Disassemble Droid X?

jackmccarron

Reaction score
I want to disassemble my DX. It has only two visible screws under the battery cover. If I remove those will the back pry off or what??? Anything I need to be extra careful doing??

Thanks,
Jack

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nope, you have other screws under the backplate near the camera to remove as well.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I am sure there are more than 2 screws....They are also located under the water damage stickers.

If you do it....video tape and pics would be appreciated. :D

cae312006

Reaction score
Thats understandable but the phone isnt a week old yet. I would atleast give it a couple of weeks!!

OP
jackmccarron

jackmccarron

Reaction score
Sure, science plays a part, but the real reason I want to disassemble it is to find the "external antenna" connector which I've been told is definitely back there somewhere (Don't ask Verizon or Motorola techs - they all say "what antenna port?").

The reason I'm interested is I'm a full-time RVer, and I travel often to remote areas of the US where reception is poor. For years I've used a direct connect external amplifier (JDTeck.com) and external antenna to boost my phone signal (often from 1-2 bars to a solid 5 bars).

Newer phones no longer provide "public" antenna ports, but most have hidden under the battery cover one (or more) tiny connectors for "test purposes". With caution and due respect for the fragility of these very small connectors, they can be used for direct connection to an external booster. That's what I'm after. Since there is no visible connector under the battery cover, it must be hidden well.

By the way, I do NOT see any more screws up near the camera or elsewhere. Please give me some hints on where these extra screws are. Also, what is a water damage sticker? All I see is a paper ID/bar code sticker glued to the thin plastic sheet that also serves as the battery "lifter-upper". Perhaps there are more screws under the plastic sheet??

I do notice a small hole with a tiny red and white label under it near the SD card. Could the connector be under that hole?? What is the red/white thing for - tamper sensor, water damage sensor?

Ideas?

Thanks,
Jack

PS - I know there are "newer" velcro patch antennas for phones without "public" antenna ports. However, any antenna that couples "inductively" or electromagnetically from outside the phone case will lose about 10db of signal strength versus a direct connection. For this reason a new breed of antenna amplifiers has cropped up that have about 10db more gain than the older types. I now use two of the older ones (in different locations) that are perfectly functional. Since I paid about $250 EACH for these things, I'm not in the mood to junk them to buy two of the newer type with the velcro antenna.

JP 5.56

Reaction score
Yes the red/white little sticker is the water damage indicator. If it gets wet the red bleeds and turns the whole thing pink, indicating it got wet. its probably got a screw behind it.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
external antenna is where you plug in the head phones. that's why if you try to run fm radio it asks you to plug in the headset with round plug.

OP
jackmccarron

jackmccarron

Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the awesome link to Droid X Dissected! | Droid X – Blog dedicated to Droid X News and Accessories!

That was just what I needed!

See those two little square whitish things at the top of the "motherboard" near the camera. Those are the RF antenna connectors. The white wire (near the camera) referred to in the link is very likely the antenna itself or leads to it. The other connector is probably the "external test antenna" port I'm looking for. So now, a small hole drilled in the back near the battery removal strip should allow me to plug into that port. Another small hole in the battery cover just above that will get me to the outside world and to my antenna amplifier. Strong signals here we come!dancedroid

Now to find the antenna adapter cable that plugs into it. I think I know where to get that.
Thanks much!
Jack