Different gps voices?

Reaction score
Is there an app or a way to change the voice on the GPS? Like can I download other voices such as some GPS can. Like lets say I wanted, oh I don't know, Mr. T(I pity the foo' who don't turn left!) or, for sake of example, Darth Vader(Turn right, it is your destiny). Upon some exploring of my SD card I discovered where the stock voice is stored so I wonder if it would be possible to replace those, but does anyone know for sure how to that?

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wanna do this. too The voice is too....something. I dont know what but I dont like it. I want a more natural sounding voice.

OP
ClaudioKilgannon
Reaction score
Yeah I don't really care for the voice either. The files on the SD card are just wave files so theoretically they could be replaced with other sounds. Im going to try and find some and get back with you guys sometime.

superglen99

Reaction score
This would be most excellent. My bro in law got a garmin gps and it has tons of cool voices. How have they not made an app for this yet??

OP
ClaudioKilgannon
Reaction score
That I know of? No I have not seen one although I may be wrong. The voices for the GPS are saved as .WAV as I said and there are 5 total. I don't have time to work on it this weekend, but hopefully I'll be able to convert some of the files I downloaded after a quick Google search.

Beanfire

Reaction score
I would also like to see if anyone knows how to change them, maybe some files as well...

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think we'll see anything like this for Google Nav given its text to speech synthesis. A GPS nav app that actually uses a library of sound clips could have very different voices. It's possible that future TTS technology would be better suited for different voices but when I change the existing TTS options I don't find the differences to be all that significant.