Disappointed with microUSB, mini USB and power supply with Verizon. Expensive for $29

teek

Reaction score
Could somebody help me and share the pin-out of the micro-USB cable that came with the Droid? I am planning to use my Casio Car adapter CA-K65.
(6Volts/1A, PureDC adaptor) to charge my Moto Droid. I guess I just need to figure where is the +5V out on the regular USB cable pinout and I just go from there.

How come they (MOTO, Samsung, LG, HTC and Pantech) don't come up with just one standard like for example 5.2V and 888 milliamp and just one connector to charge our cell phone? Now I have to go out and spend $5.00 just to get a moto accessory miniUSB-to-microUSb just to charge my Droid.

It is not just about the money. It is also about not polluting our environment. I have a gazillion of wall-wart in my closet and thinking of ebay'ing all of them.

Thanks,
Teek

baaldemon

Reaction score
Micro-usb is a standard, simply buy a microusb connector from a local computer store. Been using multiple cables bought from micro center with no problem.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Micro-usb is a standard, simply buy a microusb connector from a local computer store. Been using multiple cables bought from micro center with no problem.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

x2. Micro usb is the new standard for all cell phones to combat everyones drawer full of useless adapters now forward

iPirate

Reaction score
They are working on requiring a standard in europe. the micro USB seems to be the current standard for recent smart phones and the detachable USB cable is a very nice feature motorola has provided

dwagner88

Reaction score
I've noticed that over the last two years, every phone in our house has started to use the same chargers, with the exception of my sister's iTouch. I haven't had to buy a car charger in over 2 years.

OP
T

teek

Reaction score
Which one is the "Plus" on moto cable?

I will just go the easy route and use electrical tape and don't solder. I found a moto H390 bluetooth charger cable with miniUSB connector. Now one last question, by examining the cable I noticed that one side has a white paint.

Is the solid black negative and the one painted with broken white "positive"?

BTW, This site is very helpful, lot of answers for a short period of time.

OP
T

teek

Reaction score
Got it fixed. I used the Phillips 4.5V 650ma car power supply and works flawlessly. The side with broken white line is positive.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
650mA is on the low end and will trickle charge. I suggest getting as close to 1000mA/1A as possible.

How come they (MOTO, Samsung, LG, HTC and Pantech) don't come up with just one standard like for example 5.2V and 888 milliamp and just one connector to charge our cell phone?
As stated above, microUSB is a standard and 5V is standard for USB. As for the amps -- it really depends on the power requirements for the device.

Disappointed with microUSB, mini USB and power supply with Verizon. Expensive for $29
You don't have to buy from Verizon. There are plenty of far cheaper options.

Last edited: