Solved Disable screen overlay?

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
So I recently got my Force, and as I'm going through setting things up, I've gotten the message asking to allow or deny Google permission for the location, and occasionally when I hit allow it says I need to go to settings and disable screen overlay...but for every app it's said this, that app isn't actually listed anywhere in the list of apps with a screen overlay?

For instance I tried making a new appointment with my calendar. I could enter in the date/time fine, but when I tried to enter the description, this message came up. So I tap the link it gives me to 'Settings,' but no sort of calendar anything is in there.

Any ideas?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's a weird bug that I've seen a few times on my Z & my wife's S7. I'm not sure what causes it.

When Google Duo came out, we wanted to try it, but she was getting that message on her S7.

After Allo came out, she decided to try Duo again & it didn't give her the Screen Overlay issue.

I know that doesn't help you much, but at least you can know that you're not alone.

Sent from my Moto Z

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Actually it helps knowing I'm not alone! That's exactly the same as my case...there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason. I'll try it again later and it'll work fine, then another app does it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Idk if it's a Google Play Services issue or an app by app thing, but your definitely not alone.

I've seen others on the forum come across the same issue as well.

Sent from my Moto Z

omar908

Reaction score
I had a similar experience as you are having. It continuously asked me to turn off the overlay of the app even if the app was just installed. Turns out it was another app that was causing the issue and they wanted it to be turned off. In my case I use "Nightly" which is an app that darkens the screen brightness for when used at night, when it was on the message kept coming back until I turned it off, only then would the message not come up.

Sent from my VS986 using DroidForums

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I went through the same exact thing. I could barely do anything because I kept getting that stupid screen overlay pop-up. Drove me crazy! Finally discovered the problem.

What it is: an app that has an overlay (can sit on top of your screen or on top of other apps) that is interfering with you being able to allow permissions of all other apps.

How to solve the problem: when you get to the overlay settings turn off any apps that have an overlay. I did one app at a time so I could discover which app was causing the problem. Once you have turned off the overlay of the app that is causing the problem, you will be able to change the settings (allow permissions) of the app you're trying to work in. You can then go back to turn the overlay back on.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I went through the same exact thing. I could barely do anything because I kept getting that stupid screen overlay pop-up. Drove me crazy! Finally discovered the problem.

What it is: an app that has an overlay (can sit on top of your screen or on top of other apps) that is interfering with you being able to allow permissions of all other apps.

How to solve the problem: when you get to the overlay settings turn off any apps that have an overlay. I did one app at a time so I could discover which app was causing the problem. Once you have turned off the overlay of the app that is causing the problem, you will be able to change the settings (allow permissions) of the app you're trying to work in. You can then go back to turn the overlay back on.

Excellent support, @TisMyDroid !

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Sorry for the delayed response, but I'll just confirm that it was indeed an app! Honestly I have no idea which one, I just went through my list and deleted maybe 10-15 apps I thought could be a culprit...sure enough it hasn't happened since. Wish I could say which one specifically, or maybe it was multiple...but app cleanup did indeed help, thanks so much everyone!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
mine was Systemglow. Many apps I install "go there". I just follow the taps, scroll to turn it off, tap back, turn Systemglow back on when done.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
mine was Systemglow. Many apps I install "go there". I just follow the taps, scroll to turn it off, tap back, turn Systemglow back on when done.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><
Mine was start. It's rather a pita, but I do the same; turn off screen overlay for the start app then turn it back on when done.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Mine was start. It's rather a pita, but I do the same; turn off screen overlay for the start app then turn it back on when done.

It is a little faster than tapping accept permissions every time an app updates in the Play Store though for those like me that update them manually. 1 bugger of a thing than multiples. Blame it on the Russians, the Chinese, Taliban, nefarious developers, whoever is responsible for the need for better security on our devices. It's the new norm.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

OP
k1ngr4t

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Not sure if it's something I do or a moderator does but feel free to mark this thread as Solved!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not sure if it's something I do or a moderator does but feel free to mark this thread as Solved!
Apparently, the green badge is disabled for this section, so I did it the old fashioned way. I'll look into the badge tomorrow. That kinda stuff is easier when I'm at a PC.

Sent from my Nexus 6P