your phone on can definitely reduce the chance of a shatter.

After all, plastics used in screen protectors are hydrocarbon polymers, the same material rubber is made out of.

Alvarez13

Reaction score
[video=youtube;uyLC61JxsJQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyLC61JxsJQ[/video]

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Keys are mostly made of brass and nickel, which can't scratch glass.

The video looks nice, but those materials don't scratch glass.

Insidious

Reaction score
A screen protector actually saved my butt once! I was on a bus with my phone next to me, and as the driver sped up my phone flew out of the seat, landed face first on the ground and slid. (This was like a week after I got my phone too). Horrified I snatched it up and to my dismay I see a huge crack. My heart sunk, I ripped of the screen protector to inspect the damage, but surprisingly there was so crack. The screen protector was what had a crack in it. Not sure if it was luck or physics, but I'm thinking it was a bit of both.

Sent from my Cellular telecommunications device, manufactured by Motorola.

JRParsons

Reaction score
A screen protector actually saved my butt once! I was on a bus with my phone next to me, and as the driver sped up my phone flew out of the seat, landed face first on the ground and slid. (This was like a week after I got my phone too). Horrified I snatched it up and to my dismay I see a huge crack. My heart sunk, I ripped of the screen protector to inspect the damage, but surprisingly there was so crack. The screen protector was what had a crack in it. Not sure if it was luck or physics, but I'm thinking it was a bit of both.

Sent from my Cellular telecommunications device, manufactured by Motorola.

Had a similar situation, placed a drill next to my phone with the bit against the screen, huge scratch, thought screen was ruined. When I pulled off the screen saver the glass was fine.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Had a similar situation, placed a drill next to my phone with the bit against the screen, huge scratch, thought screen was ruined. When I pulled off the screen saver the glass was fine.

Now a reinforced drill bit would definitely scratch glass=P Nice to see the protector helped.

I honestly don't want to use a protector on my Nexus because the front of this device is so beautiful, but man do I feel better just tossing it around in my pocket and on my desk with my new Steinheil protector on it. It's a nice feeling not having to worry in the back of my mind that I'll pull it out to a hair line scratch from a piece of sand that got stuck in my pocket.

down1plus2

Reaction score
I ve had Droid x, x2, Bionic, and never used a screen protector. I've never had issues with stratches on my phones. Hell I figured if I crack the screen that's what I pay insurance for. Just my. 02

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums