Disable smilies?

stevether

Reaction score
So I'm not happing with the funky little green dudes smiling at me. Is there a way I can change them to the regular old :) smilies or get rid of them all together?

I prefer removing them all together...

mjk

Reaction score
I'm also wondering if it's possible to just have "normal" smilies instead of the Droid ones.

pwo

Reaction score
I figured out how to remove the android smilies...

Get an Iphone....hahaha lol,lol. No, seriously I have know idea....

Toolman21

Reaction score
I would be interested in changing these as well. More specifically I had a LG phone and now when someone not using a droid sends me smilies or the faces that were included with the typical LG phone that spot is just blank. Any way to get those enabled again on a droid? Seems like an oversight to me...make it not compatible with the other thousands of phones out there. Maybe just me I guess...

chriskent85

Reaction score
ive noticed that mine had those little green guys to begin with but now they arent there, i dont remember changing anything but i am using handcent, I did look on my old text app that came with the phone and the little green men arnt there either

mjk

Reaction score
Little green men are still there for me.

cnturn4401

Reaction score
Chriskent...you are not going crazy....my droid smileys are back to regular ones now also. I did not change anything and am not runnind handcent. I kinda liked them and wanted them back:motdroidhoriz:

mgx

Reaction score
MOD EDIT: don't know how this got missed so long ago but buh bye

Last edited by a moderator:

mgx

Reaction score
lol, i want to remove them and deleting them from framework-res.apk causes force close and replacing with a 1x1 transparent pixel shows up with no smiley at all

zaiger

Reaction score
MOD EDIT: don't know how this got missed so long ago but buh bye

That aside, sorry for necroposting, but I figured it was better than starting a new thread for the same thing that has already been asked before. Anybody have any suggestions for a different text messaging app if removing the 'little green men' is not possible? I like the stock text messaging app and would like to continue using it, but honestly they really bother me. It is like they are mocking me every time I post an emoticon. I even try just typing colon, close parenthesis for a normal textual smiley face, but with the autocomplete on I end up having to delete the colon and go back and redo it or else it takes the space out. I should not have to press 6 buttons just to make a smiley face that isn't this ugly green alien WHO ISNT EVEN AN ANDROID! He's an alien!!! PLZ HELP ME D:

Last edited by a moderator:

mgx

Reaction score
lol best way is to replace them with pictures of the text

lttle_bear

Reaction score
Chomp SMS has an option available to disable smileys all together. Anyone figure out how to replace alien smileys with normal ones though?