Digital Copy Movies

maksdad07

Reaction score
I have downloaded several digital copy movies onto my computer into windows media player. I have windows vista on my pc. I have the app Stream Media Player on my droid. When I try to sync the movies to my droid I get an error in media player. All that it says is error, have tried transferring over usb and straight to the memory card. I did copy a couple of the free videos that came with media player to my droid and they will play audio but the picture is frozen. Then when it is finished playing it gives error #48. Any suggestions?

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.....

I am almost positive that you will have to get yourself some video editing software and convert these videos into files the Droid can read properly......check out DVDCatalyst

D

dvdcatalyst

I have downloaded several digital copy movies onto my computer into windows media player. I have windows vista on my pc. I have the app Stream Media Player on my droid. When I try to sync the movies to my droid I get an error in media player. All that it says is error, have tried transferring over usb and straight to the memory card. I did copy a couple of the free videos that came with media player to my droid and they will play audio but the picture is frozen. Then when it is finished playing it gives error #48. Any suggestions?

If your "Digital Copy" files are the ones from Bluray and some DVDs, below might apply.

a search for Digital Copy brings up the following

Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum - Search Results

To save you the hassle of reading through them: Tunebite: Start

In short, because of the DRM on the files, conventional conversion methods do not work. TuneByte (or the other apps that claim to do it) basically "record" the file while it is played on your computer, similar as when people were dubbing VHS tapes.Of course your digital copy needs to be activated on the computer you are using.

In my opinion, its easier (and better quality) to just rip the DVDs.

If the files are not, please keep in mind that for video the Droid can NOT play WMV files. it supports WMA audio, but not WMV video.

butch350

Reaction score

I am almost positive that you will have to get yourself some video editing software and convert these videos into files the Droid can read properly......check out DVDCatalyst

Only thing is - dvdCatalyst - on some newly released DVDS will not record the movie in proper sequence, (example, Star Trek 2009), it's like watching the movie in shuffle mode. It has to due with copy protection
by sony. It throws in a lot of extra data to confuse the dvd ripping program.

I spent the $9.95 on the software to download ST 2009 my favorite movie - and imagine how surprised I was when I started watching the movies with out-of-order-scenes.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Only thing is - dvdCatalyst - on some newly released DVDS will not record the movie in proper sequence, (example, Star Trek 2009), it's like watching the movie in shuffle mode. It has to due with copy protection
by sony. It throws in a lot of extra data to confuse the dvd ripping program.

I spent the $9.95 on the software to download ST 2009 my favorite movie - and imagine how surprised I was when I started watching the movies with out-of-order-scenes.

That is due to the newer encryption on them...Look for AnyDVD and it works with Catalyst and does a great job of fixing that problem.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've also found that the free version of "Any Video Converter" works great, as well as Handbrake, as long as you use the ffmpeg codec and not the h264 codec.

OP
maksdad07

maksdad07

Reaction score
I don't think dvd catalyst will work because I buy my movies on blu ray and my cpu does not have a blu ray player. The only way I get movies on my CPU is through the digital copy. I used doubletwist to convert and copy gijoe to my droid but it plays scrambled. all of my movies say they will not play because they are drm. doubletwist works great for my files that are not drm. all of my movies play fine in windows media player. Is there a windows media app for the droid, or does anyone know if one is coming? maybe with android 2.1. I think until this happens that i will be out of luck.

D

dvdcatalyst

I don't think dvd catalyst will work because I buy my movies on blu ray and my cpu does not have a blu ray player. The only way I get movies on my CPU is through the digital copy. I used doubletwist to convert and copy gijoe to my droid but it plays scrambled. all of my movies say they will not play because they are drm. doubletwist works great for my files that are not drm. all of my movies play fine in windows media player. Is there a windows media app for the droid, or does anyone know if one is coming? maybe with android 2.1. I think until this happens that i will be out of luck.

I would not hold my breath for a Windows Media app or an MP4 app that would handle Digital Copies.
Both Apple and Microsoft are not too happy with Android, and since both "Digital Copy" formats are for their apps/devices, I doubt that they will port it to a competitor. In addition, because of the opensource-nature of Android, I dont think that any DRM system would be ported.

To convert these DRM-infected files, you will have to convert them using a "recorder" program on your computer, such as TuneByte. Basically you activate your digital copy file on your computer so that it can play unscrambled there.
then you use TuneByte to record the video and audio of the file while it plays it, similar as dubbing a vhs tape with 2 vcr's.

There are other programs out there that use a similar technique as well, but tunebyte seems to be what quite a few people like to use here, mainly because there is a free version that tends to work well for it. I have not used it myself though.

OP
maksdad07

maksdad07

Reaction score
I know this may be a dumb question, but with all the napster lawsuits one can't be too careful. Is tunebyte, dvdcatalyst and stuff like that legal?

ntrddragn

Reaction score
I know this may be a dumb question, but with all the napster lawsuits one can't be too careful. Is tunebyte, dvdcatalyst and stuff like that legal?

its all legal. you stated you bought the movie and are trying to back it up. these software just provide a means to your end thats all. they dont promote downloading pirated movies. :) dvd decrypter is also a good program that will remove the drm protection as well as the one that were mention above.

D2redneck

Reaction score

Hell that's not a dumb question I was going to ask the same one lol.